Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gents, just pulled the 06 900 Vulcan out a little while ago and replaced the battery with a new one then decided to take her for a spin, first stop was the gas station since I parked her nearly empty last year so I put 2 gallons in it and rode out about 5 miles when it started to bog down and sputter and backfire, the fuel injection light was also lit, so I'm trying to limp her home running terribly and an intersection a tenth a mile from my driveway she quit and would not start back, so I pushed it the rest of the way home and let it sit a few minutes then tried to start again and it will as long as I turn the throttle a few times before I try but it only idles for a few seconds before it dies again.. Could this be a bad gas problem??? I have a big ride planned for the weekend and I'm praying to get her lined out, any help is appreciated guys

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
If it was parked for a year empty that means you had old gas sitting in everything for a year. Buy a bottle of sea foam and dump it in that tank and run it for a full tank. Then fill it up and dump another can of sea foam in there. Is all the other Maintenace up to par?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well now that its home I can't get it to start and idle more than a few seconds, would you still recommend the sea foam or go on to tank draining and fuel lines etc? The bike needs an oil change as well, that was the very next thing I had planned to do this weekend but as far as everything else yes maintenance is up to par.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried seafoam, drained tank and lines, checked virtually everything electric and THEN changed plugs and bingo!!!! She runs like a top.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I've tried seafoam, drained tank and lines, checked virtually everything electric and THEN changed plugs and bingo!!!! She runs like a top.
good deal, the easy fix's are the best!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Take a look inside the fuel tank. There's a reason bikes are stored properly. Which means a full tank of stabilized fuel. It's possible the tank developed rust which could now be floating around in the fuel. At the very least, there's some bad gas in there.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Alright gents, just pulled the 06 900 Vulcan out a little while ago and replaced the battery with a new one then decided to take her for a spin, first stop was the gas station since I parked her nearly empty last year so I put 2 gallons in it and rode out about 5 miles when it started to bog down and sputter and backfire, the fuel injection light was also lit, so I'm trying to limp her home running terribly and an intersection a tenth a mile from my driveway she quit and would not start back, so I pushed it the rest of the way home and let it sit a few minutes then tried to start again and it will as long as I turn the throttle a few times before I try but it only idles for a few seconds before it dies again.. Could this be a bad gas problem??? I have a big ride planned for the weekend and I'm praying to get her lined out, any help is appreciated guys
The (FI) light is a "Fault Indicator" light, not fuel injection. It will come on in the event of low oil pressure among other things as well obviously, that is just one example.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
The (FI) light is a "Fault Indicator" light, not fuel injection. It will come on in the event of low oil pressure among other things as well obviously, that is just one example.
Dang, I learned something.. awesome Thanks.

Reactions: JMON the Road

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If there's low oil pressure, the low oil pressure light will come on.

From page 29 of the Vulcan 900 Owners Manual:

FI: The fuel injection (FI) warning in- dicator light goes on when the ignition key is turned to “ON” and goes off soon after ensuring that its circuit functions properly. The warning indicator light also goes on whenever the troubles oc- cur in digital fuel injection system (DFI). If the warning indicator light comes on, have the DFI system checked by an au- thorized Kawasaki dealer.
The "FI" light most certainly is for the digital fuel injection system. It will come on when the key is on, but if it's on when the bike is running or stays on with the key on, there's a fault with the fuel injection system.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
If there's low oil pressure, the low oil pressure light will come on.

From page 29 of the Vulcan 900 Owners Manual:

The "FI" light most certainly is for the digital fuel injection system. It will come on when the key is on, but if it's on when the bike is running or stays on with the key on, there's a fault with the fuel injection system.
I will agree and disagree. It's tied to both systems. This is copied out of my service manual as well on my 2008 model.

FI Indicator LED Light
LED Light Inspection
○The FI indicator LED light [A] goes ON when the ignition
switch is turned ON and the LED light goes OFF when the
engine oil pressure is high enough (the engine is running).
This is to ensure that the FI indicator LED light has not
burned out and the DFI system and the ignition system
function properly. •Refer to the Meter, Gauge section in the Electrical System
chapter for LED Light Inspection.

Try turning your idle down lower and see what happens. The FI light will come on when the oil pressure drops too low. System is telling you that you will eventually harm the engine because not enough oil is being circulated. Simply to low of an idle setting, creating low oil pressure. Although starving it of fuel also indicates a fuel system problem. So they are indeed related.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I will agree and disagree. It's tied to both systems. This is copied out of my service manual as well on my 2008 model.

FI Indicator LED Light
LED Light Inspection
○The FI indicator LED light [A] goes ON when the ignition
switch is turned ON and the LED light goes OFF when the
engine oil pressure is high enough (the engine is running).
This is to ensure that the FI indicator LED light has not
burned out and the DFI system and the ignition system
function properly. •Refer to the Meter, Gauge section in the Electrical System
chapter for LED Light Inspection.

Try turning your idle down lower and see what happens. The FI light will come on when the oil pressure drops too low. System is telling you that you will eventually harm the engine because not enough oil is being circulated. Simply to low of an idle setting, creating low oil pressure. Although starving it of fuel also indicates a fuel system problem. So they are indeed related.
Your statement was that it was not called a "Fuel Injection" light it was called a "Fault Indicator" light. The owners and service manuals call it a "Fuel Injection [FI] Light". Also there may be some year to year variation because on my 900, and what the owners manual says, is that the light would come on and then immediately go off, just like your car with the lights coming on when the key comes on. Low oil pressure light would be on until the engine was running, but the FI light would not be.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
Your statement was that it was not called a "Fuel Injection" light it was called a "Fault Indicator" light. The owners and service manuals call it a "Fuel Injection [FI] Light". Also there may be some year to year variation because on my 900, and what the owners manual says, is that the light would come on and then immediately go off, just like your car with the lights coming on when the key comes on. Low oil pressure light would be on until the engine was running, but the FI light would not be.
I'm sorry but I still don't agree. No where in my service manual (have not checked owners manual) does it specifically say "Fuel Injection" light. Only FI light indicator. It is in the DFI section, but specifically refers to the oil pressure with engine running is the only thing that will turn the light off. I wont debate this any further. I am not trying to prove you wrong or anything like that either. I have had a personal dilemma with that light since I bought my 900. The PO had the idle so low the light was on. He wanted that Harley sound. But a tiny blip of the throttle would shut it off. And it was always off when cruising. Oil pressure is the only thing that explains this, as also outlined in my previous post from the service manual. I wont debate this any further, and clearly state that this is my "opinion" only. Others can draw their own conclusions.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
It also doesn't specifically say "fault indicator", so that is my bad as well. I would say it is unclear in both aspects.

·
Living The Dream
1,515 Posts
I officially recant all my previous posts. Here is a snapshot from the Owners Manual which is the only place I have seen that specifically says "Fuel Injection Warning Light".

Romans I apologize for being so debatable. Nothing personal of course. I shall not doubt your words again. Peace!

Attachments

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
I officially recant all my previous posts. Here is a snapshot from the Owners Manual which is the only place I have seen that specifically says "Fuel Injection Warning Light".

Romans I apologize for being so debatable. Nothing personal of course. I shall not doubt your words again. Peace!
Anddddddddddddd, Don't let it happen again!!! :D

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Haha, it's all good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts