Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want a low rumble from my 900 vs just plain loud. It's hard to find a description of the sound that you get from aftermarket pipes. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
950 Posts
USAF Retired,

In my opinion (which isn't worth much) low rumble will come from a stage 3 debaffle. Just plain loud comes from Cobra, Vance & Hines, etc... I used to run Cobra pipes. They were just too loud, even with a quiet baffle, and were definately higher in pitch than debaffled stock.:eek: As a result, I sold my pipes and put the stockers back on.

Roadhouse 2-1 used to have a good sound, but I think they are out of business. Perhaps you might find a used set. Good luck with your research. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for your service.:soldier:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only opinion not worth anything is the one that isn't given. That being said, can you purchase a stage 3 debaffle aftermarket> How much of a pain is it to change out the baffles?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My .02
Cobra dragsters are the loudest darn thing I've ever heard other than a straight pipe.
+ 1 on the quiet baffles. They don't help much.
I have Vance&Hines Pro Pipe 2 into 1 with a quiet baffle and it's a nice low rumble.
I do have the opinion that the air kit does effect the sound. I have compared a my set up to someone else's and here's what I found. My Arlen Ness big sucker sounds lower and smoother than a Baron Big Air Kit. I feel, (based on my experience) that the Big sucker let's more air through due to it's wider filter and makesthe sound lower.
I don't know what other's have seen.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
I've got Cobra Dragsters 2 into 2 pipes, they were loud then installed Cobra Quiet Baffles, lowed decibels by 6db, without then pipes are 106db, with Quiet baffles about 100db, but 100db is still loud and the Quiet baffles messed up my carb jetting causing backfiring on bike shutoff due to increased backpressure, I fixed the jetting but still get the odd backfire thru exhaust at shutoff. I used to have V&H Longshots, they were obnoxious loud, before that stock pipes, can't find anything in between quiet stock and loud, I don't think it exists.

·
Registered
950 Posts
That being said, can you purchase a stage 3 debaffle aftermarket> How much of a pain is it to change out the baffles?
You might be able to get a set of debaffled stock pipes from the "For Sale" section of the forum. Usually for around $100-$125 plus shipping. You can also post in the "Wanted Section" and see if a set pops up on the cheap.

Once the baffles are gone, they do not go back in.:eek:

It took me a couple hours to remove mine. The hardest part is breaking the welds. Some of them are stubborn. You Tube has plenty of videos on the subject. You can also use the "Search" tool and look for pics from other forum members.

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
have you ever heard of someone who cut out their stock baffles and was pleased with the sound? because all the posts that i've seen no one was pleased with the sound and ended up trashing their stock pipes and buying new aftermarket pipes

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
i've gone to Youtube and listened to stock pipes after the baffles were cut out and they sounded horrible, you better check out Youtube vids first for the resulting sound of a debaffle job before ruining your stockers

·
Registered
950 Posts
have you ever heard of someone who cut out their stock baffles and was pleased with the sound? because all the posts that i've seen no one was pleased with the sound and ended up trashing their stock pipes and buying new aftermarket pipes
Yes, I like my pipes. It seems that if NOBODY liked the sound then NOBODY would debaffle, which we both know is nonsense. Lets just say our tastes differ and keep it polite.

Stage 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu04EKE2bLA&feature=related

Stage 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CseNXTK9Z0

·
BOTM Winner, March 2013
348 Posts
i've gone to Youtube and listened to stock pipes after the baffles were cut out and they sounded horrible, you better check out Youtube vids first for the resulting sound of a debaffle job before ruining your stockers
Didn't take too long for debaffle haters to show up. I found bunch of people who enjoys theirs pipes with stage 3 debaffle. Stop trolling!!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
i know people who debaffle their exhausts, and most of the times they sound better then the aftermarket exhausts. they have a deep tone and arent super loud.

i am in the market for an exhaust too. i will be keepin my stock exhaust stock since i dont want to debaffle (simply because i want aftermarket) i want a 2 to 1 pipe but cant find a good one for a good price.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just read up on the debaffling (is that a word?) of the stock pipes. Seems like it is exactly what I'm looking for. Pulled up a few videos on YouTube and love the sound. I just need to get the guts up to start cutting.

·
BOTM Winner, October/2012
291 Posts
if you're just wanting a nice rumble, then you'll love the sound of debaffled pipes. Me, I wanted some loud obnoxious pipes...lol

·
Registered
151 Posts
Youtube is NOT a real tool to hear the REAL SOUND of debafled stock exhaust....even with HIFI sound system and HD :cool:

I´m thinking about Stage 3 debafle

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You asked this same question in another thread and got a whole list of people who did. Yes, lots of people like the sound of debaffled pipes, they sound great! I think partial debaffles don't sound so hot, but that's okay to each their own. Once you get the baffle all the way out, it gets much lower and sounds great!

I actually am having trouble finding a post about someone who DIDN'T like the sound. I do recall one person who thought it was too loud, but, most that I read DO like it. I'm really not understanding this "Absolutely nobody likes Debaffled pipes' bit.

There's a video I shot of mine a while back for a member who wanted to know what it sounded like at 1,000 rpm's. That's 'pretty close', set it with a tach. I don't think it sounds too bad. Sounds like a quiet aftermarket pipe.

There's a drive-by example.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
hey, you like to hear it again? ok
debaffled pipes sound HORRIBLE
how's that
That's fine if you think that. Some people think that aftermarket exhaust on a sportbike sounds good and I think it's awful!

My point is, you're in the minority. The vast, vast majority of 900 owners think that the debaffled 900 sounds great. Making claims like "nobody likes the sound" or "All I read is everyone hates it" aren't exactly true!

You're entitled to your opinion, but so are those who like the debaffled sound. There is no need to berate every single thread about debaffled 900 pipes with this stuff about 'every single person hating' them.

-John

1 - 20 of 46 Posts