Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan EN500 and I want to rebuilt it but without the cooling system on the front.
What do you think guys what would be the best idea to replace it with or what could happen if theres no cooling system on the engine ?!
This could be a stupid question for lot of people and I have my own opinion on this and did my research about this but I'm here to discuss and learn more and not to be judged or trolled, so please be nice and leave the unnecessary comments out of this.

Thanks a million.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Here goes...

The 500 is a liquid cooled engine. Without a cooling system, the engine would overheat and suffer catastrophic failure in short order. The only time I could see running without a cooling system is on a purpose built drag bike or similar that only sees track use.

Other than that, it is possible to relocate the radiator and fan to another location. I see this quite frequently on mud trucks and so on where the radiator would quickly get gummed up from mud, leaves, etc. Unlike those vehicles, you have very, very limited locations to mount the radiator assembly on a bike. Add to that the reduced airflow across the radiator and I just don't think its easily achieved while keeping a reliable, streetable bike.

Anything is possible in theory, it just depends on how much work you're looking to put into it.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
What DKC said.

I will add that the Vulcan 500 engine is, as are all internal combustion engines, a Heat engine. They generate power as well. This heat must be managed and is done via coolant and a radiator. Some engines are engineered as Air Cooled and will operate without a radiator. The Vulcan 500 is Not air cooled.

If you were building a dragster where engine running time is measured in seconds you could discard the radiator.

How this helps.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
1 - 4 of 4 Posts