Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a stock vulcan 2000 that i am kinda converting to a touring style bike. (Wife flipped when i sold goldwing) anyways since i have added some weight and i cant have a harley running with me i guess its time to do some power upgrades.
I bought a commander off ebay dirt cheap $100. Installed it the other day to test it and it ran. So i plugged in the computer and cut down all the dramatic values, anything over 10 to below and set the throttle closed line to 3 instead of 10 like it was. Is this ok since my bike is stock at the moment? It seems hard to start now though, but i think it runs better.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also noticed there is a plug unplugged on the throttle body, its maybe a 3/4 pin connector right on top on the outside. Someone did it on purpose because it is taped up to keep the weather out.

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run k&n air filters on my work truck, lots of backroads, blowing dirt. It lets by a ton of fine dirt. They really are junk filters. But if you oil them with atv air filter oil i believe it filters as good as any paper filter, the k&n oil just isnt thick enough.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It will never filter as good as a paper filter. Saw a test about it, will try to find it again.
You can see right through a K&N filter. No oil can fix that.
We try to buy the best oil, and then we pollute it with road dirt. That`s not logical.
I have seen several bikes and cars lose power because of those filters, with a K&N filter a fuelbox is always needed.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Yes, all stock but the commander. for now
using a fuel processor with stock air/pipes is pointless.

Stock intake lets in X amount of air. Stock pipes let out X amount of air. The bike comes programmed for that.

A fuel processor is needed when you change both the intake and outtake. All of a sudden more air is flowing thru there than the bike is programmed for. So you have to tell it a new fuel mixture.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmm food for thought eh. I've been contemplating getting a K & N for my bike to replace the standard filter and to asisst with my modded pipes on V2K. I've have had them in the past on my cars and bikes without issue.

My reasoning has been, OEM tend to be restrictive to limit power to preserve motors to asisst with warrenty endorsments (mainly cars) K & N types improve flow and allow easy cleaning and reuse. OEM single use filters are very costly down here so changing to a reusable unit is cost effective, more so since I tend to keep vehicles for long periods.

My 4litre 2001 Ford Falcon has a K & N fitted, it dropped my highway fuel use from 8.8litres per hundy Km to 7.6L/100Km so a good improvement, no change in power I can perceive, but definately runs alot smoother.

Re my V2K. Not keen on changing to the more open type after market filters due to the amount of wet weather riding I do. My bro set up his guzzi with open type filters, nothing but a pain in the bum in the rain. The bike missed, hiccuped and played up constantly, makes for slow (wet) progress.

The only other issue I see with the standard V2K setup is how much hot air these bikes take in drawing air off the hot cylinders, must reduce grunt/efficiency/gas mileage somewhat?. Thinking how to mitigate this aspect, unless someone knows of a decent setup taking in factors above???

Cheers, Andrew.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Anything that can improve flow through the engine has the potential to be able to increase power. However, I'd wager that they are not using paper elements to reduce power to avoid warranty. Most likely they are using paper elements because they are inexpensive, have a proven track record of effective filtration, and don't require very specific procedures for cleaning and re-oiling like a K&N - something that your non-gearhead consumer has zero interest in doing at all, let alone properly.

Using a K&N filter would expose them to the possibility of more warranry claims because of the variabilities in cleaning and re-oiling.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Anything that can improve flow through the engine has the potential to be able to increase power. However, I'd wager that they are not using paper elements to reduce power to avoid warranty. Most likely they are using paper elements because they are inexpensive, have a proven track record of effective filtration, and don't require very specific procedures for cleaning and re-oiling like a K&N - something that your non-gearhead consumer has zero interest in doing at all, let alone properly.

Using a K&N filter would expose them to the possibility of more warranry claims because of the variabilities in cleaning and re-oiling.
Yep good points. My Honda when I changed out to the K & N had alot more filter surface area compared to the paper thing. The ford looked exactly the same. The one fitted to my Suzie LC1500 was also very similar to the standard filter. Cheers

·
Registered
482 Posts
Actually came on here to ask about power commander, my bike back fires my buddy said it needs to be remapped, I have the vh powershots and thunder air filter. I think it must be set up for performance because its noticibly more powerful than my old 2007 stock vulcan 2000. I, however want to set it up for a median between performance and gas milesge, can any tell what the optimal settings are for that?

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
They pop stock, you just can't hear it with the stock catalytic converter/mufflers.

My 2008 with powershots does the same thing. If I put on a PC, and one day I may, it will be to try to make more power, not get rid of the popping but maybe a side benefit.

As far as the map, I think there is a point at or right around zero throttle where you tweak it a bit to work on that pop. As you likely notice, it only does it when you re-open the throttle after coming off it. Working on that point, just by how I work the throttle I can pretty much not have any popping or make a helluva loud bang.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts