Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still planning on getting a Voyager later this year, but a big concern I have is my parking garage at work. It's underneath my building, and the exit ramp to the street is pretty steep. Most of the time I can just turn into it and shoot straight up to the street, but occasionally like yesterday, cars are backed up on the ramp requiring me to stop and go a few times before it levels out. Not a really a problem on my 500lb Suzi Bandit 1250, although occasionally this process can take several minutes which can get a little tiring. I've got a 34" inseam, so keeping my left foot firmly planted while holding down the rear brake with my right won't be an issue, but dealing with 900lbs in this situation concerns me.

Do any of you commuters deal with this issue and find it doable?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I commute every day, rain or shine, and I work in Seattle which is nothing but hills. It's not a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I commute every day, rain or shine, and I work in Seattle which is nothing but hills. It's not a problem.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Gordo - since I've never been to Seattle, would you say you can do stop and go on hills with about a 20% grade? That's about what my garage exit ramp is.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Toku57 Go for a Voyager. Then go practice riding on your garage ramp during the weekend or when traffic is not a problem. To me it's about practice and getting that confidence you need. You will be fine! Ride safe.

·
Registered
154 Posts
If you can do it on a smaller bike, and you are otherwise comfortable with a 900 lb.. plus big bike, you can master a 20% grade as well. I am south of GordoTKP in Tacoma WA and we have some hills off downtown that are probably in excess of 20%. Never have had a problem from dead stop proceeding uphill on my Voyager.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toku57 Go for a Voyager. Then go practice riding on your garage ramp during the weekend or when traffic is not a problem. To me it's about practice and getting that confidence you need. You will be fine! Ride safe.
Good idea - thanks.

If you can do it on a smaller bike, and you are otherwise comfortable with a 900 lb.. plus big bike, you can master a 20% grade as well. I am south of GordoTKP in Tacoma WA and we have some hills off downtown that are probably in excess of 20%. Never have had a problem from dead stop proceeding uphill on my Voyager.
Thanks - good to know.

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
Another thing you can do it get riding boots with 1 to 1 1/2 thick soles. Or have a good shoe shop put the thick soles on your favorite boots. If they have ever serviced motor officers they will know what to do. That will help keep your foot planted. I worked with lots of short legged motor officers that did that. Me, I am 6-2 so I have no issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts