Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently decided to build a bike for myself. I bought a Vulcan 900 custom frame and a used motor in very good condition. I like choppers and bobbers and want to my bike with as little s*** on it as possible. While reading the manual I find out about all these sensors and all kinds of other s*** do I need all this stuff or will the motor run without high pressure sensor and oxygen sensor and all this other b***.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
Should be interesting. Keep the forum posted with your progress. We all like to follow custom builds. Depending if you are staying with fuel injection or going to a carburetor will determine the numbers is sensors you will have to maintain. A carb will be the best minimalist approach and easier to build. Going to be a fun project for you. Have fun and keep in touch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which carb would you recommend? And would you buy a wire harness or wire it yourself with an m unit. I like the way the frame looks with the motor what other parts are absolutely ? necessary to start and ride the bike

·
Registered
103 Posts
Interesting notion, good luck.
This an electronic EFI engine. To run it as it is you'll basically need all the electrics it currently has.
To begin to simplify first understand that it has no kicker so you're saddled with a battery, charging system and all the components necessary to change the battery, rectifier, regulator, starter solenoid etc.....
When you consider that the ECM and fuel management stuff isn't that much more.
You could switch to carburation, means fabrication of manifold, selection of carburetor, throttle, cable, air filter unit etc. That's probably the easiest part of the deal once you figure out what size unit to use.
There's no points for ignition, but the if you can figure how to utilize the stator/rotor unit it has to trigger spark it may run but you will lose the advance capability built into the ECM to adjust spark for RPM.
Personally you would be best served to come up with clever ways to hide the stock stuff and go with it.
The Custom is kind of a semi-bobber as is and can be further modded to make it more basic looking.
I don't want to discourage you but if you watch all the new car build programs they're taking modern GM LS motors or Ford Coyote motors and shoehorning them into old cars and the first thing they do is keep the electronics to make them run rather than go in reverse.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Good luck on your project, i do not think anyone has converted a 900 to run on a carburetor before. If your desire is to run a bike without electronics you would be better served to start with a carbonated engine. At the end of the day you will likely spend a lot of time and money to take a reliable power-train and turn it into a poor running and unreliable engine. I do not believe a single person has taken on a build like you are planing, very few have gone past standard bolt on accessories. You will not find much help on your intended modifications from the normal Vulcan forums.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
After reading the last two posts, I would say if you have all the components for the fuel injection, go with it. Also would make the wiring easier. If you don’t have all the fuel injection components and want to stick with the minimum approach, consider what spencea15 suggested about getting a carbureted engine. Perhaps this would have been easier to buy a complete bike and adjust it accordingly instead of buying everything piece by piece.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting notion, good luck.
This an electronic EFI engine. To run it as it is you'll basically need all the electrics it currently has.
To begin to simplify first understand that it has no kicker so you're saddled with a battery, charging system and all the components necessary to change the battery, rectifier, regulator, starter solenoid etc.....
When you consider that the ECM and fuel management stuff isn't that much more.
You could switch to carburation, means fabrication of manifold, selection of carburetor, throttle, cable, air filter unit etc. That's probably the easiest part of the deal once you figure out what size unit to use.
There's no points for ignition, but the if you can figure how to utilize the stator/rotor unit it has to trigger spark it may run but you will lose the advance capability built into the ECM to adjust spark for RPM.
Personally you would be best served to come up with clever ways to hide the stock stuff and go with it.
The Custom is kind of a semi-bobber as is and can be further modded to make it more basic looking.
I don't want to discourage you but if you watch all the new car build programs they're taking modern GM LS motors or Ford Coyote motors and shoehorning them into old cars and the first thing they do is keep the electronics to make them run rather than go in reverse.
Thanks for all your time and help very nice of you to offer advice . I have a very basic understanding of motorcycles . I'm better at picking the parts that look good . I love bikes and wish I knew more about the mechanical side of them but I'm learning ... Thanks again for taking the time I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I actually ended up chopping the rear frame and making a bobber. New seat, small bullet turn signals, Cobra pipes wrapped, changed out the bars to 13" ape hangers, new braided cables, and had the tank and side covers painted. Pix attached.
Check out this post with pics in the Classified used parts section. The guy made a bobber from a 900 Classic, basically the same frame and engine you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts