Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! I'm new here. I don't have a Kawasaki yet, but I'm seriously considering one. I've been a long time Yamaha rider, and just recently parted ways with a beautiful 2006 V-Star 1100 Custom, thanks to some unidentified cager who ran me off the road two weeks ago.

In searching for a replacement, I decided that I wanted to upgrade a larger bike that was better built/equipped for touring. I rode my V-Star on several long trips, but my wife never cared for very much distance on the back seat. In researching my next bike, I am strongly looking at the Vulcan 1700 Voyager ABS. I'd like to hear anything that you all have to say about why I should (or should not) buy this specific bike.

Also, I've checked the regional inventory, and I have both the 2014 and 205 model reasonable close to me. I'm planning to make a trip to the dealership with the 2014 in stock tomorrow. But, aside from what the salesmen are going to tell me, am I missing something in the spec sheets, or are the 14 and 15 models the same? The 14 will save me some cash, so if it is essentially the same bike, I think that's the one that I would get--unless you all can convince me that the 15 is any better.

Thanks in advance for any guidance you all can provide and any help that you will give.

Red

·
Registered
894 Posts
Having gone to the Voyager myself after an "unidentified cager" ran me and my Honda Sabre 1100 off the road in 2011, I can tell you that you will be happy.

I believe that the 2015 model adds an O2 sensor in the exhaust - other than that I think they are identical except for color and price . . . this may hold true up to a 2012 when they added the KAMS system to the Voyager.

You can research all years here: http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/motorcycles/2015/2015-Kawasaki-Vulcan-1700-Voyager-ABS.htm

You will find on this forum and others people bitching about little things on these bikes, while you will find others (like me) praising them . . . the fact of the matter is - it is the best bang you can get for the $$. My Voyager has 34,000 miles on her . . . I have two quick 1,000 mile weeks coming up before heading out on an 8,000 mile journey on her . . . I can't wait . . . But then again even if I just had a 20 mile ride to the barber coming up, I can't wait for that either . . .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Napom, and for the link. That was one of the many articles that I had already read while researching this ride. I'm pretty sure that you are right and that the past few years are nearly identical. The last significant change I could find was the addition of the KAMS system that you mentioned. Even in the official "press releases" from Kawasaki about both the 14 and 15 model years, I really couldn't find any noteworthy changes.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Press/Release/2014-Vulcan-1700-Voyager-ABS
http://www.kawasaki.com/Press/Release/2015-Vulcan-1700-Voyager-ABS

I see you are a Blue Knight and from the Manassas area. Have you ever joined the ODMP ride there in May? I've been down for all 4 years so far. Great ride for a great cause. Hell, I even won the poker run this year!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Our Chapter has been to all of the ODMP rides in Haymarket . . . Unfortunately for me, the rides always seem to happen when the Air Force sends me away for my Reserve Duty, so I have missed them. I retire fromt he Reserves next year so I should be able to make it.

·
Registered
580 Posts
It is a very comfortable touring machine. Some people complain about the heat coming of the right side in slow/stop and go traffic, but I don't really see it as being much of an issue. You have to remember you're pretty much sitting right on top of a 1700 CC engine. It's just one of the consequences of running a bike with a full fairing and lowers.....not much wind gets to the engine......get one....ride one....enjoy :D

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Have enjoyed all 32k miles on my 12 ABS model. Other than the adding of the O2 sensor, dont know of any changes. If you plan to stay stock, the 15 may be a better choice because of the sensor, but if you plan to mod it and add a fuel controller, the 14 may be better. Other than that, does one color combo really grab you? How good a deal can you get on the 14 compared to the 15?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
851 Posts
One thing I can say about moving up to the Kawasaki from the Vstar 1100 is you don't have the hassle of removing the Exhaust to change the oil filter. Unless you've spent the money for a oil filter re-locator kit. I just road my buddies 03 Vstar 1100 just the other day and trust me...you'll be a lot happier with the Voyager. The Voyager is a lot heavier but worth every pound!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I recently bought a used 2012 with 27k miles.

As Napon put it...it is the best bang for your buck...and he is correct.

I am keeping mine stock as the stereo volume is more important to me than the volume of the bike...LOL

The only issues I have found are all correctable either by fixing yourself with a little help from the forum or the dealer can make adjustments if/when you bring it in for service.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
My only negative with the Voyager is the front suspension. Kawasaki wants you to run low air pressure in the front tire to compensate for this shortcoming, but then you will wear out tires pretty fast. I had my forks rebuilt by Traxxion Dynamics and it is a major improvement. Now I can run proper air pressure in the front tire.

If the '14 you are looking at is the red one, go for it. Second best color behind my '10 red one.

Reactions: archer2
1 - 10 of 10 Posts