Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like some advice please: My "new = secondhand" Vulcan VN900 Classic, 2009, 13000km has a high pitched whistling/chirring noise in 2-5th gear which goes away when I close the throttle or engage the clutch - what can that be? Someone told me it is normal, just the noise a slipper clutch makes, nothing to worry about, but it is quite noisy and irritating and I'm worried it may be a signal of something bad in the making! Does the bike actually have a slipper clutch at all?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Much obliged....it affords me some comfort, knowing now that these gearboxes sound like that.

·
Registered
212 Posts
You've got straight cut gears in the case: noisy, strong and durable, efficient at transferring power. My other bike, Versys 1000, has em too. It's Kaw's way.

·
Registered
521 Posts
You've got straight cut gears in the case: noisy, strong and durable, efficient at transferring power. My other bike, Versys 1000, has em too. It's Kaw's way.
So that is what that is....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had replied previously but it seemingly went missing, thus I herewith say again, much obliged....it is comforting to know its not the gearbox or bearings that had packed up, but just a Kawa quirk!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I put a scootworks od pulley on front. Love it made a huge diff on lower rpms but now i'm hearing the dreaded whining they always talk about. Tried some belt lube, seems 2 help a bit. Learned 2 live with it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Normal for sure. All 3 of mine did it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks revrider & gmer140 - The replies I get certainly ease my worries...will take it to a Kawa tech in due course just to make sure....thanks for the replies

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Kawi Gearbox Whine

Well, I think I'm doing this posting thing right. I went for a long ride last night down the I-state averaging 75-80 MPH and man, coming home the Whine was kicking my butt. So pronounced that I had planned on going to the shop today to get them to ride her and check her out. She is still real new. 2,500 miles. Is it just the tranny way on the Kawi straight cut gears and nothing to worry about???????????????????????

Thanks fella's and LADIES for helping the old dog out here in Oklahoma. She was a noisy little birdy last night.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Hot Cruiser, Yeah Man, Jesus Is Lord, for sure. I wonder about the oil. I have been using Kawi Premium Synthetic since day one. Knowing nothing about mechanical issues I hope it has the correct viscosity for the gear box. I'm taking her in this AM anyway. She has a two year warranty and is brand new so, Praise God, no worries. What type of oil are you using?

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hey Hot Cruiser, Yeah Man, Jesus Is Lord, for sure. I wonder about the oil. I have been using Kawi Premium Synthetic since day one. Knowing nothing about mechanical issues I hope it has the correct viscosity for the gear box. I'm taking her in this AM anyway. She has a two year warranty and is brand new so, Praise God, no worries. What type of oil are you using?
Viscosity spec should be 10w-40

·
Registered
127 Posts
I run Shell Rotella T4 15w-40 which works well. The noise is super noticable since the windsheild and side bags were installed. It is veyr normal and all 3 of my vulcan 900s did this. My bobber is so loud I cant hear it. But with factory pipes, rest assured it has transmission noise. Oil samples come back great so Im not concerned.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
No such drivetrain noise on my '07 VN900. Am wondering whether which engine oil is used has something to do with it.
Dang,think ur the only one:laugh2:Luv my kawi:grin2:Run 10-40 valv full synth,backed belt off,less whine,tranny still noisy,,same beginning of oil life to the end,change every fall,put bout 3k a season

1 - 20 of 23 Posts