Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI Guys i have a 2000 vulcan 1500 with a dual stator motor, i bought a 1500 vulcan motor with a single stator to put in it,I didnt realize the differences at the time, noticed the new motor is a single stator engine with a differnt shifter stem,what should i do, can i put the stuff from the old motor to the new motor or what? any help is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Several questions as the only single stator E series engine is a 1998 model. First issue is this engine has the plastic oil gear, unless it has been changed. I would not be installing a replacement engine with this gear unless it has been replaced. If your shifter stem is different, I am suspicious you may have an A, or D series motor, which are 4 speed. If this is the case, that series will not fit your frame. Let me know if you do in fact have an E series engine and I will help you thru the options for installing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi , the motor is a 5 speed motor and it is single stator, not sure what to do , i dont know what year the motor is just going by what they told me not sure how to decode the engine number

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Appears you have a 1998 E-1 series engine. Let's be sure, the engine you have IS NOT fuel injected, right?

Do you still have the original engine?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i do have the original, there was no fuel system on it i bolted the old carb on it. is tghis bad now im worried about the POG

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Since the engine is out that is half the work, but it does require splitting the case. In other words a complete disassembly. I would hate to see you go to the time and expense of installing this engine only to have an oil pump failure. There is a quick fix, called the Judges Oil Gear, but I would only recommend it if the engine was in the bike and the oil gear failed. It can be installed without splitting the case. In any event you should remove the clutch cover and look to see if it has been changed or the condition of the gear. It can be seen without removing the clutch basket.

Also, if you installed your carb intake manifold, this is a carb engine, as a fuel injection manifold will not bolt to the carb heads.

I suppose I should also ask, what is wrong with your original engine?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The engine is back in the bike already, i can take the clutch cover off and check it out, but im def not splitting the case. This thing will go back to where it was bought , they sold it as a 2000. The original engine pops out of 2nd and 3rd gears all the time.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
You may have been better off fixing your engine. I just replaced a transmission in an 04 and it is not that difficult.

Since it is a single stator there is no question that it is not a '2000 model engine. Check for the POG, or a JOG that has been installed and you can decide which way you want to go from there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well thanks for the advice. Its actually not even my bike its a friends im doing the work for but its just becoming a hassle at this point. If i take off the clutch cover can i see the gear?

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
Yes, it is driven off the gear on the back of the clutch basket. It is a thin approx. 3" diameter gear. You will only be able to see the edge of it so turn the clutch basket to inspect all of the teeth.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i found out its a motor from a 98, they gave me wrong info on the receipt, motor fits in fine and my friend is gonna go with this engine and work something out with who sold it to him.

·
Premium Member
1,526 Posts
As I suspected a '98, first year 5 speed, single stator.
Engine will fit ok, just a few small differences. As for it having one stator, you can just plug into one of the rectifiers and keep the other as a spare. Electrical system will not be able to handle as many add ons as a dual stator, but otherwise should not be a problem.

Does it have the POG?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i havent check the gear yet but the guy he bought the motor from is familar with the gear situation and said they can work out something and change it for him if he needs it, im gonna check now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts