Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided it was time to retire my 1982 XJ750J. I just picked up a 2005 Vulcan Nomad 1600D from a local dealer. The bike is in great shape, but didn't have a wind screen or passenger back rest. However, the dealer had the parts in the back and offered them to me as they were just going to discard them. I have a couple of questions with the existing parts, although I will also use this thread for any future questions so I don't have information all over the forum.

The back rest is built into a trunk. I like the trunk as my helmet fits inside and it matches the bike. Can anyone tell me how much it changes the ride? I wouldn't be putting much additional weight in the trunk, but wonder how it will impact the handling of the bike. I'm not looking to spend more than absolutely necessary to have a back rest and this option is included with the bike.

Second, does anyone know anything about the bat wing or the brackets in the pictures attached? I couldn't find a brand name on the unit or the brackets. I prefer the stock wind screen, but would like to try this out since it was included in the sale. I haven't been able to find an answer to whether or not the Vulcan Classic windscreen will fit the Nomad, but that might be an option. I have the lowers as well. However, if there is a better way of attaching the unit to the bike, I might like to keep it.

Finally, any general advice regarding the bike, such as maintenance issues to watch for so they don't get missed and cause a problem?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
279 Posts
If you decide to not use the tail trunk and rack I'd be interested to buy it. PM me.

Nice choice on the Vulcan. I have about 1150 miles on mine that I first picked up in mid-July. I got it cheap because 2nd gear doesn't work (big project coming up this winter). This is my 1st ever cruiser, and I still ride my two BMWs as well. I like the relaxed attitude of the Vulcan on the road. On my BMWs I like to attack the road. On the Vulcan I like to cruise the road.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you decide to not use the tail trunk and rack I'd be interested to buy it. PM me.

Nice choice on the Vulcan. I have about 1150 miles on mine that I first picked up in mid-July. I got it cheap because 2nd gear doesn't work (big project coming up this winter). This is my 1st ever cruiser, and I still ride my two BMWs as well. I like the relaxed attitude of the Vulcan on the road. On my BMWs I like to attack the road. On the Vulcan I like to cruise the road.
I will definitely keep you in mind if I decide not to use the trunk. I am going to try it out before deciding what to do. I like the idea of having a secure place for my helmet as well as more space if I go on a longer ride.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trunk is on the bike

You won't even know the trunk is on there.
You were absolutely right. I was rather apprehensive putting the trunk on, but now I can't imagine not having it. It holds the helmet, riding jacket, and gloves with room to spare. Now I need to figure out how to mount the front fairing, as I haven't found a brand or model number on it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts