Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was hoping folks could post pics of their 900 Customs with windshields in this thread. I'm looking to buy one for my bike. I've never really liked the way they looked but can't deny their effectiveness. I'm considering a cafe windshield from kawasaki but would love to find something similar that was quick release. Anyways, just wanna see what all the different options look like on our bikes. Thanks.

By the way, I'm 6'2", so I'm a lil afraid the Cafe shield might not be enough to make a big difference. Any experiences?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't have any shots focusing on the windshield, per se, but here's one that shows it fairly well. Not sure which this model/style this is, but if it's not the small cafe windshield, it's probably comparable. I'm 6'1", and all it truly does is take some of the wind pressure off your chest, and keep some of the bugs off your jacket. I've toyed with the idea of just taking it off, since, like you, I don't really like the look -- but it's hard to argue that it does serve a purpose. I've also thought of going bigger and cutting down on the wind more...but I doubt I'll ever go that route. Maybe if it was a Classic...but a large windshield on the Custom just doesn't look right to me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, I have a '09 Custom with the cafe windshield. I bought it solely for looks and expected nothing more. Good thing! I would rate the windshield virtually worthless in the function category. I'm 6'1'' and I have the shield mounted as high as possible. It shoots the wind right over the top and directly into my face. It does take a little pressure off the chest but not significant. You MUST wear a full face helmet, in my opinion, or risk getting blinded by a errant bug ( unless you are a glutton for punishment or just plain tough).

Now having said all of that, the Custom does not lend itself to a high windshield. I think the large shields break the elegant lines of the bike. But, The cafe shield looks great on my bike and I get a lot of compliments. However, if you are looking for function, forget it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
national cycle flyscreen. sorry for the crappy cell pic...

·
Registered
260 Posts
2009 custom se...flyscreen...work in progress
Not to derail this thread, but I have a set of those mirrors that you have on your bike. Apparently I will need some adapters in order to install them. Can you tell me which adapters you have and where you got them? Oh, and did you have to move anything to put them on? Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a 2007 custom and I totally agree that the bike looks best without a shield. That said, I wouldn't even think of not having one on my bike. I have a Memphis shades Fats that is 19" with the quick release brackets. I live in Northern Michigan and in the Spring and Summer the bugs are brutal. I don't wash the bike every time I ride but I do take the shield off and wash it because it is covered. Additionally, when it is colder, the shield helps keep the wind at bay. I have even made some lowers to help even more. In the end, you have to decide whether looks or function is the most important but I think you will find that a small shield really doesn't do either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Not to derail this thread, but I have a set of those mirrors that you have on your bike. Apparently I will need some adapters in order to install them. Can you tell me which adapters you have and where you got them? Oh, and did you have to move anything to put them on? Thanks.
you can find the adapters at pretty much any bike shop or catalog. i could never get mine to stay tight tho. they vibrated alot. i 'adapted' mine to the factory mirror stem. much more solid.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had the OEM tall shield. USELESS, and I am 5'11". I went with the Memphis Shades Big Shot. Fully adjustable, quick remove, well built.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
I can tell you guys that if Liluec is selling something,its a good deal. I bought a wheel from him a year ago that has worked out just great on my bike....( thanks Lilduec)! So as a recommendation, if you can come together on a price, it's a good deal. Lilduec, after all the work you put into the bike, I can't believe you are selling....Did you ever pick up that pulley from the Dealer over in O Fallon after I dropped it off?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yeah sorry I never got back to you. I picked it up and its sitting in the basement actually! I did sell the bike yesterday but we're lookin to move closer to work and better schools for the kid. Sucks, but I've been thinking about selling it for a while to buy something more comfortable for highway use and for the wifey too. But...............no worries because I just bought an 06 Vulcan 900 Classic today!!!!! Woo hoo! More to come on it because I already have plans on things I'm doing to it. You know I can't leave stuff alone!! Ha ha. Thanks for the compliments on everything too I appreciate it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts