Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a Vulcan S Cafe - I don't do any servicing/repairs myself so please bear with me.

If the oil seal has been damaged underneath the bike, causing a leak, does the engine need to be stripped down in order to replace/fix it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No need to strip the entire engine. The seal is replaced with every oil change.

Envoyé de mon SNE-LX1 en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
904 Posts
If your talking about the oil drain plug, then no. There’s an aluminum crush washer that’s usually replaced every oil change. If it’s leaking from somewhere else under the engine, it could very well be possible it will be more work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks both! Some plastic sheeting blew right under my bike on the motorway yesterday and wrapped itself round my chain and seized it all up. When I eventually got home after having it all removed, the bike had a big oil leak so it is in the shop and they said it may need the engine stripping down to fix it but they won't know till they look at it. The sheeting has obviously damaged something underneath, right in the middle above the side stand.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Thanks both! Some plastic sheeting blew right under my bike on the motorway yesterday and wrapped itself round my chain and seized it all up. When I eventually got home after having it all removed, the bike had a big oil leak so it is in the shop and they said it may need the engine stripping down to fix it but they won't know till they look at it. The sheeting has obviously damaged something underneath, right in the middle above the side stand.
Wow! That’s one of the biggest dangers out on the highway. Stuff blowing around and taking you off the bike. People don’t cover loads and stuff falls off and out. I’ve seen plenty of it and thus try and stay off my local highways.You’re very lucky and I’m glad you’re ok. I’d let the techs worry about the bike.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Debris on the Streets and Highways present a very serious danger. On Trucks watch for tires getting ready to disintegrate. I was behind a truck once when that started to happen and I accelerated to get ahead of him just before the tire shredded and rubber pieces were flying everywhere. Once I was behind a Pick up truck on the highway when he hit a bump and out of his bed came a large shovel that barely missed my head. Another time I was ready to pass a truck on the interstate and couldn't see around him when I started to move to the other lane there was a Recliner in the middle of the highway. I instantly moved back to the right lane but I wasn't fast enough. I hit the recliner with part of the exhaust and my foot. I kept control of the bike but the the exhaust header took a hit and was crushed and I ended up with 2 broken toes. I guess it could have gone a lot worse. Even if you think you are careful, be more careful. It's a dangerous place for a motorcycle and the rider. In Minneapolis, Minnesota they deemed that Motorcycles are too dangerous for the Police and they disbanded their Motorcycle Police Force. They think with more and more distracted drivers out there it is just to dangerous. So no more Motorcycle cops in Minneapolis.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's amazing, that the police have ended motorcycle cops! Glad you survived those awful experiences, I don't know how I kept my bike upright but managed to get on to the hard shoulder ok. Just worrying about the damage now, there was a lot of oil coming out from underneath, right above the side stand. Strangely enough I didn't see it till I got home, there were no warning lights on as I rode the 40 miles home.

·
Registered
653 Posts
That's amazing, that the police have ended motorcycle cops! Glad you survived those awful experiences, I don't know how I kept my bike upright but managed to get on to the hard shoulder ok. Just worrying about the damage now, there was a lot of oil coming out from underneath, right above the side stand. Strangely enough I didn't see it till I got home, there were no warning lights on as I rode the 40 miles home.
I had a couple of frightening experiences where fluid was lost but it wasn't oil!:surprise:

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
There should have been a RED light that comes on if the oil pressure drops. Happened to me once but in my case it was a bad oil pressure sensor. Got it replaced under warranty. Hope your damage isn't going to be too bad. The engine only holds 2 quarts or roughly 1.8 liters of oil so it can't afford to loose a lot of that oil. Good Luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There should have been a RED light that comes on if the oil pressure drops. Happened to me once but in my case it was a bad oil pressure sensor. Got it replaced under warranty. Hope your damage isn't going to be too bad. The engine only holds 2 quarts or roughly 1.8 liters of oil so it can't afford to loose a lot of that oil. Good Luck!
The only time I saw a red light was when I turned the key and once I started the engine it went out. It did not come on again whilst riding....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts