Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently upgraded to a Vulcan 900. Whenever I press the ignition the engine turns over and over but it takes a while before actually starting.. it's like it wants to start but just can't quite get there. This is my first ever fuel injected bike so I feel like a bit of an idiot .. also the battery is hooked up to a tender and is fully charged

I appreciate any thoughts you guys might have

·
Registered
761 Posts
Are you giving the fuel pump time to prime after turning the key on before pressing the start button?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Everytime or just cold starts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Everytime or just cold starts?
Colder is worse for sure, but even warm it doesn't seem as eager to start as other fuel injected vulcans I have seen

It almost reminds me of my last bike where I had a bad battery cell and it just didn't seem to ever want to start but would keep turning over.. the difference being the turnover on that bike was slow and sluggish tipping me off to the battery, but the turnover for this one is nice and quick

·
Registered
761 Posts
Was the bike purchased used and may have old gas in the tank?You may also get better replies posting in the 900 specific section of this forum.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Was the bike purchased used and may have old gas in the tank?You may also get better replies posting in the 900 specific section of this forum.
Very possible, it was not used much by the previous owner (2008 with 4700km's) .. I'll try getting new gas in it

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
Normally bike should start on fast idle and then as engine warms, idle slows down.
Is this what it does?
Do you start hands off the throttle?

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Definitely follow Sfair's diagnostic tips; but I can confirm that even with properly stored (seafoam/sta-bil) fuel that is a couple of months old, my 900 cranks noticeably longer than with fresh fuel.

Definitely pay attention to whether the bike fires right up to a low idle, or fires up to a fast idle like Sfair said. I'll add, many 900 owners like to bottom out their idle. If that's you, consider bumping it up to the appropriate 950-1050 RPM's. Though if the fast idle is working correctly, that shouldn't really matter for startup.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Mine always takes a couple of go's before it starts when cold. When hot it starts first crank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Definitely follow Sfair's diagnostic tips; but I can confirm that even with properly stored (seafoam/sta-bil) fuel that is a couple of months old, my 900 cranks noticeably longer than with fresh fuel.

Definitely pay attention to whether the bike fires right up to a low idle, or fires up to a fast idle like Sfair said. I'll add, many 900 owners like to bottom out their idle. If that's you, consider bumping it up to the appropriate 950-1050 RPM's. Though if the fast idle is working correctly, that shouldn't really matter for startup.
Okay, I'll get some fresh gas in there asap and see if I notice a difference. It does fire up fast idle and then settles down. I never adjusted the idle speed when I got it and i'm fairly certain the lady I bought it from didn't tinker with it either

·
Registered
2018 Vulcan 900 custom big 3 with pcv
14 Posts
So I recently upgraded to a Vulcan 900. Whenever I press the ignition the engine turns over and over but it takes a while before actually starting.. it's like it wants to start but just can't quite get there. This is my first ever fuel injected bike so I feel like a bit of an idiot .. also the battery is hooked up to a tender and is fully charged

I appreciate any thoughts you guys might have
My 2018 vulcan 900 started to do that a little bit after i did dyno with a custom map on pcv. It never had issues starting without pcv or with pcv preloaded map. It began with custom map off dyno shop. But it always starts up when riding for first time of the day and after ride it wants to initiate to start but it cant, so you have to just on and off ignition key for few minutes till it randomly starts. Once it starts it runs like a butter till the tank is empty. Its just that weird startup after long ride that kinda annoying. Even replaced battery to brand new gel battery. So my first bet is the custom dyno map needs to be tweaked out or somethings going on with the ignition or starter, but i doubt since bike have only 3k miles on it. So will retweak the map and see how it goes other then that it runs perfect as a stage 1.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts