Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a Harley Davidson Road Glide for a few years now. Last week I bought a used Vulcan 900 Classic LT and the first thing I noticed about it is it feels very light compared to my Road Glide, and even a Softail Custom. My question is how does a bike like the Vulcan 1700 Nomad feel compared to a Vulcan 900 Classic LT? The Vulcan 900 Classic LT looks like a full size cruiser, but I was amazed how light it feels. Does Kawasaki also keep the weight low on the Vulcan 1700 Nomad?

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I notice this when riding my 800 Classic - it feels like a scooter compared to the Nomad 1700. Dry weight for the 800 is 230kg (about 500 lbs) whilst the Nomad is 370kgs (815 lbs). If I ever drop one I hope it is the 800.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The Nomad is very heavy when pushing, getting off kickstand, etc. Basically, doing anything when sitting still. However, once moving it feels very lightweight. It's not quite as nimble as my 900 was, but is still surprisingly agile given it's weight. The biggest difference from the 900 is comfort. When cruising at higher speeds I can really relax instead of fighting wind gusts and vibrations. If only the Nomad could get the same fuel mileage. There are many times I miss the 900, but not when I'm on the highway!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have owned an '01 & '08 HD Ultra Classic and now a '15 Vulcan Voyager and they are all heavy when not moving. I did find that the Voyager was much easier to handle at very low speeds compared to the Ultra Classic. It also handles much better in high winds on the highway and when approaching semi trucks on small two lane highways.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The Nomad is very heavy when pushing, getting off kickstand, etc. Basically, doing anything when sitting still. However, once moving it feels very lightweight. It's not quite as nimble as my 900 was, but is still surprisingly agile given it's weight. The biggest difference from the 900 is comfort. When cruising at higher speeds I can really relax instead of fighting wind gusts and vibrations. If only the Nomad could get the same fuel mileage. There are many times I miss the 900, but not when I'm on the highway!
Bingo,could not have said it any better:smile2:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the info. I now think all big twins feel heavy, and the 900 Classic LT is my favorite cruiser motorcycle. Its 650 lbs, buts feels lighter than my 400 lb KLR 650, and gets the same or better mpg. Even with a full tank of gas it feels lighter than the KLR. Its great for running around town, and the windshield does as good a job keeping wind off your chest and helmet as any full size touring motorcycle I have ridden. I also think the 900 does ok on the highway at speeds around 60 mph. I could tell the 900 is more vulnerable to wind gusts than the HD Road Glide, but I didn't think it was a big deal. The 900 is also a big roomy motorcycle and comfortable for big riders. I hear people say the 900 is a beginners motorcycle, but I don't think its true. 903cc is a descent engine size and I would be more willing to label the Vulcan S a beginners bike, and definitely the Yamaha 250 V-star and Honda 250 Rebel.

·
Registered
323 Posts
IMO, the 900 is not just a beginner's bike. When I had mine I traveled many miles to and through many states. It never faltered. You can run it all day at 75mph without worries. The only reason I sold it and got the Nomad was for the comfort. I enjoy touring and racking up miles and the 900's vibration and suspension (more likely due to the lighter weight of the bike) just got to me on the last 3800 mile trip I went on. Around town the 900 is unbeatable and is one of the times I miss mine, but don't be afraid to take it on long trips, either.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I have owned an '01 & '08 HD Ultra Classic and now a '15 Vulcan Voyager and they are all heavy when not moving. I did find that the Voyager was much easier to handle at very low speeds compared to the Ultra Classic. It also handles much better in high winds on the highway and when approaching semi trucks on small two lane highways.
That is because your Harleys had the batwings. Can't compare them to the Road Glide or Voyager. The new road glide fairing is much more aerodynamic than the Voyager fairing, and both are frame mounted.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Thanks for all the info. I now think all big twins feel heavy, and the 900 Classic LT is my favorite cruiser motorcycle. Its 650 lbs, buts feels lighter than my 400 lb KLR 650, and gets the same or better mpg. Even with a full tank of gas it feels lighter than the KLR. Its great for running around town, and the windshield does as good a job keeping wind off your chest and helmet as any full size touring motorcycle I have ridden. I also think the 900 does ok on the highway at speeds around 60 mph. I could tell the 900 is more vulnerable to wind gusts than the HD Road Glide, but I didn't think it was a big deal. The 900 is also a big roomy motorcycle and comfortable for big riders. I hear people say the 900 is a beginners motorcycle, but I don't think its true. 903cc is a descent engine size and I would be more willing to label the Vulcan S a beginners bike, and definitely the Yamaha 250 V-star and Honda 250 Rebel.
The Vulcan S is a ninja derived engine. It will surprise larger cruiser riders. Especially when the Road gets twisty.
My only two negatives with the 900 lineup is 5 speed, and having to do valve adjustments.

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
The Vulcan S is a ninja derived engine. It will surprise larger cruiser riders. Especially when the Road gets twisty.
My only two negatives with the 900 lineup is 5 speed, and having to do valve adjustments.
Loved my 900 and frequently miss it. Agree on the negatives. On secondary roads, the 9 was hard to beat. But I wanted a little bit lower RPMs at highway speed. That's what drove me to the the Nomad, which I find incredibly comfortable and more nimble than expected. twowheel is making me wonder if my next bike might have a frame mounted fairing... Used to hate the look. But function trumps form in many cases, and the look gets better as you get used to it.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Loved my 900 and frequently miss it. Agree on the negatives. On secondary roads, the 9 was hard to beat. But I wanted a little bit lower RPMs at highway speed. That's what drove me to the the Nomad, which I find incredibly comfortable and more nimble than expected. twowheel is making me wonder if my next bike might have a frame mounted fairing... Used to hate the look. But function trumps form in many cases, and the look gets better as you get used to it.
A buddy and I were riding across south MO with a strong cross wind. I on the Voyager, and him on a Royal Star Venture. When we stopped he exclaimed that my bike tracked straight and true down the Road, and he was being blown all over the Road. Once you have ridden a fixed fairing bike in a wind, you won't go to a fork mounted. I considered Indian and victory, but neither offered a frame mounted fairing bike that I was willing to buy..

·
Registered
6 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the Ultra Classic like the Street Glide has the fairing attached to the front forks and not the frame. That is why the Voyager/Vaquero and for that matter Road Glide/RG Ultra handle wind buffeting so much better, the entire bike absorbs it through the frame not just the handlebars/forks.

·
Registered
490 Posts
If I am not mistaken, the Ultra Classic like the Street Glide has the fairing attached to the front forks and not the frame. That is why the Voyager/Vaquero and for that matter Road Glide/RG Ultra handle wind buffeting so much better, the entire bike absorbs it through the frame not just the handlebars/forks.
Bingo!

I have had my VN800B since 2010, and put over 10k miles on it in that time. This year I wanted to go bigger for more highway comfort, and I wanted a fairing, radio, and cruise control for grins. I test rode the HD Street Glide, which I liked a lot, then a Road Glide, which I hated. The shark nose is too aerodynamic I guess, and I got a ton of wind in my face. I also hated the steering - it seemed so heavy, especially at low speeds!

Then I looked at the Vaquero. The steering felt lighter than the Road Glide, but the aerodynamics of it presented more like the Street Glide. Given the price difference (read: spousal unit's approval), I went with the Vaquero, although sometime in the future I hope to get a Street Glide. The more I ride the Vaquero, though, the more I like it. Comfortable on the highway, handles great through twisties, only slightly ponderous in low-speed situations.

-John

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Bingo!

I have had my VN800B since 2010, and put over 10k miles on it in that time. This year I wanted to go bigger for more highway comfort, and I wanted a fairing, radio, and cruise control for grins. I test rode the HD Street Glide, which I liked a lot, then a Road Glide, which I hated. The shark nose is too aerodynamic I guess, and I got a ton of wind in my face. I also hated the steering - it seemed so heavy, especially at low speeds!

Then I looked at the Vaquero. The steering felt lighter than the Road Glide, but the aerodynamics of it presented more like the Street Glide. Given the price difference (read: spousal unit's approval), I went with the Vaquero, although sometime in the future I hope to get a Street Glide. The more I ride the Vaquero, though, the more I like it. Comfortable on the highway, handles great through twisties, only slightly ponderous in low-speed situations.

-John
You probably had all the vents open on the Road glide, and if it was a standard road glide, it had the tiny shield like the vaquero. Definitely nice during the summer.

The Road glide ultra is twin cooled, has lowers, and larger shield.

The steering should have felt lighter than a street glide. Makes me wonder if the front tire air pressure was correct.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
What John said..

Bingo!

-John
I too bought a new old stock, 2015 vaquero right after I bought the 2016 Vulcan S Café`. I Had Antoinette's blessing on the first one, she was a little less enthusiastic about the Vaquero. She wasn't really that interested in how much money I saved. More concerned that I was having a "old timers moment" After 40 plus years of work, here's to "old timers moments"

Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
490 Posts
You probably had all the vents open on the Road glide, and if it was a standard road glide, it had the tiny shield like the vaquero. Definitely nice during the summer.

The Road glide ultra is twin cooled, has lowers, and larger shield.

The steering should have felt lighter than a street glide. Makes me wonder if the front tire air pressure was correct.
I played with all the vent settings ... just didn't like it.

I agree, however, with the tire pressure question. I never asked. After I rode the Vaquero a couple of days later, I was sold! Still want a Street Glide some day, though :D

-John

·
Registered
490 Posts
I too bought a new old stock, 2015 vaquero right after I bought the 2016 Vulcan S Café`. I Had Antoinette's blessing on the first one, she was a little less enthusiastic about the Vaquero. She wasn't really that interested in how much money I saved. More concerned that I was having a "old timers moment" After 40 plus years of work, here's to "old timers moments"

Enjoy your new ride.
Thanks - 3.5 months and 3,900 miles later, I'm really enjoying it.

With colder weather settling in, I've found that the klockwerks 12" recurve windscreen, highway pegs, lower covers, balaclava, and heated gloves make all the difference. Very enjoyable ride on my 60-mile round trip commute.

Side benefit: Being a 2016, it's pearl white, and with the aux. driving lights I installed (Kawi kit), most people just see a big white bike with 3 headlights and assume I'm a cop. Cops wave, others get out of the way :D

-John

1 - 17 of 17 Posts