Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried using a bigger diameter bar (1& 1/8in) on the vulcan S?
I know the stock bar is 1in in the center and goes to 7/8 on the ends, Im also wondering what adapters are available that will fit the vulcan S that will take 1&1/8.

I see a lot over universal adapters but want to see if anyone has done the same before i start purchasing adapters.

Any bit of info helps. Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Im not really going for ape hangers, but that thread had some good info on it. I really like the look and style of the protaper contour bars. They have 7/8" ends but the center is 1-1/8".

If not these, any recommendations of similar looking quality bars that actually fit the Vulcan S?
I will be contacting indian to very diameters and fit to make sure it doesn't contact the tank.

https://www.protaper.com/category/12/handlebars/contour

·
Registered
907 Posts
I seen a video on YouTube where a guy installed drag bars on his Vulcan S and he did have tank contact problems:
https://youtu.be/-oPiBWtQsOA

Switching bars can change steering dynamics of a bike, for a rider, so it’s smart to ask questions before committing to a change.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the input! i definitely don't think i will be doing drag bars due to the contact with the tank. I still want a bit lower bars and don't mind sacrificing stock dynamics. So i will just keep looking.

·
Registered
15 Posts
thanks for the input! i definitely don't think i will be doing drag bars due to the contact with the tank. I still want a bit lower bars and don't mind sacrificing stock dynamics. So i will just keep looking.
Im also in the market for similar bars.. I saw the video in the above post before. I like the look but I dont think I would like it to be so low. I feel it may hinder some steering ability and functionality especially with the forward gear controls. I want it to be low but not that low.

The contour bars look nice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Im also in the market for similar bars.. I saw the video in the above post before. I like the look but I dont think I would like it to be so low. I feel it may hinder some steering ability and functionality especially with the forward gear controls. I want it to be low but not that low.

Protaper's Adventure bar looks similar to the stock bars as far as shape but look like it could be a bit lower.
First pic is the stock mid reach bar
Second pic is the Protaper Adventure Bend
Third pic is the Protaper Adventure High Bend

Not sure how much you would lose as far as handling but the adventure high looks like it would be a good compromise.
I ordered some adapters for the 1 1/8" bars and will be trying to see if they will even fit on under the tachometer. I'll keep you posted on the results and from there will choose to stay stock or try the adventure highs.

Attachments

·
Registered
907 Posts

Actually, I think the guy says he was going to change his bars back because the steering dynamics of those drag bars really sucked the life out of the Vulcan S agility.
I’m on the mind of getting the reduced reach Kawasaki bars to try. I’d like to have the bar ends more turned inward, like my 800 has.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually, I think the guy says he was going to change his bars back because the steering dynamics of those drag bars really sucked the life out of the Vulcan S agility.
I’m on the mind of getting the reduced reach Kawasaki bars to try. I’d like to have the bar ends more turned inward, like my 800 has.
I currently have the extended reach bars since the owner I bought my VS from was a a bit shorter. I was actually thinking about putting the other bar back on in hopes of it feeling more comfortable until I can find some other ones. I have long enough arms as it is.. I dont need any assistance reaching the bars lol.

Im just kind of hesitant because it kind of seems like a hassle to install.

Do you have any pictures of the bars on your 800?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Protaper's Adventure bar looks similar to the stock bars as far as shape but look like there could be a bit lower.
First pic is the stock mid reach bar
Second pic is the Protaper Adventure Bend
Third pic is the Protaper Adventure High Bend

Not sure how much you would lose as far as handling but the adventure high looks like it would be a good compromise.
I ordered some adapters for the 1 1/8" bars and will be trying to see if they will even fit on under the tachometer. I'll keep you posted on the results and from there will choose to stay stock or try the adventure highs.
Those Adventure Highs look pretty nice.. I'll definitely be following up for an update! Getting bars and some new mirrors is next on my list.

·
Registered
907 Posts
I currently have the extended reach bars since the owner I bought my VS from was a a bit shorter. I was actually thinking about putting the other bar back on in hopes of it feeling more comfortable until I can find some other ones. I have long enough arms as it is.. I dont need any assistance reaching the bars lol.

Im just kind of hesitant because it kind of seems like a hassle to install.

Do you have any pictures of the bars on your 800?
Here’s the 800 bars. They are 1” OD. These are sort of turned down on the ends also. Really comfortable for me. Not at all like the Vulcan S dirt bike bars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update: The 1 1/8” adapters won’t work due the dash brackets being used to hold the handlebars.

I will be looking to find 7/8” bars with shims to ensure proper fit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just an update: The 1 1/8” adapters won’t work due the dash brackets being used to hold the handlebars.

I will be looking to find 7/8” bars with shims to ensure proper fit.

Did you ever find good bars that fit? I'm looking for a similar style you posted about.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did you ever find good bars that fit? I'm looking for a similar style you posted about.
I did. I used the protaper s/e bar. I have been using a set up now for the past 8 months now. I’m actually changing back my bars again.You can have mine for $50 if you want. I’m changing them because I got my controls moved back and now the position is too aggressive for me. I’ll post pictures this weekend for you to see this weekend.

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you could post pictures, that would be great! Not sure if I want to pull the trigger on the bars just yet. I see you have the Revolt Vulcan S as your profile picture, is that where you got the inspiration to do the swap?

Was the steering/control of the bike greatly affected by changing the bars? I'm also guessing it was too uncomfortable for you to ride since you're switching back. How tall are you, if you don't mind me asking. Just trying to get some solid info before I commit to making the change. I like the position of the mid-ergo OEM bars, but I want a bit more aggressive look.

I actually was piecing together parts and then I came across the Revolt Vulcan S and found I'm doing something kinda similar haha.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I was able to set mine up similar to the revolt bike.
Not sure how far your riding was but I mainly road for pleasure and short commutes. From my experience the I was pretty comfortable. I overall like the slightly aggressive position. The steering and controls were noticeably effected but not so much that it wasn’t a bother at all.
Also, I am not switching back to my original extended reach bars. Im actually trying to find different bars that will make my riding position more comfortable. I’m only switching because I moved my foot controls back and are more mid controls now. With the foot controls farther back and the handle bars more forward, i basically have a super aggressive riding position. Think of sport bike position on a cruiser lol.
I’m 5,6” and I enjoyed the look of it until I decided to move my foot controls back then I got too uncomfortable.
Another thing I ran into was the control area on the handlebars was a bit tight fitting all the controls back on compared with to the OEM bars. So there isn’t as much room. Not an issue just something I observed.

I’ll post pics by the end of the weekend. Sorry haven’t gotten a chance yet, it’s just by the time I get home it’s dark out and my garage lights don’t have the best lighting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes I was able to set mine up similar to the revolt bike.
Not sure how far your riding was but I mainly road for pleasure and short commutes. From my experience the I was pretty comfortable. I overall like the slightly aggressive position. The steering and controls were noticeably effected but not so much that it wasn’t a bother at all.
Also, I am not switching back to my original extended reach bars. Im actually trying to find different bars that will make my riding position more comfortable. I’m only switching because I moved my foot controls back and are more mid controls now. With the foot controls farther back and the handle bars more forward, i basically have a super aggressive riding position. Think of sport bike position on a cruiser lol.
I’m 5,6” and I enjoyed the look of it until I decided to move my foot controls back then I got too uncomfortable.
Another thing I ran into was the control area on the handlebars was a bit tight fitting all the controls back on compared with to the OEM bars. So there isn’t as much room. Not an issue just something I observed.

I’ll post pics by the end of the weekend. Sorry haven’t gotten a chance yet, it’s just by the time I get home it’s dark out and my garage lights don’t have the best lighting.
Yeah I've only been riding for a few hours at a time max. Hoping to take some longer trips this summer with some buddies. Glad to hear it was comfortable. I saw a video of a guy who put drag bars on and said it was uncomfortable. I'm a little taller than you, so I'm hoping it will be comfortable for me, but there's only one way to find out haha. I've also got mid foot controls, so it'll be a nice experiment for me.

I saw in a previous post of yours that you needed shims for the bars to fit correctly since the OEM bars are 7/8" on the ends, but bigger in the center (maybe?). My bike is in my buddies garage for the winter, so I don't have access to it (it's fucking killing me) to measure. What shims did you get?

And take your time with the pics. I'm not going to be putting them on until closer to spring probably, if I decide to do them at all, along with a new headlight because I think the OEM one looks cheap and ugly. I'm putting my TBR exhaust on next weekend just because I'm impatient and am having withdraws from not being able to wrench on anything in this damn cold weather!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I've only been riding for a few hours at a time max. Hoping to take some longer trips this summer with some buddies. Glad to hear it was comfortable. I saw a video of a guy who put drag bars on and said it was uncomfortable. I'm a little taller than you, so I'm hoping it will be comfortable for me, but there's only one way to find out haha. I've also got mid foot controls, so it'll be a nice experiment for me.

I saw in a previous post of yours that you needed shims for the bars to fit correctly since the OEM bars are 7/8" on the ends, but bigger in the center (maybe?). My bike is in my buddies garage for the winter, so I don't have access to it (it's fucking killing me) to measure. What shims did you get?

And take your time with the pics. I'm not going to be putting them on until closer to spring probably, if I decide to do them at all, along with a new headlight because I think the OEM one looks cheap and ugly. I'm putting my TBR exhaust on next weekend just because I'm impatient and am having withdraws from not being able to wrench on anything in this damn cold weather!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the late reply, I got pretty busy. Here are the Bars (Pastrana Bend) I bought but I did experience a tight fit between the control areas. I think the KX Low or the Carmichael has more room, but I didn’t try those bends myself. Also I cannot find the type of shims I used but I sure any 7/8 should work fine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts