Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm looking at possibly buying a 1995 Vulcan 750. The owner says it rides for about 20 minutes then acts like it's starving for gas and quits. He put it in a shop and they didn't fix it but another shop told him it could possibly be the plug, plug wires or coil(s) was breaking down after it heats up. My question is, has anyone else experienced this and what did it turn out to be? If it is the coil how hard is it to change out on this model, I think there are actually two coils on this so do both need to be changed? Any input is appreciated, as I have to decide by August 28th if I want to buy this thing. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
4 Posts
One guy on one of these Vulcan forums described the same problem yesterday (you might try to find it in the 'engine/carb' section), and it was that the engine was starving for gas. The fault was that there was a bit of 'stuff' in the gasline to the carbs. A friend of his took a mighty puff and blew out a little flat round piece of paint, as would come off the end of a bolt, from the line and he had no more trouble after that. Maybe that's all it would take, just a firm blow-out of all the lines from the petcock to the carbs.
Good place to start, anyway. (If both cylinders are starving, it would be between the petcock and the split.) Sounds worth a try.

Hi guys,
I'm looking at possibly buying a 1995 Vulcan 750. The owner says it rides for about 20 minutes then acts like it's starving for gas and quits. He put it in a shop and they didn't fix it but another shop told him it could possibly be the plug, plug wires or coil(s) was breaking down after it heats up. My question is, has anyone else experienced this and what did it turn out to be? If it is the coil how hard is it to change out on this model, I think there are actually two coils on this so do both need to be changed? Any input is appreciated, as I have to decide by August 28th if I want to buy this thing. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
719 Posts
Anyone check the fuel tank vent? Coils and igniters are prone to temperature related problems after about 10 years. Sometimes the coil casing will crack which makes it easy to identify the problem. You'll need a manual to check the coils when they're hot and see if there's a problem. You can't test the igniter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
One guy on one of these Vulcan forums described the same problem yesterday (you might try to find it in the 'engine/carb' section), and it was that the engine was starving for gas. The fault was that there was a bit of 'stuff' in the gasline to the carbs. A friend of his took a mighty puff and blew out a little flat round piece of paint, as would come off the end of a bolt, from the line and he had no more trouble after that. Maybe that's all it would take, just a firm blow-out of all the lines from the petcock to the carbs.
Good place to start, anyway. (If both cylinders are starving, it would be between the petcock and the split.) Sounds worth a try.
Not quite man, the petcock has a separate outlet for each carb. There is no split, Y or T in the fuel line.

Also seems unlikely to be trash in the fuel line if the bike will consistently run for 20 minutes after starting, before the fuel starvation starts. Sounds more like "POOGS", the Phantom Out Of Gas Syndrome, which is caused by a plugged fuel tank vent or vent hose. Good call Baitus. :)

For more info on poogs and how to clean the vent and line see this link:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14507&highlight=poogs

Anyone check the fuel tank vent? Coils and igniters are prone to temperature related problems after about 10 years. Sometimes the coil casing will crack which makes it easy to identify the problem. You'll need a manual to check the coils when they're hot and see if there's a problem. You can't test the igniter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts