Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 vulcan 500
Bike is in overall great shape for its age - engine is strong but my issue is the person i bought it from had done some strange things to it.

Airbox removed (no air box) and some generic looking carbs put on it with pod air filters and it ran, it ran rough but it ran good enough to tell the engine is good.
He had the stock carbs in a box that he gave to me and i figured a quick fix.

Cleaned carbs, put new carb kits in, got new pod air filters that fit stock carbs, new spark plugs, put it all back together and it starts fine, idles fine but as soon as give it some throttle it bogs down.
one issue is the right carb (right side as sitting on bike) the vacuum nossel was capped and from what I can tell from reading threads is it is supposed to connect to some air cleaner canister thing that connected to the valve cover hoses ... well that has been removed.
The valve covers has 2 hoses that connect to a T connector with a hose going up with a small pod filter attached – no air cleaner canister thing to connect the carb to.

It ran with those little after market carbs - i cannot figure this out for the life of me .. I like the look of the engine/bike with the airbox removed and the pod filters on carbs but thinking i may need to get a stock airbox and whatever that air cleaner thing is...IDK.
I did see a you tube video where a guy capped the top of engine where valve cover hoses are.
Just not sure what to do

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Regarding the running issue: The stock carbs NEED the complete stock airbox in order to work properly. If pods are installed the carbs MUST be rejetted. DynoJet kit 2128 for the Ninja 500 will help.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I found a stock air box not to far away (from a 2003 vulcan 500) and is same for 96-07 from what i could find. it fits bike but the air box boots dont seem to fit over the back of carbs...and i seriously cannot get the carbs back in with the air box in now...there is 0 room to get everything back together.
Some sort of trick to doing this?
Terrible engineering
Having the hardest time - any tips would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The trick to getting the carbs in place is to push the boots into the airbox enough to move the carbs in place. It takes patience but it can be done. I usually connect the throttle cables and fuel lines beforehand.

Regarding getting the boots to fit onto the carbs roll the spring that is on the boot out of its groove, twist/pull/push/shove the boots onto the carb flange, then roll the spring back into place.

The airbox must be complete with its 'snorkel' and air filter in place to work properly. Plug the hole for the epa hose if you must.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts