Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my 1500 had set up all winter and I got it out for a spring ride I noticed she was not herself.Loss of power, slippage at inclines and the warmer it got the worse the issue. Now that its June it's time to do something.
So first thing was to change the oil and filter. Always use oil formulated for a motorcycle's engine. It's not a car so don't use car oil. Anyway didn't fix the issue. I also noticed overflowing coolant from my reservoir. I had not added any lately. So changed out thermostat, radiator cap, checked water pump impeller and added engine ice. Definitely helped running temps but still slipping.
So after dreading an expensive clutch replacement at my local shop I read of similar issues related to dirty clutch fluid on this forum. Man was it dirty! I should be kicked for letting it get in this shape. So removed left side running board, removed left side cover, and wallah there it was the clutch master cylinder. So removed all old fluid and gunk from reservoir, using my brake bleeder air pump ran about a half can of dot 4 fluid through the system. If you can bleed brakes at all this is a simple procedure. Keep clutch handle pulled in.
Results were no more slippage, just raw Vulcan power! Thank you forum members.

·
Registered
72 Posts
maybe I'm being silly but if you have no problems doing all that you mentioned, why would you take it to a shop to a clutch R&R. if ya don't mind my askin

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727AZ using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts