Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If things work out and I get my rockcrawler sold I'll be looking hard at several bikes the 1st ones being the Vulcan 1600 classic or Mean Streak. For those that have them, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? The 900 isn't giving me any problems, plenty of power for the riding I do, but I'm one of those guys, if I can get a more powerful vehicle I will, but with gas at $4/gal here I gotta keep an eye on mpg as well.

·
Registered
44 Posts
When i bought mine they told me around 34/36 mpg. i dont know how true it is though cause i really do not pay attention to it.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer told me the same thing. I've only put just over 100 miles on mine so far and am getting about 40mpg, but I'm driving fairly conservative during the break in period.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I asked the same question on another Kawasaki forum, and got responses ranging from
"35 when I dog the snot out of it" to 47 average on a 1600 mile trip. I believe it's gonna be more about how you ride than what you ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If things work out and I get my rockcrawler sold I'll be looking hard at several bikes the 1st ones being the Vulcan 1600 classic or Mean Streak. For those that have them, what kind of gas mileage are you getting? The 900 isn't giving me any problems, plenty of power for the riding I do, but I'm one of those guys, if I can get a more powerful vehicle I will, but with gas at $4/gal here I gotta keep an eye on mpg as well.
My bone-stock 2006 1600 Classic gave me around 35mpg during the throttle varying break in. After the first 600 miles or so I have been getting 45 to 48 mpg in the mountains of Colorado riding solo and moderately on the muscle.

·
Registered
10 Posts
08 1600 classic mpg

Only have 900 miles on mine before winter set in. Looks like 39 on the highway so far. Have been takeing it easy for the 600 miles and now to the 1000 mile break in. Run 65-70 and got the 39 mpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Premium?

Do all you guys run premium in your 1600's ? I have so far but have one station near me that doesn't carry it. Only slight drawback i have with the bike. Not a big thing but just wondered. thanks

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
91 in mine most of the time. Most of the stations around here have it. The only time I had problems finding it was on a trip to NW Iowa.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mean steak is see you also have a 900. I test road one the dealer was useing for a demo and that one i really liked until i hit highway speed and it had a vibration at 60 mph. I told him i was all set to trade for it but that killed the deal for me. He said he noticed that also but was a great bike to just cruise at lower speeds. Told him i spent most of my time on two lane back roads at 60-70 mph. Is why i went with the 1600 clasic. My 750 Vulcan was smooth and the 1600 doesn't have a vibration in the bars at all. One dealer told me all v-twins had that vibration. Left him quick. Was told some 900 do and some don't. Any input from your end. Really wanted the 900 for the size.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nothing but Premium

Deano I have a 2006 1600 classic and Kawasaki says nothing but 90 octane minimum. Also has a decal at the gas cap stating so. I have never tried anything but premium so I cant say what would happen (knocking) with regular or mid-grade. The decal on the tank states that severe engine damage can result if 90 octane or bette is not used. Pays your money and takes chances, the few cents more is not a problem with me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 03 Vulcan 1600 and I only run premium in mine but it's how I get the best output from my bike. I have the Power Commander III usb installed along with K&N filter and the Vance Hines Bogshots. I generally get about 39-41 mpg and I am pretty steady with the throttle averaging about 70-75 mph.

·
Registered
20 Posts
My bone-stock 2006 1600 Classic gave me around 35mpg during the throttle varying break in. After the first 600 miles or so I have been getting 45 to 48 mpg in the mountains of Colorado riding solo and moderately on the muscle.

Your really getting 45 to 48 mpg wow, i have a 1600 classic stock right now until this spring hehe, that i was only getting max 38mpg i live in upstate NY

·
Registered
49 Posts
Mpg

Me too my 2006 1600 Classic is bone stock as far as the engine is concerned and I consistantly get 44 to 48 mpg with every tank full. I am very easy on the throttle and am just a cruiser not a racer. griffy

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an '08 Nomad with a hair under 1000 miles on it. Just checked my mileage for the first time yesterday. After a couple of days of cruising between 60-80 mph, I got about 37 mpg.

Our choices here are 87, 89 and 93 octane. I've been alternating between the 89 and 93 octane. I've had some minor knocking with the 89 so I might just stay with the 93.

Hate to spend the $$, but then again since I spent almost $11K on the bike, there's no sense chiselling on the fuel to keep it running.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an '06 Mean Streak and got 37 -42 stock, 28 - 40 with a k&n in the box and hard chrome 3" straights, 38 -46 with the k&n and hard chrome sideburners, and finally, 34 - 40 with the sideburners and a right side caddman kit with a pc111. With all that it still fluctuated a lot depending on driving conditions and how much testosterone got stuck in my right hand. Over-all GREAT bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2008 Nomad 1600 Mileage

Actually, I track my mileage very closely through an Excel app on my phone. I average 33.56 MPG with a min of 29.03 (parade and around town only) and a max of 39.8 (highway trip from station to station). I am the original owner and have just over 5k miles on the clock. I always use premium gas (Chevron/Texaco) and I am a conservative rider. Most of my riding is around town, but I make several highway trips with the Patriot Guard. I was expecting better mileage and have tried to alter my riding style to maximize my fuel economy, but my habits have little impact on my mileage. It seems the greatest factor remains with traffic patterns, distance, and stopping frequency.

I will share the spreadsheet if anyone would like a copy of the Excel app for WM6 (xlsx format), send request to: [email protected]

1 - 20 of 60 Posts