Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new rider who purchased a new bike last month. It is a new 09 Vulcan Classic that is beautiful and fun. However, at about 60 MPH (on the speedo), the bike begins to vibrate. The faster the speed, the more vibration. The vibration is directly related to speed and not engine RPM. I requested assistance from my dealership's service department but, after having the bike 3 days for a four hour service, they didn't address the problem and I'm afraid to take my bike back. Is this normal? This bike would be so much better if my hands, feet and nether regions weren't numb when I cruise at highway speeds for a few minutes.:eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am a new rider who purchased a new bike last month. It is a new 09 Vulcan Classic that is beautiful and fun. However, at about 60 MPH (on the speedo), the bike begins to vibrate. The faster the speed, the more vibration. The vibration is directly related to speed and not engine RPM. I requested assistance from my dealership's service department but, after having the bike 3 days for a four hour service, they didn't address the problem and I'm afraid to take my bike back. Is this normal? This bike would be so much better if my hands, feet and nether regions weren't numb when I cruise at highway speeds for a few minutes.:eek:

Not normal...Sounds to me it's in the motor or drive train. Take it to an second dealer for a 2nd opinion. No vibration at all on mine...only a buzz sound above 70, or until I install my scootworks pulley. ;)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Have the same buzzing in my going to dealer is a lost cause will tell you its normal have been to 4 dealers with this problem all say normal. Have done a lot of research on this come to think inside there is a balancer that may be the problem but a dealer is not going to tear open the engine to check. also have loosed all engine mounts and reset them to no help. Just have come to live with it i guess have 2 more years to pay on it and it gone. Dont get me wrong love the bike. But maybe next time around need more power for those highway rides that 1700 kaw. is really looking like that way to go.

·
Registered
976 Posts
If it waits till your doing 60mph before it vibrates and thats in ANY gear (60 in 3rd is no problem, 2nd a little close to the rev limiter) you're not talking engine you're talking wheels out of balance or out of true. Get each wheel up, rig a stand and indicator and rotate the wheels. By indicator what you need is a pointer that doesn't move and points to the rim of the wheel. When slowly spinning the rim shouldn't move away or closer to nor up and down from the point. If it does the rim is out of true and needs to be laced. I would think that would show up earlier in operation. Out of balance wheels will come into and out of resonance with speed and it is not un-common to feel minor balance issues till higher speeds. If you're dealer won't take a look at whether your wheels are balanced you can buy Dyna Beads OR Counter Act beads and install them in your tires. They will balance your wheels and should eliminate any speed related vibration.
If you had a drive train/engine related vibration you should be able to recreate that at lower speeds in different gears as it will be RPM related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it waits till your doing 60mph before it vibrates and thats in ANY gear (60 in 3rd is no problem, 2nd a little close to the rev limiter) you're not talking engine you're talking wheels out of balance or out of true. Get each wheel up, rig a stand and indicator and rotate the wheels. By indicator what you need is a pointer that doesn't move and points to the rim of the wheel. When slowly spinning the rim shouldn't move away or closer to nor up and down from the point. If it does the rim is out of true and needs to be laced. I would think that would show up earlier in operation. Out of balance wheels will come into and out of resonance with speed and it is not un-common to feel minor balance issues till higher speeds. If you're dealer won't take a look at whether your wheels are balanced you can buy Dyna Beads OR Counter Act beads and install them in your tires. They will balance your wheels and should eliminate any speed related vibration.
If you had a drive train/engine related vibration you should be able to recreate that at lower speeds in different gears as it will be RPM related.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you had a drive train/engine related vibration you should be able to recreate that at lower speeds in different gears as it will be RPM related.[/QUOTE]

Hello folks, I'm new to the forum but I hope you'll help me if you can...
I recently purchased a VN900 Classic, 3 years old with 2700 miles on the clock..riding it home I noticed this vibration in each gear before I changed up and then in 5th at about 70mph... I have to say the vibration was pretty harsh, it even gave me blurred vision untill I slowed down a bit..! I've been told it's normal and not to worry about but I'm not so sure.
Anyone got any advice on this or how to fix it?

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The motor smooths out as it breaks in however I never really thought it was that bad. I've had blurred vision before but it was from the lack of lowers on the bike and the resultant airflow was grabbing my helmet and slamming it around. Lowers took care of that. The motor will smooth out somewhere around 7500-10000 miles.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks for your reply MrClean.. I've been tryin to put my mind at rest on this issue and not to think I've spent my hard earned on a bike thats got a manufacturing problem... I'll bear with it and observe how the engine performs as it broken in further... on a positive note, the vibrations do help me keep my speed down when carrying my girlfriend.., she's only recently decided to ride pillion and I'm keen not to terrify her. :D

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Well, sorta.

I still experience some vibration at higher rpms and i now have over 10k on the clock. You have to remember this is a V-twin, not a 4-cylinder. Some vibration is inherent in that design. We'll just have to face it, they aren't puuurrrrrrfectly smooth, sophisticated bikes and, personally, i like them for that.

But enough engine vibration to blur your vision? That does seem harsh... and unusual.

In the case of the originator of the thread, however, i'm inclined to agree with MrClean... this appears to be a tire/wheel issue and isn't normal vibration.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have noticed that, in 5th gear at higher speeds, the RPMs are higher than I run in any other gear. So, my analysis might not be correct. Being a new machine, I am hesitant to rev the engine more than necessary for preservation of the engine. Based on the previous postings, I ran the RPMs up a little in a lower gear and noticed the vibration, though not as bad. Then again, the RPMs might not have been as high as 70 in 5th. Like the other posting, I too experience blurred vision to the point that I can't tell if the car behind me is law enforcement until it passes. That's a good thing, right? I hope it's not a balance in the engine, as previously mentioned. I like to think that, if I take care of my bike, it will take care of me.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Vibration, what vibration? Compared to the HD sporster of old, read old as pre 2003, the vibration was so bad that you couldn't tell if a car was behind you above 35 mph unless it was at night, let alone identifying what type of car it was. Mirrors were a totally useless accessory. The law required mirrors, but failed to require they be of any use. HD met the letter of the law, but not the intent.

With a 52 degree V layout and uneven power pulses of the V twins, fundamental imbalances exists. A 90 degree layout such as Ducati and some others (SV 650) use are well balanced as the primary dynamics are nearly perfect, leaving only secondary imbalances. The 45, 52, etc angles seek a compromise of poorer primary dynamics offset by improved secondary dynamics. As a compromise, there will be some RPMs that the compromise works better at than others. Such is the world of compromise. {All the above is assuming single pin crankshafts}

So, yes there is some minor vibration, but I think the 900 does pretty good all in all.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
I suggest you bring the bike up to the speed where you feel the most vibration then pull in the clutch letting the engine return to idle. Does the vibration immediately go away or just start to taper off as the bike slows?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've gone round the bike and checked the engine mounts and found them all tight... gonna try again today and check exhaust bolts etc. to see if I can locate anywhere specific to the vibration.. it is quite clear to hear and feel even in neutral... if I find nothing I think I'll just have to get used to it, it's a very clean and comfortable ride up to 70/75 mph and my riding style doesn't require me to go much harder than that ( must be gettin old.! :()... and with the screen and other add ons 75 is the max advised speed anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have noticed that, in 5th gear at higher speeds, the RPMs are higher than I run in any other gear. So, my analysis might not be correct. Being a new machine, I am hesitant to rev the engine more than necessary for preservation of the engine. Based on the previous postings, I ran the RPMs up a little in a lower gear and noticed the vibration, though not as bad. Then again, the RPMs might not have been as high as 70 in 5th. Like the other posting, I too experience blurred vision to the point that I can't tell if the car behind me is law enforcement until it passes. That's a good thing, right? I hope it's not a balance in the engine, as previously mentioned. I like to think that, if I take care of my bike, it will take care of me.
I think I've made a breakthru on this issue.., went round it with the spanners and found a couple of nuts at the exhaust that turned another 1/4 turn or so..., might not seem like much but the harsh vibration I was experiencing seems to have gone... couldn't take it too far today but the lower gears seem fine and was able to almost reach 60 in 4th without my eyeballs rattlin around my skull... the bike feels a lot smoother and I feel a lot happier.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Two at the connection to the first cylinder turned the most, and two where it mounts at the frame turned a little also..., the fella who sold me the bike was also sellin a pair of cobra dragsters.., I was thinkin he might have had them on the bike but switched the stocks back on before sellin and maybe didn't tighten the nuts up just as much... like I say they didn't tighten all that much but theres a noticible difference.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Kay, you know the cylinder head acorns are 14 ft/lbs on torque right? Not just as tight as you can turn em? If it starts popping alot on decel order some muffler gaskets and put em on again in 4 steps. Make em touch, then 5, 10 and 14 pounds. Ride it for a while and after it cools set it back to 14 pounds as it will have loosed a bit. Do that and then check it a little later, sometimes it loosens again.

Didn't like the look of the Cobras? Sound? Just saying, if it starts popping and you have to do stuff to the exhaust it might be a good time to swap. We can MAKE it leak and get you a bottle of Visine so you can go inside and say 'Honey, my bike won't stop backfiring and the guy says I need to put new pipes on to fix it!'

The Visine well help you tear up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Somebody give Shiloh a Kleenex and direct him to the nearest Harley thread.

I just returned from the Dragon. (Well worth the trip!) I definately need a couple of more gears. I didn't see the unmarked cop are behind me (with his lights on) until he sounded the siren. Then it took a few seconds. I'll try torquing the exhaust acorns to 14 and shop for rear sprockets. Being a new bike, it's very possible that the exhaust bolts have loosened. It's starting to pop on decel but I was rather enjoying the sounds. :)

How difficult is it to change the rear sprocket? I'm concerned that I won't be able to get the rear wheel strait or maybe over-tighten the belt upon re-assemble. Is there a good belt upgrade option while I have it apart?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts