Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
what is the best way to cut down
Remove windshield and cut from the bottom part.
I used the chrome strip as a template and cut with a jig saw.
Then just re-drill holes and bolt it back on.
Lowered it about 1 3/4 inch and now it's perfect and since I cut from the bottom no one can tell that my cut was not straight.....lol

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
what is the best way to cut down
Use masking tape on the shield, 3" above AND below where you want to cut it. Use another shield if possible, as a template to trace the line for cutting. Cut with a fine-tooth jigsaw, at least 10-12 teeth per inch. Just TAKE YOUR TIME cutting. After cutting, remove tape, then use a hand-held orbital sander with fine-grit sandpaper to smooth and round the edges. Take care to not let the sander to slip and scratch the shield's surface. This is not a difficult job, as long as you take your time.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I too think my stock shield is too tall and want to cut it down. My fear is, I am not sure how much to cut. I like the fact that I can hear the stereo, but I need a bit more air flow and don't want to over do it. As of the stock shield, I look through it, and I believe the norm is suppose to be just above it? Any advice or tips would be great.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
I too think my stock shield is too tall and want to cut it down. My fear is, I am not sure how much to cut. I like the fact that I can hear the stereo, but I need a bit more air flow and don't want to over do it. As of the stock shield, I look through it, and I believe the norm is suppose to be just above it? Any advice or tips would be great.
The only times you NEED to be able to see over it are at night and in the rain, and especially on a rainy night!! The advice I was given to find the correct height was to sit on the bike with feet on the boards and try to estimate the spot on the shield directly even with the tip of your nose. Then put a strip of masking tape (top edge, of course) across the shield in that spot and just ride the bike for a couple of days. Make adjustments, if necessary. Once you ride a couple of days and see that the tape is in the highest spot possible without blocking your vision of the road, you are ready to cut.

After reading Outforit's post, I amend my post by suggestion by including his idea. After using the tape to see where to cut it, measure the distance to be cut, and then cut it from the bottom and redrill the holes.

·
BOTM Winner, April 2013
701 Posts
Lowered it about 1 3/4 inch and now it's perfect and since I cut from the bottom no one can tell that my cut was not straight.....lol
Brilliant!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
The only times you NEED to be able to see over it are at night and in the rain, and especially on a rainy night!! The advice I was given to find the correct height was to sit on the bike with feet on the boards and try to estimate the spot on the shield directly even with the tip of your nose. Then put a strip of masking tape (top edge, of course) across the shield in that spot and just ride the bike for a couple of days. Make adjustments, if necessary. Once you ride a couple of days and see that the tape is in the highest spot possible without blocking your vision of the road, you are ready to cut.

After reading Outforit's post, I amend my post by suggestion by including his idea. After using the tape to see where to cut it, measure the distance to be cut, and then cut it from the bottom and redrill the holes.
Awesome idea. Now all I got to do is get the nerve up to follow through with the saw :) The tape part is easy :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
just cut 2 inches off worked great now see how that works if i can see when it fogs up at 5:00 am and the deer are out here in pa then it was a success

1 - 8 of 8 Posts