Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

41 - 60 of 817 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
no, not exactly. I cut the 800 mufflers off just ahead of where they are welded on at, then welded on the Sportster mufflers in their place. I then cut the chrome heat shields to match the muffler for location, fabbed a mount for the upper muffler, then one for the rear. It worked really easy, I don't know why more people haven't done this.
I did have to rejet because it was running very lean out on the highway. At 65 I could crack the throttle open and it would fall on its face, pull the choke out just a bit and it would pick up again. Not sure why putting these on leaned it out but it sure did.
Oh, thanks for the compliment, I've had them on for 3 years and you are only the second person ever to approve.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks. I might have to give it a try. I was going to discard the stock exhaust anyway.

Plus, my new jets arrived today so I'm good to go there. I already have the stock mufflers punched out and the airbox opened up so I needed the bigger jets.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After some inspiration from Bob Myers' pictures, I finally decided to take the plunge and install Sportster mufflers on my Vulcan. Once I made a couple adapters to mate the different pipe sizes, a friend came over with his welder and we got it all assembled.

The bike now has a totally different sound - much more like a H-D. I hope to get it out on the road later today and see how it runs. The carb has already been rejetted and the air intake grampsized, so we'll see how the whole package works.

Here's a couple quick pictures I took after the job was done. I think they look much better than the stock hulks that were on it. They are much lighter too.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Those must be 1200 mufflers. I looked at those but they are about 3 inches longer and have a bigger diameter and outlet. That I like more than I thought I would.
They do look great, much better than I expected.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
Other than the cool factor of having a rigid, why make it solid? If you haven't ridden it much yet you may very well regret it when season opens up. I rode a converted rigid Triumph for about half a summer. I was actually relived when it got stolen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I love the flow of the bike! It's hard to tell from the pics but I would probably extend the tank about 2 to 3 inches depending on the handle bar clearance. Maybe paint the side covers? I do like the flow though with the higher bars to the seat and lower rear. Just my opinion though, it's your bike Frisco and have at it.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I love the flow of the bike! It's hard to tell from the pics but I would probably extend the tank about 2 to 3 inches depending on the handle bar clearance. Maybe paint the side covers? I do like the flow though with the higher bars to the seat and lower rear. Just my opinion though, it's your bike Frisco and have at it.
I agree, the sporty tank looks good on it

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks guys. I have been riding rigid frame bikes since I was 25, I'm 49 now and still not any smarter I guess. All I can say in my defense is I just lke the lines and it dosen't seem bother me, even to ride a couple of hundred miles on them. The Sporty tank is actually an aftermarket King Sporty tank that I took of my '67 Triumph chop. I personally don't care for stretched tanks. The fender I got for Xmas from my wife, it's for a HD Softail and the sissy bar I had laying around from a bunch of Triumph parts given to me a few years ago.

41 - 60 of 817 Posts