Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have an 08 Vulcan 900 Custom. I recently installed Cobra speedster shorts, Barons BAK, and Cobra FI2000. After the first test ride everything was fine except I was getting the (expected) popping on deceleration. To try and eliminate the popping I marbled the hose that comes off the back of the air box that feeds the air switching valve... still getting pops on decel. I then checked for exhaust leaks using smoke from a cigarette.. there doesnt appear to be any leaks at all.

I have seen the reed valve block off plates that are available for other vulcans. Since these kits are not made for the 900, couldnt I essentially do the same thing by putting another marble in each of the hoses that go from the air switch valve to the reed valve? (so I would then have a marble in each hose of the whole assembly).

Any help would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have the answer for you, I have a question. I'm running a Cobra HP Power Pro 2 into 1, the BAK and fi2000r. I'm just curious about how you have your fi2000 set since our setups are similar. Thanks...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have the answer for you, I have a question. I'm running a Cobra HP Power Pro 2 into 1, the BAK and fi2000r. I'm just curious about how you have your fi2000 set since our setups are similar. Thanks...
Right now I have my fi2000 settings at 4-2-0 which is the default. I don't want to tweak them too much until I figure out the cause of the exhaust popping.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I also have mine at 4-2-0. I just put it on this morning. I'm getting the backfire/popping on decel as well. I may have to try the one adjustment at a time method and see what happens.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also have mine at 4-2-0. I just put it on this morning. I'm getting the backfire/popping on decel as well. I may have to try the one adjustment at a time method and see what happens.
Yeah I actually did the "one adjustment at a time" method with no success in eliminating the popping. That is why I am pretty convinced that it has to be something else. Have you "marbled" yours yet? That did seem to help reduce the popping for me, but didnt completely get rid of it. Also you may want to check for exhaust leaks as I know this can also cause some popping on decel.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I haven't been able to eliminate the pop in 2 years. Decel slowly and most of the time you can stop the pop with some practice. It didn't matter what setting I used on the Fi2000.

·
Registered
941 Posts
As long as it is little pops what is the problem?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I haven't been able to eliminate the pop in 2 years. Decel slowly and most of the time you can stop the pop with some practice. It didn't matter what setting I used on the Fi2000.
Baitis,

Have you found any settings on the fi2000 that work better than others? I'm also curious to know if you feel like you got some gain out of the fi2000. For instance better MPG or if the bike feels stronger to you at different settings.

Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
I've tried a lot of settings over the last 2 years. Mine is debaffled with 60ppi Unifoam air filter in place of the paper filter with relocated air inlet. I'm currently running 2-2-0. Performance wise the fuel setting is not as big an issue as the wimpy cam in the 900's. On mine the best way to minimize popping is to decel slowly. Sometimes it doesn't matter but I haven't been able find a pattern yet.

40 PPI Unifoam

Relocated air Inlet

·
Registered
308 Posts
I've tried a lot of settings over the last 2 years. Mine is debaffled with 60ppi Unifoam air filter in place of the paper filter with relocated air inlet. I'm currently running 2-2-0. Performance wise the fuel setting is not as big an issue as the wimpy cam in the 900's. On mine the best way to minimize popping is to decel slowly. Sometimes it doesn't matter but I haven't been able find a pattern yet.

40 PPI Unifoam

Relocated air Inlet

that's a clever move.. get fresh air, and maybe a bit more air pressure? ;]

·
Registered
179 Posts
I spoke with 2 Kawi mechanics today about popping because my bike is about to come out of warranty. They told me it is normal for most V twins though some are worse than others. It's due to unburned gas in the exhaust on decel which ignites thus the popping.They said it will not hurt the bike. Sometimes higher octane gas helps.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Hi guys, my first post here as I hope to add an SE to my stable. I have a VTX 1800 that I bought with Cobras slashcuts on it. The decel popping drove me crazy. I discovered the bike also had a PCIII USB installed so called Dyno Jet for advise. The tech suggested richening the zero throttle position from the normal setting of "0" to "30" starting at 1500 RPM up to redline. The decel popping was gone completely. I've since lowered those numbers to the point where the popping is returning and am completely happy. I know from reading other posts on the VTXOA forum that have the Cobra 2000 that they had to richen the lower third quite a bit to eliminate most of the popping but the gas mileage suffered a little too. Hope this helps and looking forward to having my Custom SE soon.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Hi guys, my first post here as I hope to add an SE to my stable. I have a VTX 1800 that I bought with Cobras slashcuts on it. The decel popping drove me crazy. I discovered the bike also had a PCIII USB installed so called Dyno Jet for advise. The tech suggested richening the zero throttle position from the normal setting of "0" to "30" starting at 1500 RPM up to redline. The decel popping was gone completely. I've since lowered those numbers to the point where the popping is returning and am completely happy. I know from reading other posts on the VTXOA forum that have the Cobra 2000 that they had to richen the lower third quite a bit to eliminate most of the popping but the gas mileage suffered a little too. Hope this helps and looking forward to having my Custom SE soon.
What did you finally wind up with on the PC, I have a PCV and am look to reduce the pop, home town police do not like it. Now that i sit back and think about it, that makes perfect sense i have been adjusting the percentage at lowest rpm not throttle position 0, DOOOOH :eek:

Thanks for the wake up.

And welcome, glad you have you.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
What did you finally wind up with on the PC, I have a PCV and am look to reduce the pop, home town police do not like it. Now that i sit back and think about it, that makes perfect sense i have been adjusting the percentage at lowest rpm not throttle position 0, DOOOOH :eek:

Thanks for the wake up.

And welcome, glad you have you.
Thanks for the welcome. Each bike is going to be different but I was eventually able to bring my numbers down to "10". It really depends on how the bike is ridden. If the rider hammers the bike all the time or rides at high speeds, the exhaust port & pipe will run hotter. By adding fuel, the unburned fuel/air mixture at zero throttle is richer and has a lower flash point. If the engine temperature is chasing the lower flash point due to hard riding then the numbers would have to be higher. I'm a moderate rider most of the time so I don't get much popping and what I do have is not annoying. One way to prove that this works is after entering the new settings and taking it for a ride, get up to highway speed and back off to zero throttle and note the popping intensity. Now bring the bike up to the same highway speed and back off again but hold the throttle cocked just a little bit. Just a couple of degrees. The popping you had before will return.

·
Registered
424 Posts
sojourner:
Thanks, like you I spend most of my time 90% anyway at a quiet pace, in town going to work, lots of cops, and old rednecks (my town anyway), who would rather lock you up than hear one pop. I will set at 10 and work from there, also noticed as I went ahead and pulled up my map to do the tweak that 2 percent on the throttle and 5 percent were set to 0 for most of the map reset them to 8 and 6 respectively and then set all cells at the top end of throttle to percentages that looked approiate for the previous position on that throttle column, I am going to load this map and go for a ride. I will let you know how it works out. My commander is the NEW PC5 and I have a usb cable which stays attached and is stored under the seat, pop of the seat and dead easy to adjust, can also use the computer to set idle rpm, quite nice I like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts