Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was all set to ride and a half mile from my sisters house it start making a clanky sound, I stop put it in neutral then back in first and nothing happens, has a weird sound like which ut has has since I it had to be towed when the clutch cable needed to be replaced. I know my riding season is done but thinking I may be done with motorcycling for a bit if the repair is to much. Still owe $3000 on it and im sure the repair is more than that with man hours.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If it's the most common problem it's the splines are stripped.
Costs around $900 at an independent shop.

JJ

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Whats the best case and worse case scenarios?, btw only has 18000 miles on it doesnt seem like a lot for a bikes trans or spline to go

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes!, that would keep me off the road for a bit

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Whats the best case and worse case scenarios?, btw only has 18000 miles on it doesnt seem like a lot for a bikes trans or spline to go
everybody assumes the worst and starts with that position puts them out of the game. It's not likely anything major in the trannie, gears or splines have gone from good to bad w/o some indication first and you ignoring or abusing it.
From what little you wrote, mostlikely the shift fork under the right side gear cover (very ez accessible) has come undone. It would be ez to check and fix.
Pix later. If you go so far as to open up that side of the final drive gears and that is the problem, i would go ahead and change those gears w/ EuroGears.
Don't quit on this bike so fast. 18k miles is first year break in. Many have well over 50k and some a 100k on these motors. They are really hevyduty. You got some minor issue needs sorting is all. poncho

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
everybody assumes the worst and starts with that position puts them out of the game. It's not likely anything major in the trannie, gears or splines have gone fris m good to bad w/o some indication first and you ignoring or abusing it.
From what little you wrote, mostlikely the shift fork under the right side gear cover (very ez accessible) has come undone. It would be ez to check and fix.
Pix later. If you go so far as to open up that side of the final drive gears and that is the problem, i would go ahead and change those gears w/ EuroGears.
Don't quit on this bike so fast. 18k miles is first year break in. Many have well over 50k and some a 100k on these motors. They are really hevyduty. You got some minor issue needs sorting is all. poncho
in retrospect poncho I think that sound I was hearing that i thought was front wheel may have come from the engine. Not giving up on it at all, love cow a saki since I waa riding kz's this is the first time ive had a major issue with a kaw. Hoping its simple always look firward and respect your input

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
That's the most common.
If you have to tear the motor down $2400-#$3000

JJ
I hate to burst your bubble, but my trans is up to $4300 in parts and labor. Mine wasn't the same issue, so I do hope that yours is easier to resolve.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate to burst your bubble, but my trans is up to $4300 in parts and labor. Mine wasn't the same issue, so I do hope that yours is easier to resolve.
If that is the case I see a vulcan 2000 that will sit until its paid, I can by another one for cheaper than that, actually wouldnt mind having a stock one anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
If that is the case I see a vulcan 2000 that will sit until its paid, I can by another one for cheaper than that, actually wouldnt mind having a stock one anyway.
I got super lucky with mine. The invoice of parts is 3 pages long. The only good part is that it will be a new bike by the end. Since they have it apart, they are doing up to the piston rings...

It took a lot of thought and a long time to decide to follow through on the repair. In the end, it was 4300 or drop 16-18k on a new bike. I decided a repaired 2k is what I wanted. I'm also having the EuroGears installed.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats a good thing but im a poor biker $4300, same as $18000 when you have a kid in college and one about to be in college. What is a eurogear?

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
What is a eurogear?
its a pair of final drive gears, kaw puts on all their non N.Am units. they are 48t x 46t vs the Nam units are 52 x 44? about 10% taller. each gear has a longer stretch, less RPM at speed = overdrive 5th. no need for 6th gear. cost $200 pair.

btw, pic of shift fork under this cover.. mite be the culprit of your MisShift fitts?

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
its a pair of final drive gears, kaw puts on all their non N.Am units. they are 48t x 46t vs the Nam units are 52 x 44? about 10% taller. each gear has a longer stretch, less RPM at speed = overdrive 5th. no need for 6th gear. cost $200 pair.

btw, pic of shift fork under this cover.. mite be the culprit of your MisShift fitts?
That would be nice to have, especially for $200, waiting for a mechanic to call me back to take a look at her. The sounds of bikes driving me crazy, and since we couldnt go riding yesterday, my gf parked her bike and went to see a chick flick, :-(. Someone said it could be the clutch, how much is that usually?. Hope bike bandit has parts since tghis bike is not made anymore.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Still havent had my bike checked but think I want eurogears no matter what, however nothing coming up on google except forums. Is there another name for eurogears?

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks brother

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
No problem. I have done tons of research on the matter, and it's surprisingly hard to find information about Euro Gears. I bookmarked it for an occasion such as this.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Thanks brother
Www.babbits is the place to get em. They're jus a bit over the bridge hang a left. Or call em worx too. They useta didn't sell em stateside and beartooth(?) in canukida wanted premium dollares' so mich'agin was the goto place.

If you need step by step destruxions, we posted em years ago. Can do agin.

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
Www.babbits is the place to get em. They're jus a bit over the bridge hang a left. Or call em worx too. They useta didn't sell em stateside and beartooth(?) in canukida wanted premium dollares' so mich'agin was the goto place.

If you need step by step destruxions, we posted em years ago. Can do agin.
My local dealer was able to order them now. Slightly more than ordering online, but no shipping. Works for me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts