Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Vulcan S Shock Absorber

9110 Views 90 Replies 24 Participants Last post by  Event Horizon
Thought you guys might like this. I found this pit bike shock on Amazon and decided to take a chance on it. It fits my 2017 and definitely works better than stock, though I don't have much time on it and haven't played around with the air pressure or spring preload.I had to drill out the top bushing, but otherwise it bolts right up. I got it for just over forty bucks and it's decent. No damping adjustments, but fully rebuild-able. Check it out.

Reactions: 1
41 - 60 of 91 Posts
Got my update of August 8th.
Just got the same update. Looks like they are back in stock.
AlveyTech 12" Adjustable Shocks for Go-Karts & Mini Bikes (Set of 2) (12 mm Eye Diameter) https://a.co/d/g8m35mC

Here's one that has a 12mm bushing. I don't want red though.
Just arrived. Next rainy day, I'll install it.
Mine is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I'll install it on Friday night so I can test out over the weekend if this rain ever decides to quit.
Okay, so I installed the shock this afternoon. The install was easy. I drilled out the top bushing and used some stainless steel thick washer as spacers to make up the difference in width. It actually stopped raining for today so when out and took a ride. I found the roughest road I could find to test out. Overall the ride on good roads is about the same. Shock still feels firm and not mushy. On the rough roads the bumps were nowhere near as harsh as the stock shock. For what little this shock cost, it is so much better than stock. Definitely worth the money and effort.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system
See less See more
Jerry...Can I use a hand drill or I need a drill press for this mod?
Can you tell me the sizes (thickness, ID, OD, quantity) of washers i should get for spacer?

Thanks
Jerry...Can I use a hand drill or I need a drill press for this mod?
Can you tell me the sizes (thickness, ID, OD, quantity) of washers i should get for spacer?

Thanks
Yes you can drill by hand drill. I used 7/16" and 1/2" stainless steel washer I had already. I'll have to see if I have any left to measure.
Thank you Jerry. I got the 12mm drill bit but have not find the time to open up the upper bushing yet.
Received my $50 aftermarket shock from Amazon this week. Was curious what the air pressure was so I tested it with several gauges and they all read 0psi. Tried to charge it but it won't hold pressure. I even replaced the Schrader valve thinking maybe it was stuck. Amazon is sending a new one next week. I read in a previous post someone said they measured 72psi. Has anyone else measured the pressure?
Received my $50 aftermarket shock from Amazon this week. Was curious what the air pressure was so I tested it with several gauges and they all read 0psi. Tried to charge it but it won't hold pressure. I even replaced the Schrader valve thinking maybe it was stuck. Amazon is sending a new one next week. I read in a previous post someone said they measured 72psi. Has anyone else measured the pressure?
Used my digital Milwaukee inflator...it reads 0 psi also...but i turn ON the inflator for few seconds...then it reads around 100 psi
Used my digital Milwaukee inflator...it reads 0 psi also...but i turn ON the inflator for few seconds...then it reads around 100 psi
I tried an old analog tire pressure gauge with a dial, a digital one made by Slime and my Ryobi battery powered inflator with digital readout. I could inflate but within seconds pressure was back to zero, guessing a bad seal inside somewhere. There was no paperwork with my shock, just wondering what pressure others are using.
Just installed the new spring but I forgot to check the air pressure :cry:
Update, received replacement shock from Amazon. Pressure was about 70psi. I made spacers to make up the difference between shock widths at the mounting ends. Put spacers on the outboard side of the shock, doesn't seem to be a clearance problem. Went for a ride and WOW, great improvement. No more bottoming out on big bumps and the overall ride quality is smoother. I've spent $500 on aftermarket shocks on other bikes and this $50 unit improves the ride just as much.
Reactions: 3
Ok so after I installed this shock air pressure was 0, installed a right angle tire valve adaptor and managed to get 72psi. Noticed I can’t get anymore than that. I’m honestly not sure what to make of the shock overall seems better on the larger bumps but a lot harsher on the rough roads. I havnt adjusted the preload yet. Anyone manage to get more psi or play with the preload?
I received the replacement today...the pressure reading was zero also (sent back the first one...pressure reading was zero too).....wonder if i got another defect one.
I could not put air into this one either
I received the replacement today...the pressure reading was zero also (sent back the first one...pressure reading was zero too).....wonder if i got another defect one.
I could not put air into this one either
For me the air valve on the shock is short and none of of air equipment would push the valve enough to let air in. I ended up buying a right angle attachment and that solved the issue.
Probably you are right...but why are these shipped without air in them? I used a nail tip to push on the valve, no air came out.
Probably you are right...but why are these shipped without air in them? I used a nail tip to push on the valve, no air came out.
Yeah not sure looks like some users above had air. Mine had 0 as well, I contacted the seller with a few questions but no constructive answers so far.
The shock so far hasn’t been great. Went for a 400km ride over the weekend and thought the ride was a little harsh on smaller bumps, when I got home checked the air pressure and it was 0.
I didn't check the air pressure on mine. I just installed is as it came. It was a big improvement over stock. First smooth ride I've had in a long time taking the KVS to work.
I didn't check the air pressure on mine. I just installed is as it came. It was a big improvement over stock. First smooth ride I've had in a long time taking the KVS to work.
Sorry but can i ask you what weight you are? Also did you make any adjustments?
41 - 60 of 91 Posts