Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a '09 Vulcan 900 Classic LT w/ only 1500 miles on it. When i pull the clutch lever in to coast (or for that matter when underway) it makes a squealing noise, like a bearing needs to be greased. Cannot tell if it is coming from the primary or a wheel bearing. Have to be on it to hear it. Anyone have this prob?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
I purchased a '09 Vulcan 900 Classic LT w/ only 1500 miles on it. When i pull the clutch lever in to coast (or for that matter when underway) it makes a squealing noise, like a bearing needs to be greased. Cannot tell if it is coming from the primary or a wheel bearing. Have to be on it to hear it. Anyone have this prob?
Plenty to search from here, but it's usually belt noise. Does your bike have an aftermarket front pulley on it?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
No, Everything on it is OEM. You think I just need to do some belt tensioning?
More than likely. I'm not saying that there isn't something else that could be squeaking on your bike, but the vast majority of the squeaks on the 900 come from the belt and sprockets. You must maintain wheel alignment front to rear, which should insure that the front pulley shaft and the rear axle remain parallel to each other. The pulleys are not "crowned" on these bikes, so no attempt should be made to "center" the belt on the pulleys by skewing the rear wheel alignment marks. The proper tension on the belt will seem unreasonably tight, but it must be maintained for good belt and pulley life.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I Have this same EXACT problem and was wondering what it was as well. if it is belt noise should i be worried? i dont have a prob living with it as long as it wont harm anything.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Belt noise! Not a big problem, just one of the unique things about our bikes. I had mine fixed for awhile and then slamed a bad pot hole one day and found the squeal. When I do my next oil change I am going to play around with the tension again and try and quiet her down again.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Same issue, I ordered a tension gauge from Scootworks to make sure its not that

1 - 8 of 8 Posts