Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a 2006 Vulcan 1600 Classic. I was curious about the front brakes, specifically if the front calipers from a Vulcan 2000 will work. If not, are there any 4 piston calipers that bolt on?

I previously rode a V-Star 650 and an R6 four piston caliper would bolt right on and made a dramatic difference in brake feel. The VN1600 brakes certainly aren't bad, but there is always room for improvement.

Thanks!

·
Registered
181 Posts
I guess there might always room for improvement but since our bikes are not equipped with anti-lock brakes my question would be to what purpose.

I'm a big guy, always ride 2 up so that's almost an additional 400 lbs, and on the rare occasion I've had to grab a handful of front brakes I can easily lock it up. Adding more in my opinion does not err on the side of caution. I would ride the bike for a while, maybe try different pad compounds and see before making wholesale changes.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The question is not so much a matter of increased braking power as it is a matter of improved brake feel. I have always found it much easier to modulate a firm pedal, or lever than a spongy one.

Of course I am sure that the pads on the bike now are some OE compound which leaves much room for improvement. The fluid is probably also due for changing, and a set of braided lines would go a long way as well. This is all well and good but if I'm going through that much trouble and I can get a set of four piston calipers for say, $100, why would I not?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have an 08 Nomad with braided lines, EBC HH pads and radial tires. Have gone 70-0 in about 160' with my wife and I on the bike. I think that is good enough.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I met a gentleman with a Vulcan 1600 the other day, I believe he said it was a mean streak, it had slightly different forks from the factory with 4 piston radial mounted calipers and floating pistons. So obviously at some point Kawasaki didn't think this would be "excessive."

Everybody is most certainly entitled to an opinion, and I appreciate the feedback, but many many times with a motorcycle the need is irrelevant, the want is the dominant factor.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I guess there might always room for improvement but since our bikes are not equipped with anti-lock brakes my question would be to what purpose.

I'm a big guy, always ride 2 up so that's almost an additional 400 lbs, and on the rare occasion I've had to grab a handful of front brakes I can easily lock it up. Adding more in my opinion does not err on the side of caution. I would ride the bike for a while, maybe try different pad compounds and see before making wholesale changes.
I enjoy a 05 1600 nomad and at first front brakes felt wonky but after a while I myself use gears downshifting as BIG aid and both front and back to..use all ya got,but better brakes never a bad thing.good luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts