Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had trouble having the crap scared out of you in a hard corner when the floor board starts dragging on the road and pushing your foot up about two inches :eek:? The road home is full of twistys and some of the curves now have silver streaks of aluminum around them :cool:. I observed that on the bottom of the factory floor boards there appears to be a cleat that is held on with two screws toward the back of the board. Has anyone removed these? And if so does it tear up the floor board in a hard lean? Is there any mounting alternatives or after market prods to tweek up or in to eliminate this problem?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Hey, that scraping sound once in awhile just proves you are having FUN :)

·
Registered
319 Posts
scraping

Those so called"cleats" protect he running boards from scraping apart. They are replaceable($15) compared to factory replacing running boards ($225). The only way to fix this is to get another bike. You are just out driving the V2K

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, although the bike is a beast, it feels nimble in the curves with new Metzlers. I have a horror of wearing straight line ridges on these tires that will destroy the handling in the corners. Guess I'll have to scrub them in with a little less vigor. The bikes suspension feels a little soft in the corners but sticks really well for a heavy bike. I don't think that I'm pushing the limits or over dirving the bike other than that infernal scrape. Maybe a set of Gabrial Hijackers like back in the 70's would help! LOL Lesson learned: Don't try to scrub the tires in closer than 1/4 inch of the sidewall.

·
Registered
100 Posts
When you scrape on a straight road from swerving back and forth, THEN you know you're at the limits!! There's a nice new chunk of ashpalt NE of Minot, ND with some of my floor board on it!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Another Manitoba member

I was just reviewing today's posts and saw you were from Brandon, Manitoba. I am from Altona - just nice to know there's another one out here in the flat lands. I bought my Vulcan 2000 this Spring and have not seen another one anywhere, and that's after spending a week in the Black Hills last month and seeing 1000's of bikes.

When you scrape on a straight road from swerving back and forth, THEN you know you're at the limits!! There's a nice new chunk of ashpalt NE of Minot, ND with some of my floor board on it!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
I know of 3 others in SW MB, two of them being owned by dad. Another one is a friend of his. I've never seen them myself, but others have told me that there are a few more here in Brandon.

·
Registered
101 Posts
riding 2up last weekend i took a sharp left turn and scraped the frame just in front of the rear wheel and my chrome cover on my exhaust has some serious road rash on the bottom-guess this bike feels more nimble than it was designed to be -want to ride the tail of the dragon in n.c. but i'm not sure if the v2k is going to make it through all those hairpins-but i still love my beast!!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
riding 2up last weekend i took a sharp left turn and scraped the frame just in front of the rear wheel and my chrome cover on my exhaust has some serious road rash on the bottom-guess this bike feels more nimble than it was designed to be -want to ride the tail of the dragon in n.c. but i'm not sure if the v2k is going to make it through all those hairpins-but i still love my beast!!
I solved the 2-up exhaust pipe scraping by getting rid of the 2-up part. :D

No, not really.... I put on V&H Power Shots for more noise and that fixed the 2-up exhaust scraping too. First time it happened it scared *rap out of me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for Warning !!!

Damn I'm glad I read this, was afraid I would scrap it sooner or later. So far no scraps but its been close. I'm still at the point of feeling a bit intimidated by this beast and it's my second v2k. Guess I've been lucky and I'm really slow around turns knowing it rides close to ground.. At least by reading this and when that day comes I will at least be a bit more ready and not freak out. My nerves are pretty solid but when it comes to floor boards scrapping the rode I;m sure I'll learn to deal with it when I get there if ever!!! Thanks much for the info / warning :eek: :D :cool:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Not to be a naysayer, but I don't think you WILL be ready for it. Even though you have read about it happening, when it does happen to you it will catch you by surprise. The only way to get used to it is to practice practice practice!!!!
:D

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
On my 900, the cleat position is adjustable....move them from the front to the back.....that leaves them on the higher part of the floorboard...they never scrape. Mine came installed wrong from the factory. About half of most peoples nine's are installed "wrong"...but they don't notice. We've hashed this out in the 900 forum a couple of times. The upside is no scraping....downside is no warning.

http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8038

That is a link to one of our discussions regarding the "cleat placement".

http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/108462-scraping-floorboards-every-corner-2.html
Pics are here. (The link is to the "other forum")

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Y'all are making way too much of this situation. It happens and the first time it does you have to change your drawers but then after that you kind of expect it and you only have skid marks in the tidy whities.
It is NOT the bike that won't handle the situation, it is the rider. If it bothers you then slow down a bit on the turns, if it doesn't bother you then try to find the spot where you almost scrape and adjust your riding style to that point. Either way the bike can handle it.

My first time was on a twisty road in East Texas and I nearly crapped myself. Subsequently I began looking for that point and doing it purposely. When you get to the point you can hold a good hard scrape all the way around the corner then you are on the razors edge of the bikes limits. Any further and you become a tripod and things get ugly fast.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
When I get a peg scrape going on, I lean my body further down towards the road.... this raises the frame of the bike a bit by changing the overall center of gravity and relieves the scrape. Body goes down / bike comes up.

If you need it, this allows you to tighten your turn a bit.... and might save you from running off the road someday.

It is a bit counter intuitive....so it is worth practicing even without scraping pegs... so you know what to do if you enter a corner too fast....

Annie

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
When I get a peg scrape going on, I lean my body further down towards the road.... this raises the frame of the bike a bit by changing the overall center of gravity and relieves the scrape. Body goes down / bike comes up.

If you need it, this allows you to tighten your turn a bit.... and might save you from running off the road someday.

It is a bit counter intuitive....so it is worth practicing even without scraping pegs... so you know what to do if you enter a corner too fast....

Annie

Where were you when I was learning to pilot one of these beasts years ago?

I will practice what you said.

BTW, I just noticed your signature says you are a Viet Nam Vet. Thank you and I hope you came back a bit less messed up than I did. Agent Orange gave me a lifelong blessing that I am still dealing with today.
Bien Hoa A.B. 1968 - 1969.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
coolpig... thanks.. :)

I was aboard ship in the Navy off the coast.... we patrolled inside the 13 mile limit and sank Red Chinese trawlers to keep them from landing supplies for the V.C. Did that in '71 and again in '72. Everyone aboard was awarded the service medal twice.....

I am proud of my service, but it was nothing like you guys in actual combat... thank you for your service too and good luck with the agent orange thing...

Annie

Where were you when I was learning to pilot one of these beasts years ago?

I will practice what you said.

BTW, I just noticed your signature says you are a Viet Nam Vet. Thank you and I hope you came back a bit less messed up than I did. Agent Orange gave me a lifelong blessing that I am still dealing with today.
Bien Hoa A.B. 1968 - 1969.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
before I triked my 2000 my boards were scraped so well that they actually had a edge on them. thanks to the blue ridge parkway roads love it. once I found the lean capacities on this beast. The fun started.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts