Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a ‘03 Kawasaki VN1500 Classic to get back to riding after a long hiatus ( 15 years)
Love the bike as it was a one owner and well maintained.
The only part that needs replacing in my opinion is the factory windscreen, which is cloudy and scratched up and after trying unsuccessfully a few techniques to “clean” and polish it I finally decided that I needed a new windshield.
I’m liking the “bagger “ style and see more modifications in the future so my question is if it were your bike would you drop the money for a new windshield with factory chrome trim or take a chance and go for a fairing with stereo cutouts which more than likely I would be buying off EBay and it may not fit or require serious modifications?
The cost between the two is a couple of hundred more for the no frills fairing.
I’m concerned that I may be biting off more than I can chew and still be without wind protection
Thoughts?

·
Registered
2020 Vulcan Voyager
387 Posts
Welcome from Kennesaw GA!

Personally, I love having a full fairing.

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
1,133 Posts
Welcome from Pennsylvania and thanks for joining us. I don't have an opinion to offer just wanted to say hello!

·
Super Moderator
1,049 Posts
Welcome from Atlantic Canada. You picked a great bike. As for your question, I would try to find a batwing if it were mine. I have a Nomad with the factory windshield and while it's ok, if I had to change it I think I'd go for the batwing. They offer more wind protection and if you want to add a stereo you can tuck it out of the way. As for which one will fit, I can't help there but I'm sure someone here has put one on theirs and may have some suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
4,789 Posts
Hi Dbvalentine. Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Congratulations on your new ride and welcome back to the world of motorcycling. We missed ya! Guess you have to ask yourself how long am I going to have this bike. You might want to upgrade into newer or bigger down the road as you get accustomed to riding again. Also have to consider the monetary investment. Rarely do you get back any substantial dollars from upgrades and modifications upon sale of the bike. There are replacement windshields available from National Cycle and some other companies. No need to buy the expensive chrome.
I would be embarrassed to say the amount of times put tons of money into a bike to make it what I wanted, only to turn around and sell it when the urge for a different bike surfaced.
Here is a link to download the factory repair manual so you can become familiar with your new bike.
Thanks again for becoming a member of the forum. Be well and Ride Safely.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts