Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, I know...but I'm an engineer

Thanks to the admittedly small alternator there are only a 25W of accessories you can add to the Vulcan S (per the manual)...so I did the "power budget" you see below. Remember, exceeding the 25W limit means the alternator might not be able to charge the battery adequately.

OEM accessories:
OEM fog lights (LED) 16W (1.3A)
OEM GPI 2.6W (220mA)
Subtotal for OEM accessories = 18.6W...only leaves 6.4W of overhead for the OEM power socket.

LIGHTING LOAD (OEM):
City light in headlight bucket is 5W
License plate light is 5W
Turn signals (4) are 10W each
Headlight is 55/60W H4 Halogen
Total lighting load is (w/hi beam on) = 110W

So if you can't MAKE more power, SAVE some power:
Convert the city light, all turn sigs and lic plate light to LED, this means load is now (3.4W x 4)+(1W x 2)= 15.6W; a reduction of 34.4W.
Convert headlight from 55/60W H4 halogen to LED H4 (i.e Cyclops)20/40W, net reduction of 20W on High beam.

This reduces total lighting load for OEM lights from 110W to 55.6W on hi beam, 105W to 35.6W on low beam...a total reduction of 54.4W w/high beam (use the highest load).

NOW total accessory load allowed over OEM stock config (no accessories installed) is the 54.4W you saved by the conversion, plus the 25W normally allowed in the manual.

79.4W allowed minus 20W (aftermarket LED driving lights) = 59.4W left.
59.4W minus 2.6W (aftermarket GPI) = 56.8W left.
You could then add about a 4.75A additional load - but note the accessory circuit has a 5A fuse and I'm already using about 1.8A of that fuse rating to power driving lights and a GPI.

Adding heated grips (Oxfords consume about 4A) could be viable, but I recommend they be powered directly from the battery thru a relay controlled by the accessory circuit; easy enough as a set of accessory circuit leads are under the seat, and two sets are available behind the headlight.

Additional note - if you convert your turn signals to the LEDs, change out your turn signal relay to the type that supports LEDs to avoid the 'fast flashing' syndrome.

City/license plate lamps are type 194.
OEM Turn signals are Philips 10293 RY 10W NA amber; replace with LED BAU15s.

Of course if you were really paranoid about overtaxing your alternator you could add another relay to cut out your heated grips when you run the hi beam..or just rig it to shut off your driving lights

Ride safe!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for working all of this out. Nice work! :) We can squeeze out quite a bit more power if we need to! I have not installed any accessories just yet but do plan on also changing the license plate light. I had extra bulbs from changing out the City light but did not bother checking if those bulbs could be used somewhere else.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's what I discovered as well; LED 194 lamps are usually sold as a set of two, so I thought I had a spare, until I checked the schematic.

I've also ordered some yellow LED BAU15S lamps; I still have to pull the turn signal relay so I can replace it with an appropriate one meant for LEDs.... Will advise when I find a suitable cross-match.

Cyclops H4 LED headlamp is now on order.

The whole point behind this exercise is to eventually enable me to install heated grips on this Vulcan S, which is actually my wife's bike.

Happy wife = lower noise level on the BT intercom LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for doing your homework as it will give me a head start.
I already have the OEM driving lights, OEM GPI and the DC Socket fitted.
I also want to install heated grips and the R&G tail tidy.
The available usable power is a concern.

2016 Vulcan s

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A likely candidate for the turn signal relay (FE218BH) replacement (for LEDs) is the Competition Werkes MPH-U2R; it has a rubber retainer strap and an adapter harness that looks like it will fit the connector on the Vulcan S:

I ordered one ($17.46, Amazon) and will test fit...of course the relay is under the gas tank so I'll wait until my replacement aftermarket GPI comes in so I don't have to loosen/raise the tank twice

·
Registered
130 Posts
I installed the Cyclops Headlamp tonight. What a difference. No dead spot on the road either. I think they have finally nailed the design. Anyway, what 194 brand were you thinking of? So many on Amazon.

The White headlamp looks silly now with an orangish city light. hehehehe.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I installed the Cyclops Headlamp tonight. What a difference. No dead spot on the road either. I think they have finally nailed the design. Anyway, what 194 brand were you thinking of? So many on Amazon.

I have the Cyclops headlight and got these from Amazon. They are a very close match in temperature color.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

SiriusLED Super Bright 1W 360 Degree Projector LED Bulbs for Interior Car Lights Gauge Instrument Panel License Plate Dome Map Side Marker Courtesy T10 168 194 2825 W5W 6000K Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RRBP4WE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-FEQxbNT48Q6D

Cobue...question(s) - when you installed the Cyclops headlamp did you have to use any of the spacers to adjust the low beam cutoff, and did you need to re-aim the headlight?

·
Registered
130 Posts

SiriusLED Super Bright 1W 360 Degree Projector LED Bulbs for Interior Car Lights Gauge Instrument Panel License Plate Dome Map Side Marker Courtesy T10 168 194 2825 W5W 6000K Xenon White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RRBP4WE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_-FEQxbNT48Q6D

Cobue...question(s) - when you installed the Cyclops headlamp did you have to use any of the spacers to adjust the low beam cutoff, and did you need to re-aim the headlight?

I did not have to use the provided spacer. The cut off for the low beam was about 4" higher @ 20' with this bulb so i did adjust it some then i rode for about 2 hours in and around the city, no flashes at me from oncoming traffic, also the only time i lit up a back window was on a 70's something Buick who's susp was clearly gone and sitting way lower.

Note: Any low sitting sports car i.e. Corvette will probably hate you at a stop light. But, they will know you are there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks...that's what I needed to know.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Susp squat and setting may matter also? I'm 5' 10" and approx 210 - 215#'s (depending on the weather, i work outdoors for a municipality so i shed pounds quick when it's hot out) my susp is set on the third from softest notch.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Installed the Cyclops lamp...easy peasy...just waiting on the LED turn lamps and relay now.

Also installed Skene P3 aux brake lights, as my wife indicated she wanted better conspicuity from the rear...I assumed she was talking about her bike lol.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Installed the Cyclops lamp...easy peasy...just waiting on the LED turn lamps and relay now.

Also installed Skene P3 aux brake lights, as my wife indicated she wanted better conspicuity from the rear...I assumed she was talking about her bike lol.

Excellent, can't wait for pics.

·
Registered
183 Posts

I am interested in the Skene lights. My bike would also like some better conspicuity from the rear :grin2:. How was the install? Where did you route the wires?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
CONFIRMED- The Competition Werkes MPH-U2R is a good replacement for the stock relay and will also work with the OEM incandescent turn lamps...so you can retrofit now and then go shop for LED turn lamps. I bring this up because it's much easier to do this when you're low on fuel than having to wrestle (or de-fuel) a full tank .

It's an easy changeout - remove side panels (1 bolt each), ignition key surround (4 bolts), remove the 3 tank bolts and raise the tank a little - just enough to reach the relay (left front under the tank). Have a helper hold it...this won't take long.

Unclip the existing relay from the rubber shock mount, plug the (supplied) adapter cable into the bike and new relay, then hook the relay on the shock mount.

Ride safe!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think it's been mentioned regarding fuses but considering that the Headlight and Auxiliary power run on separate circuits, will the increase in current flowing through the AUX circuit risk blowing fuses more frequently?

You can nip/tuck the total amount of power consumption by reducing the power drawn from headlight and indicators, but the the AUX circuit is still limited to the 5A fuse.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts