Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So I broke down and removed the trunk on my 2013 Voyager. Looks real nice. There is a bit of a dead space between the bags and the fender but I can deal with it. No on to the purpose for my post. Have been looking at back rests for my passenger and since the Voyager isn't made to have one, finding one is hard to do. I have seen the Vulcan ones but the price was just too much. Here is a link to a site I have been in contact with. They look nice and they should fit just fine. Just thought I would share. I'll post up some photos when I get some.

www.cavalrycustoms.com

Also here is a profile shot of my Lola without her booty. Lol

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
You inspired me to do the same thing. I like the look except the gap in the rear

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
You guys are taking them off and I would give anything (but the 1600 bucks) to have one...

·
Registered
580 Posts
I have a buddy who is very handy with aluminum and has built his own racks and back rests, etc. He's going to make some kind of a filler plate to install on both sides in the gap between bag and bike (powder coated) We're also going to see what we can do to make it truly quick release or possibly on a rail so i can adjust it forward to just behind me.....now that would be heavenly :). Good thing he is handy.....and retired.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are some more pics. Only takes about 5-10 minutes to put the trunk back on. The holes to mount the trunk are about 10" apart and the back rests I linked you to are closer to 8" so they won't work.

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
Here are some more pics. Only takes about 5-10 minutes to put the trunk back on. The holes to mount the trunk are about 10" apart and the back rests I linked you to are closer to 8" so they won't work.
I see you put the small pieces of trim back on both sides, I never thought of that :confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
TS you wouldn't happen to have the part numbers we need for that do you? It would be wise for Kaw to produce these parts. There is a lot of money to be had with this.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
I added it up one day and it's about $1,400 or so worth of parts between the trim and the actual backrest (without the rack). At that price, I can't rationalize the change.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
You guys are taking them off and I would give anything (but the 1600 bucks) to have one...
Me too. New one is too damn expensive. My backrest mount bolts pulled right thru that thin ABS plastic. Also, I put a rack on the top of the lid and it spider cracked around the mount holes. Kawasaki wouldn't honor a warranty claim for the backrest mount bolts pulling thru. They claimed that they had never had that issue before so I must have over loaded the trunk. The dealer focused on the other issues which wasn't that much of a concern to me instead of the backrest issue. When he called me to tell my that the claim had been denied, he didn't even have a clue as to what my claim was. I suspect that the dealer gets some sort of kick back if they can write up a claim so it will be denied. He told me that Kawasaki would send me a new backrest. That wasn't even the issue. It was the trunk lid that had failed around the mount holes. I guess, so much for the Kawasaki warranty. Probably when you ride off the lot, you're on your own. Or maybe, it's the dealer. I was able to work some washers and get them to hold the backrest on. I won't buy another Kawasaki. Over the years I've owned several Hondas and in all that time not one warranty claim. Must be a better machine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't see spending that much for a backrest either but I need something. Only bought the voyager because of the price. Maybe I'll check some junk yards for a nomad

·
Premium Member
1,186 Posts
I'll trade you...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Removing the Trunk

I wanted a bagger, so I removed the trunk and all the trim. I made my filler pieces to cover the bag frames out of 16 gauge steel, and had them powder coated gloss black. You can see how I mounted the antenna and used the trunk light wiring on some LED strip lights. The steel, strip lights, fasteners and powder coating ran me around 200 bucks.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I wanted a bagger, so I removed the trunk and all the trim. I made my filler pieces to cover the bag frames out of 16 gauge steel, and had them powder coated gloss black. You can see how I mounted the antenna and used the trunk light wiring on some LED strip lights. The steel, strip lights, fasteners and powder coating ran me around 200 bucks.

That looks really good, you did a fine job

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I picked up a nomad backrest from a guy who put the trunk kit on his nomad. Works well for me and the MRS.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Well, I've been searching since March and finally found a Nomad backrest. I got these parts on eBay from 5 separate auctions. One piece was cracked, but I ordered an new OE one to replace it. I don't expect to put it on anytime real soon (have some surgery coming up) but the plan is to put it on with a Cobra luggage rack to lighten up the bike a bit and compensate for me being heavy. I think I'll like the looks as well.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow looks similar to a Vaquero.... Probably be eaier to put Voyager/Nomad bag on the Vaquesro...
Not compatible. They aren't a straight bolt on, the Voyager bags use a different bolt and mounting setup. And the Vaquero trim won't line up with Voyager/Nomad bags.

I love the look of a Voyager without the Tour Pak; and the quick and easy on and off looks cool. But those side opening bags and stretched look of the painted alike semi-seamless trim is just so darn good looking.

Even if it would work, I think Voyager/Nomad bags would just destroy the look of a Vaquero.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Not compatible. They aren't a straight bolt on, the Voyager bags use a different bolt and mounting setup. And the Vaquero trim won't line up with Voyager/Nomad bags.

I love the look of a Voyager without the Tour Pak; and the quick and easy on and off looks cool. But those side opening bags and stretched look of the painted alike semi-seamless trim is just so darn good looking
Too bad so many guys ruin the look by putting on touring seats and that ugly Vaquero passengers backrest.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Too bad so many guys ruin the look by putting on touring seats and that ugly Vaquero passengers backrest.
Hehe. Yep!

Hey, the seat is key on/off on the Vaquero. Mere seconds and I can have my sleek (and useless) stock seat right back on :p

1 - 20 of 28 Posts