Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long day of riding and some sand caused my bike to get flooded with gas. With some research it lead me think it was the carb so I bought and put a rebuild kit. Changed the air and oil filter and new oil as well. The bike only starts while giving it throttle before u start it. Then when u get it running u haft to rev it to keep it on. I think the carb isn’t getting gas but I don’t know this is my first bike I’ve had, would love some help. PS not a mechanic but def have a good knowledge on the engine.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Hi Ale,
  • Did you have the starting issue BEFORE you installed the rebuild kit
  • Are you using the choke to start it?
  • Is the idle turned in enough to keep it idling?
  • If the carb wasn't getting fuel, you wouldn't be able to rev it to keep it running.
  • You may have not installed a vacuum line either to the back of the fuel tap or onto the carb.
  • Also make sure the clamps on the carb holder/intake boot are tight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Ale,
  • Did you have the starting issue BEFORE you installed the rebuild kit
  • Are you using the choke to start it?
  • Is the idle turned in enough to keep it idling?
  • If the carb wasn't getting fuel, you wouldn't be able to rev it to keep it running.
  • You may have not installed a vacuum line either to the back of the fuel tap or onto the carb.
  • Also make sure the clamps on the carb holder/intake boot are tight.
Before the bike was flooded and the rebuilt kit was on the bike ran perfectly to my knowledge. Idle was good and i was riding it daily. All line are correct and put in the right place. It could be the idle scew but I don’t know to much on where that is located ? But again I had no issues with this bike before the bike flooded with gas. spark plugs are good. It turns over good but just seems like it just doesn’t catch.

·
Registered
214 Posts
The idle adjustment is an extended cable that locks on to the air filter housing. It's a little black knob that is between the rear exhaust pipe and the air filter cover. The petcock is vacuum operated so if you don't have that connected to a vacuum source it won't feed enough fuel. You can move the petcock to the PRI position to bypass the vacuum line but you will need to get that fixed if something is wrong with it. To check if the carb is getting fuel you'll need to remove the air filter housing and open the drain screw on the bottom of the carb. If fuel comes out very slowly or is discolored, you need to look at the petcock and fuel filter. If you have a steady stream of fuel then the issue is probably carb related. These bikes have accelerator pumps so twisting the throttle should shoot a stream of fuel into the throat of the carb. From there the jets will take over for idling and cruising. If twisting the throttle shoots fuel in and the bike starts but won't idle then it's likely that your jets are clogged. When you clean up the carb do not use carb cleaner on the vacuum diaphragm on the slide. It will damage the rubber and you'll have to replace it.

Edit- The little black idle adjustment knob is between the front exhaust pipe and air cleaner, not rear. I'll try to take a picture for you later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts