Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm probably going to get some hell from some of the members.. but right now I ride a '96 Honda Shadow VT600C. It was my first bike I bought to learn how to ride and cheap enough that if I decided I didn't like riding I could sell it and not lose any money. Well... I can't stay off of it. Anytime the sun is shining I'm out on the road.

I'll keep this short. I decided to order new tires for my bike so I stopped by a Kawasaki dealership that friends have gone to and said nothing but good things about it. And there I saw it... a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom in burnt orange. I'm going to take it for a test drive on saturday, and what kills me is i just got my car paid off so I know I have the extra cash for the price I was given to pick up this bike and sell my shadow.

And the point of the thread: to everyone that has the 900 Custom... how do you like it? I've been reading reviews and watching movies all evening, but the best way to know is to ask the people that have one.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i have an 07 900 custom for my first bike and have been loving it ever since. for the moment i wont trade her for nothing. its not the bike payment that kills you its the mods that your gonna start dong to it that drains the wallet.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I also have an 07 900 custom, my first bike. I love it. It starts to feel a little buzzy around 70 but for cruising the 900 custom is awesome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol... I'm not new to modding... I have an 01 Tacoma on 31's and an 07 civic si with about 8 grand bolted into/onto it.

The only thing I find weird is the 80mm width front tire. I have a 100mm front tire on my shadow.. And I know 20mm makes a noticible difference. I've ran 215's then upgraded to 235's on my car and the handling was amazing. I assume I could relate that to bikes as well. But since I'm semi new to the bike scene I just want to make sure. I'm sure if it wasn't safe they wouldn't be selling them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have an burnt orange 09 Custom and love it! I like it so much I really don't have any real mods in mid for it. I'm not new to bikes or modding, I'm just satisfied with the off the show room look and performance. This may change down the road, but for now I'm just cruising around with a big smile of satisfaction.

·
Registered
719 Posts
The 80 front tire is not a problem and a 90 will fit. Except for needing a sixth gear which several bikes lack the 900 is reliable and a good all-around bike.

·
Registered
742 Posts
'08 Candy Lime Green Custom here...

love it! had an '09 Classic before then after it got totaled and i received payment for it, i put it all down on this one and couldn't be happier. the "feel" of the Custom is nicer for cruising around but the Classic was great for touring.

the only specific gripe i have for this bike is pulling into parking lots with the skinny front tire... alot of the lots have raised curbs even on the apron and if you turn too tight into them, you'll smack the rim!?!?! gotta take the extra little effort to come as straight on as possible when entering. unfortunately, i didn't see the high lip pulling into a WaWa one time and heard & felt the rim hit... now i have a constant reminder to look out for them!!!

great bike... wouldn't trade for anything but i will be getting a larger cc bike and one made for touring for longer rides later! :)

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
My '10 Custom SE will never replace my VTX1800C for riding comfort on long rides nor will it replace my CB750 Night Hawk for hard rides on narrow mountain roads. Having said that, I'm delighted with the bike for short trips and rides around town. It was the style that sold me and the price. I've put another 2 grand into the bike and get nothing but raves from my fellow bikers as well as total strangers. However, if someone offered me a good price for it, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. JMHO

·
Registered
76 Posts
I traded in my 1997 Honda Magna 750 in for my Kawi 900 Vulcan Custom SE back in May after being on nothing but Hondas for 32 years. Honda just didn't come out with anything I liked that was in my price range this year. The Suzi M90 I test rode made me feel like I was riding a tractor, with that stretched out position and 725 pounds to deal with. My new bike does not have quite the power as my Magna and I spent a lot of time worrying about that aspect. Then I rode the Custom 900. Wow. What a fun bike to ride and my body adapted to it like I had been riding it for years. It was so comfortable (once my feet learned where they were supposed to be).

Going from the Shadow to the Vulcan is a great choice, in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Answering this question is easy...

12k miles (so far), and not a single mile of regret. :D 1-up, 2-up, city or highway...

Get it, you'll *LOVE* it!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I ride an '08' Custom that I bought brand new 2 years ago this week that has 33,000 trouble free miles. I've done all the oil changes and scheduled maintanince and have had no problems with her at all. The size of the tire {although I do have a 90/90} The bike handles really well, loves the twisty roads. I have never felt, like alot of people, that the 900 has to work so hard to cruize at freeway speed, always handles whatever I have been able to through at it, from LA freeways to long distance touring. The 900 Custom is a great bike, I can only highly recamend.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm probably going to get some hell from some of the members.. but right now I ride a '96 Honda Shadow VT600C... <snip!>
And the point of the thread: <snip!>...ask the people that have one.
I don't have a C-model, but since I've never let my lack of expertise prevent me from opining on a subject :D, I'll add a few thoughts...
Why would we give you hell for rolling a Honda???
I hate bike bashers! If there was one "best bike" on the market, there would be only one bike on the market. Honda makes fantastic bikes! So does Kawasaki, Suzuki, HD, etc... One of the things I LIKE about this forum is that there seems to be a lack of the ignorant bike bashing I've witnessed from other forums. As long as you get your knees in the breeze, it really does not matter which mount you choose, as long as it suits your purposes.

I came VERY close to buying a C-model instead of my LT. I love the looks of the bike, the alloy (tubeless!) rims, and it fits me well. I was concerned about the front tire, which is thinner than those on the classic-which in the end suited MY purposes better. I also enjoy the convenience of the bags and the windshield on my LT. The VN900 is a great bike in any flavor. Despite the skinny front tire, the C turns well, and is very forgiving in low speed maneuvers. It's not a particularly quick bike (50HP), and the motor makes more racket than I'm used to. It's got longer legs (bigger fuel tank) than bikes in its class, and it seems to be less maintenance intensive and more reliable - according to wrench swingers that I talk to.
In the end - as they say in the MSF course, YOU have to RIDE YOUR ride!
Final thought:
DO NOT pay retail for your new bike! A quick run through "fleabay" (paying attention to the "fine print additional fees!) will reveal the true market price of the bike. I drove 900 miles to purchase my scoot, and saved enough money to buy a trailer to haul it on. :cool: The "freight, assembly, documentation", and other fees at my "local" dealership were (are) outrageous!!! So are their labor rates ($15/hr MORE than my HD dealer:eek:)

Don't pay more than you have to.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
782 Posts
As you have seen already, the folks that ride these bikes love them, even if there are a couple little quirks to the bike. But I think you will find that anyone who spends as much time on a vehicle as we do on our bikes, will start to notice the little things that make that vehicle special. And none of these little things on the 900 are deal breakers. They are just part of what it means to own a 900. Overall the 900 is a great bike whether you ride the Classic or the Custom.

Also, the 600 Honda is a fine bike in its own regard. The engineering of that bike is sound and Honda has always been good at taking care of the details. But several reviews I have read as well as comments from a friend that owned a 600 and then switched to a 900, lead me to think that if you make the switch you will wonder why you didn't get the 900 the first time. The 900will have more power and should be much smoother at highway speeds. Hope you decide to join the family.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I got my 900 last year and as soon as the initial break-in was over, took it on a road trip from MN to AZ and back. To my mind, the 900 is the best all-around street bike on the road. Custom or classic is merely a rider style preference.

I have lowered the rear 2", added a Scootworks rear pulley, and stuck a car tire on the rear. I believe lowering the bike enhanced the looks as well as making me feel more "in" the bike. The pulley enhanced the highway experience (IMO). The tire's more of a fiscal desire and a bit of the rebel coming out in me.

I own a '05 750 Honda Spirit, the '09 900 Custom, and a '10 Harley Wide Glide. The 900 is my daily rider and what i'll use on trips. That should tell you how i feel about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
DO NOT pay retail for your new bike! A quick run through "fleabay" (paying attention to the "fine print additional fees!) will reveal the true market price of the bike.

Don't pay more than you have to.:rolleyes:
don't you worry... the price I got OTD was less than what they want on ebay with all of the extra fees

Today my dad bought a 2010 Honda Fury 1300 that he's picking up on Saturday. Now I know I need something that will keep up with him power wise :p

edit: the one thing I was worried about is that I'm 6'1 with semi long legs. the tank is a bit wider than what I'm used to, but I'm sure I'll be able to get used to it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mac2118 where do you live? The VN900C is a good bike, but like some others said it has its downsides. Dont plan on doing much 65mph plus ridding for long periods of time. The engine is lacking in power. But it is very comfortable and handles great even with a 80/90 front skinny. I bought a 2009 900 Custom in the Special Edition paint for 7200 Out the Door. I am looking to sell it because I should have bought a VN1600 Mean Streak, which is very similar to the 900, but has better power and can handle even better, with the same romminess for rider and passanger. Plus you can find an 08 Mean streak left overs for the MSRP of most 2010 900's. Just do your Homework. If you want a good deal on a Special Edition 900, just buy mine and I'll get the Mean Streak

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm from western PA. I love the burnt orange color; its what caught my eye in the first place. I was offered 6700 otd for it, but I bet I could haggle a little bit more since I bet they want to make room for the '11's I already have 3 possible buyers for my Shadow, so getting rid of that won't be a problem.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Basically same deal I got. The Special Edition was a $400 option. The Burnt Orange was my Fav also, until I saw the Special Edition. I think thats a great price for the bike. You do get more from a Vulc then any other bike in the same price range in my opinion. I have ridden a Suzuki M50, and Shadow 750. Both bikes are good, but the Suzuki feels really cheap to me. All the Levers and handles, foot pegs, etc feel cheap. The shadows feel almost like a bicycle to me, they are soo thin. The Vulc felt like the best quailty and felt like a real mans bike to me. Good luck with it, and I wouldnt hesitate to buy it. I just wish it had more nutz especially for 2 up ridding

·
Registered
106 Posts
'08 Candy Lime Green Custom here...

love it! had an '09 Classic before then after it got totaled and i received payment for it, i put it all down on this one and couldn't be happier. the "feel" of the Custom is nicer for cruising around but the Classic was great for touring.

the only specific gripe i have for this bike is pulling into parking lots with the skinny front tire... alot of the lots have raised curbs even on the apron and if you turn too tight into them, you'll smack the rim!?!?! gotta take the extra little effort to come as straight on as possible when entering. unfortunately, i didn't see the high lip pulling into a WaWa one time and heard & felt the rim hit... now i have a constant reminder to look out for them!!!

great bike... wouldn't trade for anything but i will be getting a larger cc bike and one made for touring for longer rides later! :)
I live In Bensalem right over the bridge, if you ever want to go crusing, drop me a PM.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm probably going to get some hell from some of the members.. but right now I ride a '96 Honda Shadow VT600C. It was my first bike I bought to learn how to ride and cheap enough that if I decided I didn't like riding I could sell it and not lose any money. Well... I can't stay off of it. Anytime the sun is shining I'm out on the road.

I'll keep this short. I decided to order new tires for my bike so I stopped by a Kawasaki dealership that friends have gone to and said nothing but good things about it. And there I saw it... a new 2009 Vulcan 900 Custom in burnt orange. I'm going to take it for a test drive on saturday, and what kills me is i just got my car paid off so I know I have the extra cash for the price I was given to pick up this bike and sell my shadow.

And the point of the thread: to everyone that has the 900 Custom... how do you like it? I've been reading reviews and watching movies all evening, but the best way to know is to ask the people that have one.
I absolutely love mine, great for cruising around town. I got the burnt orange one as well. Its much better once you get that stock exhaust off.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts