Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've posted this in another forum, but since I'm such an attention seeker I'll start here too. ;)

Frame is 4" up, Rake is around 48 deg

Springer is DNA, " 10" over
21" 80 spoke hoop, 'cause I luv to clean..and clean..and clean..

I am following a slightly minimalist approach, but I like shiny stuff, so there will be Chrome. (You've been warned)

Obligatory Beginning Pic:

Parts is Parts:

In the Jig:

Welding almost done:

Decided to go with a square down tube, because the front is so wide, and to be a bit different.

Seat Mount:

Lot's of work still to go.
Rear stock seat mount will be cut off, a bar welded across for seat posts.
No more switches on the bars.
I will be keeping the side covers. Switches will be mounted there and all electrics, Lithium Ion Battery will be used.

I should have the frame back by next weekend, will add pics of the wheels and front end on.

I'll keep updating every few days.

I'm TRYING to get it on the road by the second week of July.
To that end, the paint will be a quick rattle can flat black.
Powder-coat and nice paint job will have to wait until off-season.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Wow. I want some of those tools you've got there. Excited to see how this thing ends up.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, sorry for the delay.

Here's some pics as a roller.

Finishing up on the tank mods.
Because the tank is mounted high, "Frisco Style", a few things needed to be done.
The front capped off to close the high tunnel, cosmetic only.

The petcock location had to be changed to the bottom left, so I could get a decent amount of gas. I will use a simple 3/8" Hose Ball valve for a petcock, trick, and old-school simple

New rockers for the springer are being made, so I can have the trail at around 3-4"

Then a quick rattle-can paint job, install the motor, re-wire and hopefully I can ride it before August arrives.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dude that thing is sweet... Course you already know that! Real nice work, clean welds and fabrication. Looks like you know what your doing... I'm green with envy, Kawasaki green that is. ;^)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Thanks man.
But I can't take credit for the welding, I'm not skilled enough for a safe frame.
A local custom builder did that for me.

It runs now.
Some more recent pics.

Since those pics were taken, I've wrapped the pipes and added some turnout tips.
I needed to add a banjo/bolt brake light pressure switch to fit the GMA M/C
I added a mini speedo, on a bracket near the left front motor mount

After a couple of days, I got used to the front end, now it feels pretty much the same as stock to me, no wobbles, super stable.

The ride *IS* a bit rougher, the front end picks up more road vibration, but it doesn't bounce at all. I have a shock damper for the front end, but I've not installed it.

It's been 3 weeks now, and everything's good so far, my turning radius is larger now, sometimes I need a three point turn. LOL

Still needs a proper paint job, but that will wait until later.

·
Registered
440 Posts
BEAUTIFUL bike. I'd prefer a NONfrisco style tank, but even that doesn't sour it on me.

I don't know how tall you are but it might be more comfortable with forward controls.

I think the front end is awesome. I just put 10 over tubes on mine and raked it out to accommodate. I have a little wobble and am considering putting a front fender back in for support even though I really don't want it on.

I hated the rewire too. blech. I basically had to reconstruct all the electrical save the original fire control unit. I cut the crap out of the original battery tray and put it all there.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for my lack of posts guys, life keeps getting in the way.

95vulc:

The bars are Biltwell Beezer Bars.
I've found them too tall, and don't like how they looked on the bike.

I've switched to 24" Drag Bars with 8" risers, lower, meaner look.

Daboo311:

Ha, Ha.. funny stuff.
When I ride, "I'm The Bobble-Head"

Since this pic, I've added some slash-cut tips and wrapped the pipes.
Replaced the Hypercharger with this:

I've discovered a few things.
1: Vulcan's don't need the fan, or thermostat
2: Sporty Tanks with screw gas caps leak like a bitch when filled close to the top.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are those straight pipes and if they are do they affect performance in any way

Actually, they are the head pipes from a set of old V&H Cruizers I had lying around.

In stock form, they were too long, so I cut them off before the muffler chamber, then I stuffed a set of 4 inch 1.75" glasspack baffles inside.

Since then, I put on the V&H heatshields back on to make the pipes look thicker, added a set of cheap 1.75" chrome turnouts, and wrapped the pipes with black wrap, leaving the turn-outs exposed.

A cheap-ass method, but they still look a lot better.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Actually, they are the head pipes from a set of old V&H Cruizers I had lying around.

In stock form, they were too long, so I cut them off before the muffler chamber, then I stuffed a set of 4 inch 1.75" glasspack baffles inside.

Since then, I put on the V&H heatshields back on to make the pipes look thicker, added a set of cheap 1.75" chrome turnouts, and wrapped the pipes with black wrap, leaving the turn-outs exposed.

A cheap-ass method, but they still look a lot better.
Gonna share some updated pics? :^D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 19 of 19 Posts