Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get to a 17” rear rim on the back. Preferably spoked but not picky. I think the axle is 17mm, would also like to keep a drum on the back and not have to weld a bunch of stuff on for disc brakes. I was going to use an old ninja 500 rim until I found out it’s a 16” unlike the newer ones that are 17” but run a disc. Really would like to avoid buying custom spokes to relace, but so far it’s either that or converting to a disc.

The reason for the swap is to get a dual sport tire on it, I can’t find any for the stock rim.

So can anyone think of any candidates for a swap? or want to give opinion as to whether it would be easier to convert to disc or re lace?

Thanks!

·
Registered
250 Posts
OOOH... this one ought to be fun.

I don't know of any 17" rear rims that accurately line up on the 500. You could play the spacers a bit one way or another to adjust your chain alignment and overall width. You might also run into fitment issues inside the swingarm with the larger tire diameter as well.

You'd have to stick to the metric stuff, obviously. Maybe some of the older Honda CB series bikes?

Just curious, can you find your dual sport tire in 16" to fit the Ninja wheel? That might be your best bet for a bolt on crossover...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Main Street gal is a nighthawk 750 and I eyeballed it, the rear axle is smaller on the hawk so I’d have to rig up a sleeve over the axle or something like that.
Maybe I could measure the clearances and order some different bearings. I put a 17” rim in there to see how the swing arm looked and found out the od of a 17” trail wing tire and the stock Vulcan tire are pretty much the same. Taking that in to consideration it won’t really raise the rear end up or affect gearing much. Supringly most dirt scooters I’ve seen have very little clearance between the tire and swing arm unlike the Vulcan, but I guess it makes sense from the wheelbase and structure perspectives to have it that way.

Barbers vintage festival is coming up so I’m gonna eyeball all the back wheels I can there. Maybe a klr 600 would be a close match

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve only found one dual sport 16” tire available online. 17 is gonna be the way to go for the most street and trail tire options, I’d be ok with 18 as well

1 - 4 of 4 Posts