Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*Reposting here, don't know how to delete my other post under Wrench Heads*

For a 2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 500 LTD.

So my battery was toast (I think. It was at least 3 years old, came with the bike, and wouldn't take a jumpstart from my car. It tested fully charged but "Bad" at 150 CCA and "Good" at 200 CCA...but I couldn't find the actual CCA anywhere on the internet. It was an Interstate 12V...don't remember the model #) so I replaced it with what seemed like an equivalent AGM battery from O'Reilly Auto Parts. It's a "Super Start" Powersport AGM ETX15L.

The problem is, the battery is SLIGHTLY deeper/thicker than the original, and I can't for the life of me get it all the way into the slot. I hooked it up to test it, and the bike started right away, so I'm guessing that was the problem. But even with it half-way down the slot I can't get the seat back on to ride it.

Any suggestions on how to fit this damn thing in? I already took out the plastic "cup" thing the original battery was in, but beneath that there is a sort of metal frame that does not seem to be removable. It's soooo close, like 1 cm off. I even read somewhere that someone else made this battery work. I don't want to damage the battery by jamming it in there--and maybe never be able to get it out.

Has anyone ever modified their "battery hole"?? Ha.

Worst case scenario: what AGM battery can I replace it with that WILL fit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why didnt you bring it back and get the correct size one??
It was the closest size they had. I went to two different battery stores. Even the conventional lead acid batteries were the same--just slightly too wide. At the time, my bike was stuck in a parking garage so I needed something sooner. Since I ended up having to get it towed home anyway (free with roadside assistance) now I have more time to troubleshoot.

I will probably just end up returning the other one and ordering something online now that I can wait for it. I'm looking at this one: https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYT12CL.html#WayPointTechSpecs

·
Registered
697 Posts
Yep I have a Batterystuff battery right now. My second.
Bought my en500 with a water battery and after a month of not checking it the cells went low, and the battery died shorty there after. NEVER buy a flooded battery again - AGM only.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts