Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I joined because I was just given a vulcan 1600 classic in exchange for some work I did but I would like to make this bike into a bagger with a fairing and I wanted to know if there was anyone that installed a shark nose frame mounted fairing on one and could give me advice

·
Registered
201 Posts
I dunno, the roadglide has a sheet metal bracket that holds the instrument/dash and headlamps assembly onto the frame, and surrounds the fork. The outer-skin of the shark nose fairing attaches to that assembly. The windshield is attached to that. Turn signals are bolted below, via HD chrome mounts, with studs. If you can get ahold of a wrecked roadglide, you could scavenge the parts off of that. If not, Harley has all those parts, but it'll cost 'ya! Good luck...

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
So there are companies out there that sell conversion kits for a road king; not sure it that helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had a 2006 Harley Road Glide, before my current 1700 Voyager. The newer roadglides have a vented section just below the windshield. The problem with the sharknose is wind buffeting. There were several deflectors available from HD, and the taller windshield was available, too. That cured my buffeting, but heard a lot of other owners of both the older and the newer version that had that problem. Also, when I bought a deflector ( snapped onto the engine guard, under the fairing, between the forks) I noticed the "Motor Company" offered a version of that same deflector to fit the newer style. I traded mine in on this current Voyager - no buffeting on it!

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I had a 2006 Harley Road Glide, before my current 1700 Voyager. The newer roadglides have a vented section just below the windshield. The problem with the sharknose is wind buffeting. There were several deflectors available from HD, and the taller windshield was available, too. That cured my buffeting, but heard a lot of other owners of both the older and the newer version that had that problem. Also, when I bought a deflector ( snapped onto the engine guard, under the fairing, between the forks) I noticed the "Motor Company" offered a version of that same deflector to fit the newer style. I traded mine in on this current Voyager - no buffeting on it!

The Rushmore fairing is free of buffeting, have a 15” freedom Shield Sport Touring Shield on my ‘18

To the Op: Buy a Roadglide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
201 Posts
Oh - I see you used a "Batwing" fairing (usuall, fork mounted)? I was talking about the "Shark Nose" off of a Road Glide. That one takes a bracket, mounted to the frame. Sorry it didn't work out. Still - something to be said for a full view touring windshield, instead of a fairing. A friend went to an Electra Glide, and switched back to a Road King - found out he didn't like the fairing, after all.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Also you will need to change out your stock risers and bars you will need either very short risers or a sweep back style with wider bars at least 12" width at center. Then you get into cables are wire lengths depending on what bars you decide to go with. Not trying dissuade you just letting you know what can of worms you're opening when you get into it. Currently im saving up for the whole bagger kit from tsukayu, they make kits specific to the metrics with that classic bagger look.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Oh - I see you used a "Batwing" fairing (fork mounted)? I was talking about the "Shark nose" off of a Road Glide. That one takes a bracket, mounted to the frame. Sorry it didn't work out.

The kit from tsukayu is about $1200 but comes with the fairing hard bags and the touring trunk with the queen seat back rests as well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts