Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I bought an old 2000 Vulcan 800 off Craigslist about a year and a half ago. It was in decent shape. But I had a vision. So after a couple test rides in my own neighborhood. I immediately started tearing it apart. I literally replaced almost everything or painted it. The bike is now about 99% done. Still have a few minor things left. But I did finally get it started for the first time since summer 2017!! Bike runs great and I cannot wait to get it fully ready and running.

But here’s my problem and questions. The bike seems to pull to the left pretty good. So bad that there’s no way you could take your hands off the handlebars. And it makes right hand turns pretty difficult. Just riding it in my own neighborhood I had a difficult time making a turn and almost found myself too close to a mailbox that I would have liked.

I never took the forks apart or off. Just painted them. But the front wheel and tire was replaced. It’s now 16” instead of 21”. The rear wheel was taken off multiple times. And the only possible thing I can think of is the rear wheel may be out of alignment? The notches ln the sides appear to be even indicating it’s level. However when I stand behind the bike and stare at the rear wheel. It almost appears that it’s slightly crooked. Like it angles and points toward the right a little? Not a lot at all. Just barely. Of course it could just be my mind.

So my question is.... what things could cause this? And does anyone have any videos or procedures on how to really align the real wheel?

Here is a before and after pic from the day I bought it to yesterday how it sits at the moment.

Other than this leaning issue. I just need to bleed the front brakes, install my matching leather grips and install the mirrors. I’m basically done. Just gotta get this leaning issue and brakes done. Both seem to be kinda important 🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Naturally rear wheel alignment needs to be correct.
With the bike up in the air, do the handlebars turn freely?

·
Registered
199 Posts
If still pulls to the right after rear wheel alignment, check maybe the bike had an accident before. Thinking to a bend frame ... hope not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry I can't help with the pulling to one side other than suggesting a wheel alignment. I have a laser that you sit on the rear sprocket and it shines down the length of the chain. I used to do it by eye and using the markings, but was amazed by how far out it could be when I used the laser.

Anyway, I love the way your bike looks, especially the front fender. I hate the way the one on my 800 classic looks so bulky and would love to change it. What fender is it?

Thanks

Munky

1 - 6 of 6 Posts