Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get a conversation started specifically about the Vulcan S.
I’m 6’ 230lbs. I’d like to occasionally ride double with my wife who is 5’4” and xxxxxlbs. Every guy knows that’s a suicide mission to post that number! She’s little!
Anyway it will be my first bike after being without a bike for 15 years.
How will it work out or should I go to a 900?
Also how is chain maintenance? I don’t want it to be something I have to obsess over.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If riding two-up is the end-all in the decision here then clearly the S can't win. Otherwise, I can't see how it could be particularly troublesome on this bike.

Here's a nice write-up from a guy who had a blast touring two-up on it (the link's gone bad or there's a problem with the site so here's the page saved as a PDF):

Belt drive would be great though!

·
Registered
904 Posts
You can ride 2-up on the KVS and the parts are available, from Kawasaki to do it. (For those that didn’t have it from the factory) IMO, if it were my goal to plan on 2-up riding as a big part of my motorcycling, I certainly wouldn’t choose the KVS. The 900 is the least way to go.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I just think neither bike is ideal for 2 up riding of any long distance. Short rides yes. The Vulcan S suffers from one thing in this Comparisons and that is the thought "bigger is better". If you don't care about performance and a smooth parallel twin engine but just about the v look and sound then go for the 900.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I may not ride double a whole lot. But when I do my main concern is keeping up with traffic and not being a hazard on the road. Comfort wise, my wife is small but I still want her to enjoy the ride.
Agreed, a belt drive would be great.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Neither bike is ideal for two-up riding but if only riding with your wife occasionally then buy the bike you enjoy most on your own, full stop, no need to think more deeply than that. Makes no sense to compromise your own riding enjoyment for a pillion you’ll only use now and then.

If wifey will be riding with you frequently then frankly you need a larger bike, not for power, but for comfort.

For what it’s worth, I’ve ridden with passengers on a 1986 250 Honda Rebel, a 1986 750 Yamaha Virago, a 2000 1600 Yamaha Road Star and a 2010 1600 Triumph Thunderbird. They all managed but the Road Star was the only bike that did so without some sort of compromise to handling & comfort.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts