Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice so far I was riding friend's Vulcan 2000 cruiser and I was so impressed... I have 3 bikes at the moment, 1997 Honda Shadow 750 ACE, 2004 Suzuki SV 1000 S and 1987 BMW R80 (disassembled at the moment for a frame paintjob), and I'm close to replace them all (well, maybe not the 750 ACE, I'm emotionally attached to that one :D ) with one big cruiser.

Everything is in consideration, all big Japanese cruisers.

I like classic style, so my favourites are classic bikes, with deep classic fenders, but not exclusively.

I'm interested in:
Vulcan 1600
Vulcan 1700
Vulcan 2000
and
1500 and 1600 Mean Streak

Are there some known issues, frequent, common malfunctions related to that bikes? You know, like V-star 1100 starter clutch, or Vulcan 900 generator coil?

What are the highest known mileages that those bikes have been ridden without serious engine overhaul or replacement?

·
Super Moderator
5,492 Posts
All have different reliability histories depending on maintenance and how they are ridden. If I was going to get one, would go with any model that has the 1700 engine. Proven power plant that is still in production. Good parts and accessory availability.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All have different reliability histories depending on maintenance and how they are ridden. If I was going to get one, would go with any model that has the 1700 engine. Proven power plant that is still in production. Good parts and accessory availability.
Well, if that's basically the same engine all the time from 2009. that proves your point. That is always a sign of reliability (engines that have big deficiencies usually have much shorter production timeline).

But I'm still interested in 1600 Classic and Mean Streak 1500/1600. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The most powerful beast among the Kawasaki big cruisers, Vulcan 2000, is kind of scary to me. I'm afraid that it's torque must tear something much faster than on any other bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Twice so far I was riding friend's Vulcan 2000 cruiser and I was so impressed... I have 3 bikes at the moment, 1997 Honda Shadow 750 ACE, 2004 Suzuki SV 1000 S and 1987 BMW R80 (disassembled at the moment for a frame paintjob), and I'm close to replace them all (well, maybe not the 750 ACE, I'm emotionally attached to that one :D ) with one big cruiser.

Everything is in consideration, all big Japanese cruisers.

I like classic style, so my favourites are classic bikes, with deep classic fenders, but not exclusively.

I'm interested in:
Vulcan 1600
Vulcan 1700
Vulcan 2000
and
1500 and 1600 Mean Streak

Are there some known issues, frequent, common malfunctions related to that bikes? You know, like V-star 1100 starter clutch, or Vulcan 900 generator coil?

What are the highest known mileages that those bikes have been ridden without serious engine overhaul or replacement?
I favor 'baggers', so I have an '08 VN2000 LT and an '06 1600 Nomad. IMO, they are both reliable and good looking bikes.
The Nomad is a calm, easy shifting ride for short trips and around town driving. Shifting is smooth and it has a moderate amount of torque for passing and freeway riding. Easy to maneuver.
The 2K LT is a beast in fancy clothing. The torque and intensity makes it a great road bike, and a great bike for long trips. I've gone cross country twice and on numerous state to state overnight trips. Both bikes are getting 35-38 MPG depending on your style of riding. The 2K has never let me down with the exception of a broken clutch cable. Other than that, I've not put any money into it except tires (they all eat rear tires), oil and tune ups. There's nothing like the torque and throttle response when you downshift and hit the throttle to pass someone on the highway. Someone once asked me to compare the bike to a person. My response was, it reminds me of this good looking, 'big' girl I knew in high school. Fun to hang with and always friendly as long as you didn't get on her bad side. If you pissed her of she'd kick your ass! Being a big bike (about 800 lbs.), it likes to go in a straight line. So it's not a great bike if your mountain riding in the twisties. I can scare the crap out of you in some cornering. I always ride it with a little bit of fear, but that's what makes it fun!

·
Registered
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1500
94 Posts
With regard to the Meanies, they have a known issue with cam chain tensioners reaching max limit and eventually the cam chain will wear into the spark plug tubes.. the remedy are cam chain tensioner extenders

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I favor 'baggers', so I have an '08 VN2000 LT and an '06 1600 Nomad. IMO, they are both reliable and good looking bikes.
The Nomad is a calm, easy shifting ride for short trips and around town driving. Shifting is smooth and it has a moderate amount of torque for passing and freeway riding. Easy to maneuver.
The 2K LT is a beast in fancy clothing. The torque and intensity makes it a great road bike, and a great bike for long trips. I've gone cross country twice and on numerous state to state overnight trips. Both bikes are getting 35-38 MPG depending on your style of riding. The 2K has never let me down with the exception of a broken clutch cable. Other than that, I've not put any money into it except tires (they all eat rear tires), oil and tune ups. There's nothing like the torque and throttle response when you downshift and hit the throttle to pass someone on the highway. Someone once asked me to compare the bike to a person. My response was, it reminds me of this good looking, 'big' girl I knew in high school. Fun to hang with and always friendly as long as you didn't get on her bad side. If you pissed her of she'd kick your ass! Being a big bike (about 800 lbs.), it likes to go in a straight line. So it's not a great bike if your mountain riding in the twisties. I can scare the crap out of you in some cornering. I always ride it with a little bit of fear, but that's what makes it fun!
The big one isn't so scary to me, but I was always thinking about right moment to twist a throttle, as well as right amount of that twist. 😀
How many miles your 2000 has passed so far?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With regard to the Meanies, they have a known issue with cam chain tensioners reaching max limit and eventually the cam chain will wear into the spark plug tubes.. the remedy are cam chain tensioner extenders
Good to know. My other friend has 1500 Mean Streak, I must ask him if he knows about it.
But that's happening on high mileages, i hope?

·
Registered
2003 Kawasaki Vulcan Mean Streak 1500
94 Posts
Yes its generally an issue at higher mileage.. I did the procedure on mine and they both were almost at fully extended. The rear cylinder had 2 clicks left and the front was extended to the max.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes its generally an issue at higher mileage.. I did the procedure on mine and they both were almost at fully extended. The rear cylinder had 2 clicks left and the front was extended to the max.
At what mileage was yours when you did it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts