Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've found a 2016 Vulcan S that I really like.

Unfortunately, the bike hasn't had its first service and its sitting at about 3200 miles... (i.e. still has the break in oil in it)
The first owner returned it to the dealership after about 400 miles and the second owner (who was very new to motorcycles) took it from there.

Unfortunately the second owner wasn't told about the need for a first service and now its done 3200 miles...

They'll be doing the first service in the coming week but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the Vulcan S(and if it hasn't been broken in properly)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Considering the hard break-in vs easy break-in debate. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Check out this video on the hard break in concept.
Yes, there could have been some micro pieces of metal floating around that weren't caught by the filter.... but what are the odds? Who knows. You have to assume the filter did it's job and picked up the metal shavings that came from breaking in the engine. I believe Kawasaki uses regular oil from the factory rather than a break in oil. So 3200 miles on regular oil isn't too bad. I'd just have it serviced and enjoy! :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh, so it doesn't use break in oil? I thought all bikes still use it for the first 600 miles

Is the 600 mile service interval for the first service (oil change etc.) just for checks really? I was under the impression that it is the most important period of the bikes life

·
Registered
123 Posts
My understanding of the first 600 mile service is critical for bolt tightening. IE they tighten the wheel lugs to XX lbs at the factory, but then with riding vibrations, heating, and cooling.... after 600 miles they need to be re-torqued to XX lbs again. So the first 600 mile service is critical for your safety as a rider, not for the longevity of the bike. That's my understanding.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, that's interesting.

What about the metal particulates in the engine right after it was made? Wouldn't they be floating around? Or would they all get captured by the filter?

Definitely leaning towards picking it up if the break in oil isn't so much of a problem

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I don't think there is such a thing as "Break In Oil". But regardless if there is or isn't. The Vulcan S has only a 2 quart oil capacity and keeping that oil in there for 3200 miles can't be good. I did my first oil change at 100 miles. Just to get the old gunk out of there and put in some fresh stuff.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Large ones are captured by filter. I would think anything from manufacturing would be large enough to be caught by the filter.

There has long been discussion about the chance of small "micro" metal filings not being picked up by the filter. These are the filings generated as you wear down the "honing" or "cross hatching" on the cylinder, as discussed in that video. There has long been conjecture that they could make small dents / tears in the o-ring, but I don't think its been proven.... it's more like a better safe than sorry, change the oil early and often because it's only 2 quarts and it's cheap :).

The easiest way in my book to tell if you have blow by on the cylinder wall is oil color. If you put new oil in, run it for 1000 miles and drain it.... is it golden brown? If so, you are good. If black and blue... put fresh oil in and sell the bike :) I know, I know... I'm a terrible person :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Every bike I've ever had has had the oil color change from golden brown (new) to dark brown/black within 1000 mile, none of them had any issues with burning oil or blowby. Is your oil always golden brown when you drain it?

Didn't realize the vulcan S engine had such a small engine oil requirement!

If the engine did have issues with blowby because the first service was 2,500 miles overdue, would it be obvious at the first oil change? I thought it would affect the engine's life but wouldn't lead to blowby till later on

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, changed oil yesterday. It was in the bike for 352 days and 826 miles. Came out looking brand new. Such a waste of 2 quarts of oil, but I change it every spring regardless of miles.

Generally my oil is still see through / clear unless I have a problem. If there is an issue I see it in the oil long before white or blue smoke comes from the tailpipe.

I ride my bike hard. Warm it up for 3 minutes in the driveway before I get underway, but once I hit the road it's Wide Open Throttle every chance I get!

I break my engines in on regular oil and then move to synthetic after 1500 miles.

·
Registered
653 Posts
If the bike hasn't followed the prescribed scheduled service then technically it's out of warranty. I'd be offering a price that matched bikes that are at an age that reflects out of warranty status because you would be assuming the risk of engine failure when you bought it.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
just change the oil on that bike, you can put in rotella T4 15w40 conventional with a new wix filter

·
Registered
34 Posts
I’d beat the hell out of that to get the price down, but if it’s running fine and isn’t blowing smoke, I wouldn’t worry about any long term effects. That said, if they don’t come down in price enough to make it worth your while, walk away and buy one that you feel good about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's blowing smoke already - it's got serious issues!

Never really heard of anyone leaving their first service this late so not really sure what happens...

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you examine the oil drained at a 600 mile first service with a flashlight beam, you will see it glittering with micro-fine, flour consistency metal particles that are small enough to move freely through the filter and accumulate in the circulating oil. During break in it has been working as an ultra fine polishing compound that only smooths bearing surfaces at the molecular level. The filter sifts out everything else.

During the second oil change after a few thousand miles these tiny suspended particles are few and hardly visible.

I would be sure to whine about it when negotiating, then go home and drain the oil while it is hot and stirred up, change the filter, and never look back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok you guys have convinced me to go for it!

My mechanic is unhappy with it but has recommended a couple of short interval oil/filter changes (~600 - 1200 miles between them) once I get the bike.

He's convinced that the engine will have a significant amount of additional wear compared to an engine of the same miles but with the oil changes done correctly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
He's convinced that the engine will have a significant amount of additional wear compared to an engine of the same miles but with the oil changes done correctly.
Hmm, I think you will be fine. With 3200 miles on the original oil, who knows, maybe you have the same wear as if it had gone 5,000 miles with a first service change at 600 miles and one since, which would be normal. (The second oil change on my Vulcan 900 is 3700mi on the service chart, I assume it is the same for the 650.)

A Kaw engine at 5000 miles is broken in and happy, with its whole life ahead of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just because the service book is not stamped, it doesn't mean the oil has not been changed
,you say it came out like new ,at that mileage I would expect some discolouration,

I would get on it stop moaning and get riding it in
you lovely biking weather ,
its very cold and wet over here

1 - 20 of 32 Posts