Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What tool are you guys using to change your spark plugs?

The Kawasaki 92110-1132 (TOOL-WRENCH,BOX,16MM) appears to only come with the 2007-2009 models.

Is this tool necessary or can I just use a normal 16mm spark plug socket with a 3/8" ratchet and extension?

·
Registered
15 Posts
You can, but it makes it more difficult to remove with the tank in place. You may have better luck with your ratchet and extension by removing the tank bolt and sliding the tank back and up.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I bought a magnetic socket from Harbor Freight to use on the spark plugs. I did remove the tank though. Next time, I was thinking about removing the 2 tank bolts near the seat, and raising the rear part of the tank for the rear plug, and sliding the tank back and raising the front part for the front plug. I'm hoping this will prevent disconnecting everything. I haven't tried this yet, but if it works, you can use standard rachet tools.

·
Registered
2019 VN900 Custom
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, so if I invest in this $20 tool, you are saying I can change the plugs without messing with the tank?

·
Registered
675 Posts
I changed the plugs with a standard 3/8 rachet and extension. The socket was a standard 16 MM magnetic spark plug socket (if I remember correctly). I DID remove the tank (1st time and I wanted to know how to remove it). The next time, I think I may not HAVE to remove the tank to use the same tools, but I have yet to test this method (as described above) on the spark plugs. I discovered while changing the coolant, that you can move the tank around quite a bit WITHOUT disconnecting or removing it. I changed the coolant without removing the gas tank, just by sliding it backwards and propping it up with a 2x4 block. I filled the cooling system and put on the radiator cap using this method. I had to move one hose on the tank under, instead of over another hose, to get more freedom of movement.

To add, I did NOT change the connections of the hose I moved, only the routing of that hose.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts