Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I am downsizing to a lighter bike for medical reasons. Does anyone know the approx. horsepower figures for this bike? Kawasaki will not release them. Thanks in advance and ride safe.

·
Registered
357 Posts
looks to be ~ 50HP, 58Tq

give or take

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the most consistent "real life dyno" numbers that I have seen is around 43 hp at the rear wheel(stock). With the big 3 done , I have seen as high as 60.5 hp at the rear wheel. These are from actual dyno sheets, not some magazine illustration. The 50 hp number , I believe, is at the crank and comes from Kawasaki pressers.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I've seen 50 posted quite a bit on stock HP (presuming crank, so 43 at the wheels would be about right). Kawi's V900 page says "Maximum Torque 58.2 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 rpm", but doesn't give HP numbers.

What is 'the big 3'? :confused:
the big 3 = new intake, exhaust, and fuel controller

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THx

I am also considering a Vstrom 650. It makes about 66 horses and weighs under 500 lbs while the Vulcan make about 50 and is over six hundred lbs. Thanx for the input.

·
Registered
238 Posts
That's like comparing apples to oranges. The Vulcan is definitely a cruiser bike where the Vstorm is a more sporty "adventure" bike as Suzuki classifies it. It basically comes down to whatever style you like best.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know that they are different bikes, I've been considering an "adventure" type bike while I am still young enough to do it..:).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I traded a DL1000 for the Vulcan 900 I'm riding now.
The air stream coming over the Vstrom's windshield will buffet your head till your vision blurs. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I happen to own a Vstrom 650 for a few years now, and just traded my Honda Shadow for the Vulcan 900.

LOVE both bikes, but they are COMPLETELY different beasts.
The Vstrom is a work horse, loves twisties, runs very strong for a 650, yes it will outrun the Vulcan,, and many other bikes.
Once you outfit it with cases, nice seat, highway pegs, etc. There is no trip it cant handle.
Yes, the wind buffeting on the helmet is horrid, I raised the stock wind screen some and it helped, but its still there.

The Vulcan is a great cruiser, but dont let that fool you, you can still have plenty of fun with it in the turns.
Its not a rocket ship, but it has plenty of power to have fun, and do long trips through the mountains.

Comes down to personal preference really, I had to have both, the Vulcan is my daily ride to work, and for just about anything but long multiple day trips.
But once I have hard saddlebags on the Vulcan, that could change.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I am also considering a Vstrom 650. It makes about 66 horses and weighs under 500 lbs while the Vulcan make about 50 and is over six hundred lbs. Thanx for the input.
Well, this could have been written by me right now, as I've been thinking of selling the Vulcan and getting a V-strom! (and yes, I'm INCREDIBLY jealous of you folks who can afford to have more than one bike at a time...)

I bought the Vulcan a couple years ago after considering a variety of other bikes, including the V-strom 650. I've had a Honda CX 650, Yam FJ1100, and right before the Vulcan, an EX 500 that I had for 10 years and used for commuting, touring and track days (sold with 35,000 miles on it). I've accessorized the Vulcan to the point that it feels as comfortable as a lounge chair for me, and LOVE the torque, but pushing it around the garage it just feels so heavy sometimes... (and yes, I know heavy is relative, as we've had Goldwings in the family, but I'd never own one of them for weight reasons...)

CPOGeorge, I can tell you that I miss the light weight and agile handling of a smaller bike, HOWEVER, I test rode a few cruisers and the Vulcan *Custom* is pretty fun and has decent ground clearance to keep things interesting (I rode a Honda VTX 1300 and a Sportster and can't imagine why anyone would intentionally buy a bike with so little ground clearance that parts drag making normal low speed turns on city streets...)

One thing I feel needs to be mentioned -- My dad bought a 900 Classic LT at the same time as I bought the 900 Custom and when you ride them back-to-back as I did, you'll find that they provide two distinctly different "feels" in their steering and overall handling. The skinny 21" front rim on the Custom, combined with the different handlebars make the Custom lighter and easier to turn -- ride both if you can before you decide... My dad ended up selling the 900 LT because it just wasn't any "fun" (he loves lightweight, sport-touring bikes better...)

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Vstrom will not feel light at all when you are pushing it around in your garage.
It can feel a bit top heavy when you arent moving/riding.
Once you are moving its not bad at all and has very light steering.

As far as cruisers, I think the Vulcan Classic handles quite nice and is fun in the turns compared to some others I have rode.
But, the handlebars do bug me, they come way too far back when you turn tight, especially parking lots.
I think I will add some taller risers soon.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Steve;
Funny you mentioned the Fj1100, I have owned 1 Fj1100 and 2 fj1200's. Some of the best bikes I have ever had..:).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts