Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I want to first thank John (Bad Habit) for sending me the original fax on how to debaffle the exhaust. I then seen how the muffler was constructed from that fax. I was not comfortable with gutting it all out because in my opinion it would sound to raspy and tin canish, for better words. I have had experiance with moified car exhaust and such so it plays here. Well I thought then to just remove the end and front caps off the baffle. Here it goes!

I used a 9-1/2" hole saw extension added to a 1-1/4" sollid hole saw. With these added together I was able to go through the last cap inside. Be very carful for when you break through the last cap (towards the front) the catalyst honeycomb is in front of it. I did not want to go through that. It is very simple and straight forward. Take your time and go easy. Nice thing is you dont have to take the mufflers off! Thats it your done! It has a low deep rumble tone to it and it is a true glass pack. When you get on it it sounds very nice. No popping on decel any more then when it was stock. I have attached pics of the mod and the tools. I also have a AVI clip of it if you want to hear it. Just send me your email and I can send it off to you. If someone knows where I could host this I will send it there so I dont have to do the email thing. Either way is fine with me.

Any questions or concerns shoot away and I will try to help you out.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pics of the mod and tools.
First pic shows the hole saw, extension and ruler for referance. It also shows the caps removed. The 2 on the left wer the outer ones and the right 2 are from the inside closest to the motor.
Second and Third pics show the caps off and looking down the exhaust towards the front of the bike. You can see the honey comb convertor inside deep.

Attachments

·
Registered
103 Posts
I wasn't real impressed whith the job after, hell with all 4 screans out it still sounds the same maybe a bit louder but it's just a bit. Not worth the 17 bucks for tools! Oh well least I didn't screw it up the job was too easy took about 2 min if that.

So over all I have to give this project 2 thumbs down, go buy the pipes when you get the cash this isn't the sound your looking for, very weak!

C

·
0 Posts
I wasn't real impressed whith the job after, hell with all 4 screans out it still sounds the same maybe a bit louder but it's just a bit. Not worth the 17 bucks for tools! Oh well least I didn't screw it up the job was too easy took about 2 min if that.

So over all I have to give this project 2 thumbs down, go buy the pipes when you get the cash this isn't the sound your looking for, very weak!
Thanks for your honest opinion.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Interested in modifying stock exhaust.

Farmer your write up on stock exhaust modification is great. Is this loud at highway speeds compared to stock exhaust w/o the mod?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did the same mod to my bike and just at idle it sounds the same kind of. putting down the road you can tell it's open but not much really. Now if you really jump on it you can hear it better although when the motor levals out it quite as a mouse again, you can only tell the mod is done when your running at high grear opened up.

I'm looking to be louder myself this mod is very very very modest sound for sure. Oh yeah, you might hear a little pop here and ther as you go down your gears like in the windy montain roads were you go up and down your gears you'll hear pop pop pop here and there and that the carb saying I need to breathe more. I think...

·
Registered
136 Posts
I did the same mod to my bike and just at idle it sounds the same kind of. putting down the road you can tell it's open but not much really. Now if you really jump on it you can hear it better although when the motor levals out it quite as a mouse again, you can only tell the mod is done when your running at high grear opened up.

I'm looking to be louder myself this mod is very very very modest sound for sure. Oh yeah, you might hear a little pop here and ther as you go down your gears like in the windy montain roads were you go up and down your gears you'll hear pop pop pop here and there and that the carb saying I need to breathe more. I think...
it's injected, no carb. It's leaner if anything already, so more air is not the answer. Louder exhaust lets the already existent backfiring...........be noticeable.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Dave,
love to have the AVI file and any other guidance you have prepared. Not sure I will do it but it sounds interesting !

Thanks!,

Annie [email protected]

Ok I want to first thank John (Bad Habit) for sending me the original fax on how to debaffle the exhaust. I then seen how the muffler was constructed from that fax. I was not comfortable with gutting it all out because in my opinion it would sound to raspy and tin canish, for better words. I have had experiance with moified car exhaust and such so it plays here. Well I thought then to just remove the end and front caps off the baffle. Here it goes!

I used a 9-1/2" hole saw extension added to a 1-1/4" sollid hole saw. With these added together I was able to go through the last cap inside. Be very carful for when you break through the last cap (towards the front) the catalyst honeycomb is in front of it. I did not want to go through that. It is very simple and straight forward. Take your time and go easy. Nice thing is you dont have to take the mufflers off! Thats it your done! It has a low deep rumble tone to it and it is a true glass pack. When you get on it it sounds very nice. No popping on decel any more then when it was stock. I have attached pics of the mod and the tools. I also have a AVI clip of it if you want to hear it. Just send me your email and I can send it off to you. If someone knows where I could host this I will send it there so I dont have to do the email thing. Either way is fine with me.

Any questions or concerns shoot away and I will try to help you out.

Dave

·
Registered
103 Posts
it's injected, no carb. It's leaner if anything already, so more air is not the answer. Louder exhaust lets the already existent backfiring...........be noticeable.

Right,,, injected. Lord know why I said carb other then I don't know shit about my bike other then it's big fast, quite and I love to ride her. Still learning about my bike and thank God this and other sites like this one is around to help out! Once I learned about this mod though it would save money, "NOT" But it got me working on her and that was fun.

Now as for the back fire "IE" poping that's normal??? From what I read air filter change that, that's why I thought breathe, IDK... Oh yeah the poping isn't a big deal least people get to the power of my ride when she pops off a bit =)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Annie I sent the sound clip off.

As for the mod, I played with it because I didnt have the buck wheats for an exhaust. I liked it but decided to jump on a great deal on ebay. I got the vance and hines powershots and HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am in love ;-)

Nice deep rumble and just the note I was looking for. I got the whole setup free shipping for $515. Not bad.

I think the mod would work much better if it did not have the stinkin cat in front of it.

Dave

·
Registered
136 Posts
Right,,, injected. Lord know why I said carb other then I don't know shit about my bike other then it's big fast, quite and I love to ride her. Still learning about my bike and thank God this and other sites like this one is around to help out! Once I learned about this mod though it would save money, "NOT" But it got me working on her and that was fun.

Now as for the back fire "IE" poping that's normal??? From what I read air filter change that, that's why I thought breathe, IDK... Oh yeah the poping isn't a big deal least people get to the power of my ride when she pops off a bit =)
yes....normal. 2 fixes will "help" but wont necessarily stop it all. A fuel processor to richen up the mixture, a little or alot depending on your intake, and plug up the air injection (smog) system. I took off the chrome a/f cover and took a piece of plastic wrap and plugged up the hole in the upper left corner. Some use marbles to plug up the hoses (from the air valve under the tank) to the outside of each cylinder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts