Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I hope one of ya'll could help me out with my bike. I'm new at this, so please forgive any ignorance on my end. Ok, here is my problem:

- I changed my oil last weekend. Rode the bike with no problems that day for 15-20 miles.
- I had a hunch that I put too much oil in the tank when I got home that day (I forgot to check the oil meter after I did the oil change) so I checked the oil meter and sure enough it was filled to the top. I don't think I seriously overfilled the tank, but I'm a perfectionist, so I want it fixed.
- I got around to fixing this today. After a couple of unsuccessful attempts to siphon the oil out of the tank, I put the oil pan under the bike and went about the dirty way of doing this by unscrewing the oil drain plug.
- After unscrewing the plug, a significant amount of oil was released into the pan b/c I had a heck of a time screwing in the plug to stop the drainage. My rough guess - which could be completely wrong - was that I lost a liter of oil. Again, I started from likely a slightly overfilled tank.
-I decided to then try to start the engine to warm up the oil and see where the level was. After I pressed the ignition button, the bike tried to turnover, but then immediately started making a horrible buzzing sound.
- I thought that this was due to a lack of oil in the bike, so I added about a quarter of a liter. Tried to start the bike again, and it went straight to the buzzing sound. Added a little more oil, and again - buzz city.
- The panel lights are on when the key is turned, so I don't think it is a battery problem. Again, this all started after I attempted to adjust the oil.

This is certainly a perplexing problem. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Check for loose/Dirty battery connections.....See the sticky at top of page.....These bikes are nutritious for battery connections.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Sorry its just something that happened and its NOT related to the oil.

First get the oil level correct, to much is NO good, then go have your battery load tested.
I'd guess your battery will fail that test.
Then go get a new battery.
It has enough power to turn on the lights, but not enough power to start the bike - the telltale sign - the clicking buzzing noise.

Then do a search for this - "how long do batteries last".
A battery can fail just from one minute to the next.

·
Registered
182 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts