Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an 06 Vulcan 900 for three years rode it everywhere absolutely loved it . I also had a nomad at the same time so earlier this year i decided to sell the 900 . Sold it to a friend of mine who still rides it . Last week i found a super deal on an 03 Vulcan 800 Classic could'nt pass it up so i bought it . Heres where my question comes from , while riding with my bud who has the 900 i could out run him in every gear i thought it might just be the rider so we swapped bikes , again the 800 was faster is this the norm ?

·
Registered
742 Posts
i have noticed my 900 to be... "sluggish" or ball-less when comparing it to other bikes that friends have... but then again, i got the bike to cruise and enjoy the road not to race people.

i always tell a-holes that give me crap for having a wimpy 900 that i love the ride, i love the feel of the bike, i love cruising around and taking long trips... i'm not in a hurry, if i was i would have bought a crotch rocket?!?! sure, bigger cc's have more get up and go... but that's not what i was after with this bike.

to each his own... just ride!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ride

I just cruise too after selling my 900 i really missed it . The 800 feels really peppy to me seems like it has a higher powerband .

·
Registered
252 Posts
Ditto, but on another note my brother-in-law has a HD Deluxe and a couple of weeks ago we did about 1100 miles together. He might have me on top end, but his HD was no match for the 9 from 0-70.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Had a 1995 800a... until I changed the gear ratios to make it more of a road bike it would pull the front wheel slightly in 1st & 2nd gear if you were getting on it... up to 70mph a buddies Heritage Softtail HD that was stage 2 built would not hang with it... nothing slow about those bikes.!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
My brother in law bought a Yamaha VStar 950 the same week I bought my 900 and the 950 is way faster and rides much peppier. But I still like the Vulcan better and so does he. It has every thing to do the Vulcans power curve it produces it's power at a lower RPM I know people say this bike likes
to whined and it may whine but it aint making no more power.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The 800's were rockets man. There's more power on a 900 but it is just a stretched 800 engine and everything weighs more. If you can find a 800 and can swing it, buy one of em. They make great bobbers, like this one of my friends, I got to ride it a bit a Eureka Springs this spring, man what a blast. And that nekked front wheel, ran across some water going over the road (it rained constantly) and got hit with the spray. Just before I started cussing I realize, I kinda liked it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 800's were rockets man. There's more power on a 900 but it is just a stretched 800 engine and everything weighs more. If you can find a 800 and can swing it, buy one of em. They make great bobbers, like this one of my friends, I got to ride it a bit a Eureka Springs this spring, man what a blast. And that nekked front wheel, ran across some water going over the road (it rained constantly) and got hit with the spray. Just before I started cussing I realize, I kinda liked it.

Was in Eureka Springs this weekend i was at Bikes Blues and Barbecue and rode over to Eureka Sat morning . Did some research on the 800 all the road test i read shows its alot faster than the 900 . I loved my 900 but this little 800 is a blast to ride .

·
Registered
445 Posts
I love my 04 1500 fi nomad but I will never part with my 99 800b. The pure joy of blasting through the gear and throwing it from side to side through the twisties always keeps a smile on my face.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The 800 may not be faster, but it IS quicker from light to light...and the V* is probably - almost certainly faster. There's no replacement for displacement.
The 900 has tractor-like torque....and tractor-like acceleration...:D

Still, I'll take the VN900 over most any bike in it's class---actually all of them, since I have one sitting in the parking lot right now.
I looked HARD at a V*950, and less so at the Honda, and Suzuki....and they're all great bikes. As they say in the MSF classes....YOU have to ride YOUR ride.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
A couple of months ago I "raced" an 800 down the highway. The 800 had exhaust and an air intake upgrade. He couldn't keep up to me at all.....
At the end we stopped in for a coffee (I didn't know him)....I pulled in first....he came in behind me and walked over.....we chatted and laughed for awhile at our...um...youthfullness....and he said "he had no idea the nine's were that fast".
So, there ya go. Just sayin.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
raced

A couple of months ago I "raced" an 800 down the highway. The 800 had exhaust and an air intake upgrade. He couldn't keep up to me at all.....
At the end we stopped in for a coffee (I didn't know him)....I pulled in first....he came in behind me and walked over.....we chatted and laughed for awhile at our...um...youthfullness....and he said "he had no idea the nine's were that fast".
So, there ya go. Just sayin.
Must have been something wrong with the 800 . I have owned them both and i can tell you the 800 is faster , also any road test i have read online the 800 is faster close to a second through the 1/4 mile . The 800 keeps pulling when the 900 dies off , the 800 has alot more top end . There both great bikes the 900 was probably my favorite bike ever .

·
Registered
13 Posts
While I have an '07 900, my wife has an '01 800 that is full of extra chrome accessories (read extra weight). She can beat me off the line every time. Sometimes I take her bike if I want more zip. For the longer haul and general riding around, I prefer the FI 900 every time.
So I would agree with the general sentiment that the 900 seems more sluggish than it's predecessor.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Agree

While I have an '07 900, my wife has an '01 800 that is full of extra chrome accessories (read extra weight). She can beat me off the line every time. Sometimes I take her bike if I want more zip. For the longer haul and general riding around, I prefer the FI 900 every time.
So I would agree with the general sentiment that the 900 seems more sluggish than it's predecessor.
The 900 is better all around i agree , but the 800 sure is fun to ride have'nt touched my nomad since i bought it .

·
Registered
1 Posts
hmm, glad to hear you think the 2003 800ccclassic is faster.. I got the same bike and love it. My first bike was a 2002 500, so the progression to a larger vulcan was obvious. I've been on shadows, triumphs, sport bikes, etc and nothing is as smooth to ride as my vulcans have been

1 - 16 of 16 Posts