Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello group.
New member here, long time rider, current 900 owner.
I just bought a 2009 Vulcan 1700 classic LT.
Haven't ridden it yet, no test drive, it's cold here.
I had it delivered, it's a one owner with 5,300 miles on it.
I know and trust the dealer and have all the paperwork on the bike from new, I trust the low miles and service on the bike.
It's in very good condition.
It does't start as well as my 900, sometimes it will start and die.
I assume some new fuel and maybe some fuel treatment will clear that up.
It sat for two years in the original owners garage, then he traded it in for a trike.
It's been at the dealer for a year before I got it.
Moving it around in the garage, when I shift into 1st the bike will surge forward a few inches.
I feel like I want to ease the tension or position of the release area on the clutch to clear that up.
I've always had cable clutch bikes before the Vulcan.
The clutch release happens closer/sooner than I'd like, there doesn't appear to be a lot of adjustment other than changing lever release position.
Is there something else I should look into with this?
Thanks for any advice you may have.
Rob

·
Registered
360 Posts
Moving it around in the garage, when I shift into 1st the bike will surge forward a few inches.
This is completely normal and you'll find it behaves that way any time you haven't ridden it for a few days. Pulling the clutch in and out several times while running before putting it in gear will help alleviate this.

The clutch release happens closer/sooner than I'd like, there doesn't appear to be a lot of adjustment other than changing lever release position.
Adjusting lever position is your only option.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info VulcanDrifter.
I hoped that it might just be a lack of use.
I'll be working on that as soon as spring gets here.

Rob

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yes, it is normal. If you haven't already, make sure and change the oil and run some Seafoam through it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks DaPreacha,
The dealer changed the oil before he delivered the bike.
I will put some seafoam through it as soon as I can ride it.

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
One of the MOST ignored maintenance items on vehicles is the flushing and bleeding of the hydraulic systems, brake and clutch. I would perform this on the skoot as needed maintenance and monitor clutch action as you get miles on it. Adjusting the lever will alter where in the lever travel engagement/disengagement occurs. The further out the lever is the further out in the lever travel is where you will have the friction zone.
RACNRAY

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RACNRAY,
I figure I'll get a tank of gas through it with some Seafoam, then get the bike in to my mechanic to give it a go over.
I want to move the release point out a bit, I have big hands and if feels too close to me.
Did the same on my 900, that was a simple cable adjustment and something I'm familiar with.
This is my first bike with the hydraulic clutch, hence the questions I had.
The answers here have been helpful.
I ran the bike in the garage to warm it up, then pulled the clutch a few times before shifting.
That resolved the issue of the bike lurching a bit when I shifted.
It still shifted with a clunk, but didn't try to move.
I understand from reading here and there that the Vulcans do shift a bit hard.
Rob

·
Premium Member
1,698 Posts
YEP....that's one thing I dn't miss is the clunky shifting. For the past 3 1/2+ years and 66,000+ miles on my Indian it shifts so much better than my Vaq ever did. Most skoots lurch when dropped into first gear, that is where the Indian is similar to the 1700's tho not quite as bad..

·
Registered
754 Posts
Pull the clutch in for a time while it warms up, and it'll snick into first as easily and quietly as any other smooth shifting bike you've ever owned.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
YEP....that's one thing I dn't miss is the clunky shifting. For the past 3 1/2+ years and 66,000+ miles on my Indian it shifts so much better than my Vaq ever did. Most skoots lurch when dropped into first gear, that is where the Indian is similar to the 1700's tho not quite as bad..
Yes, I got used to the clunk shifting the 900.
But the surge when I shifted the 1700 was a little off putting.
That's resolved now and I'm looking forward to getting used to 1700 when it warms up.
Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Pull the clutch in for a time while it warms up, and it'll snick into first as easily and quietly as any other smooth shifting bike you've ever owned.
Thanks, I'll try that also.
I'm sure once I can get a few miles on the bike it'll all smooth out.
Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts