Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. A lot of great information here. I have a pricing question I hope you can help me with. A local dealer has several new 2010 non-ABS Voyagers for $14,000 out the door. Sounds like a good deal but not sure, I'm sure there is some wiggle room there. Any issues with the 2010's?? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I looked at E Bay and saw a 2011 Voyager for $13,700.00 so about 15k drive out. So I would try for a 2011 a year newer unless maybe he sweeten's the deal. Just my opinion but you may like the colors better in 2010. There was a ecu recall I believe on that year model. Maybe somebody will confirm that. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
New to the forum. A lot of great information here. I have a pricing question I hope you can help me with. A local dealer has several new 2010 non-ABS Voyagers for $14,000 out the door. Sounds like a good deal but not sure, I'm sure there is some wiggle room there. Any issues with the 2010's?? Any help is appreciated.
You bet that's a good deal. I paid $19,614 out the door. I bought the first one that my dealer got in 09 and of course there was no room for dealing. But I feel that price out the door you quoted is very good. If you offer him cash you can get even a better deal. I heard the latest models have heat deflecting parts for less heat on the rider.
Let us know. :)

·
Premium Member
1,705 Posts
The end of July I gave 14,800 for my 2011...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate the replies. That was his initial offer so I'm sure there is some room to bargain along with the purchase of some accessories. He had a 2012 (White/Gold) for $16,500 out the door. Both the 2010 and 2012 were still in the boxes. They are assembling this week so I want to go by and see the 2012 put together. The White/Gold did not jump out at me like I thought it would. I do like the Red/Black on the 2010. I'm thinking a 2011 would be about $15,250.

·
Registered
170 Posts
$15700 is a very good out the door for a 2011 Voyager.

sent from mobile device.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I paid $14,200 for my 2010 Voyager with a 6 year warranty about 8 months ago. I think I got a good deal. The warranty alone should have cost about $1300.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
I still believe the red/black is the best color for a Voyager that Kawasaki has produced so far, but I am biased. I ended up buying a couple years before I was ready to part with my Voyager XII because my wife fell in love with that color and wanted to be seen riding on that bike. Anything that gets her riding with me is a good thing.

Make sure they put a new ECU in the 2010. Also the 2010 has slash cut exhaust and it is slightly louder 4Db than the newer bikes. Also the 2010 has more get up and go off the line because they changed the 1st and 2nd gearing for the later bikes to appease those who thought the shifting was too loud.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Bubba in NV - Was $14,800 out the door?

Vulcan1700 - Very good information to know, thanks.

twowheeladdict - I really like the red/black combo too. I did notice the revised gearing. Is there a noticeable difference noise wise between a 2010 and 2011, gear wise?

·
Registered
894 Posts
A good price is whatever you are happy and able to pay while still being happy with the bike. My 2011 ABS set me back $15,153 out the door in July - I am still very happy with that - Go to the dealer armed with the info of what others have available on the internet and let him know (or think) you are willing to travel to get a better deal - You should be able to find an 11 now in the mid to low 14's. It's the season where the buyer rules - Next year's models are out and its time for the winter freeze - A leftover 11 should get you a good deal - a left over 10 should get you a great deal! Major differences between the two are taller gears on the 11 and a freeer flowing tapered exhaust . . . Both are great bikes!

2010 Non ABS 12,995 in New Jersey (I have heard good things about this dealer)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-2010-KAWASAKI-VULCAN-1700-VOYAGER-RED-VN17-SALE-/290622868879?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item43aa790d8f

2011 13,695

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-Vulcan-VN1700-VN-1700-VN17-ABF-VOYAGER-2011-KAWASAKI-VULCAN-VOYAGER-VN1700ABF-BLACK-11-SALE-/270837286121?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item3f0f2904e9

Just some food for thought . . .

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Napom, I understand a good deal is what I'm happy with. Just trying to get as much information prior to negotiating with them. I guess the problem is they are known for offering the lowest prices. I'm in NC and people from NY to FL come to buy from them. I appreciate the links, they add a $498 dealer fee which my guy doesn't. Just trying to figure my bottom line with about $700 in accessories. I appreciate the responses, lets me know what others have done and gives me more info. going in.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
twowheeladdict - I really like the red/black combo too. I did notice the revised gearing. Is there a noticeable difference noise wise between a 2010 and 2011, gear wise?
I rode the 2011 at demo rides several times. There is no difference in gear noise. There is very little difference in shift noise IMO. There is noticable difference in off the line acceleration IMO. Your results may vary. After riding the 2011s I was happy I bought the 2010, but I may just be justifying my purchase.

Napom, I understand a good deal is what I'm happy with. Just trying to get as much information prior to negotiating with them. I guess the problem is they are known for offering the lowest prices. I'm in NC and people from NY to FL come to buy from them. I appreciate the links, they add a $498 dealer fee which my guy doesn't. Just trying to figure my bottom line with about $700 in accessories. I appreciate the responses, lets me know what others have done and gives me more info. going in.
I have decided that dealer markup on accessories is 40% give or take. I believe you should be able to negotiate 25 to 30% off on accessories you buy at the time of purchase. Possibly more if you let them install said accessories so they earn the labor cost. 20% off tends to be standard from online vendors.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Twowheeladdict - Thanks for all the great information. I was pricing my accessories and actually discounted them 20%. Guess I was on the same page there. They will have a 2012 and the 2010 put together on Friday so will see how it goes.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I believe I know what dealer you are talking about In July, they only had a Non-ABS at a lower OTD price than he is quoting you now . . . I called him to see if I could get an ABS one from him but since it wasn't in stock he couldn't do much better on the price - I used his non ABS price against my dealer though to get mine down to where I was happy . . .

2 Wheel is right about the accessories - Get them down too by using the internet prices and saying they can install some - The list for the complete CB set up and Rear speakers was over $1200. I got it all on the bike for just over 900. You are in a better place to dela since you can just walk away from the whole bike - or at least make them think that! Good Luck!

·
Registered
392 Posts
the dealer here (irving, tx) has a 2010 blk/red Voyager for $16K OTD. 2011's are gone, 2012's not here yet. Same dealer has 2011 Vaquero blk for $14K OTD.

also Kawasaki might give dealer incentives starting at the begining of the month. These numbers might change.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to everyone that responded. A lot of good information.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
62 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the 2010 model. I have a 2011 model and it has no get up and go from a stand still especially two up. If you want to do yourself a real favor look at the Yamaha Stratoliner. Don't get me wrong I do like my voyager but it's a dog compared to my 06 Stratoliner.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Do yourself a favor and get the 2010 model. I have a 2011 model and it has no get up and go from a stand still especially two up. If you want to do yourself a real favor look at the Yamaha Stratoliner. Don't get me wrong I do like my voyager but it's a dog compared to my 06 Stratoliner.
The stratoliner is a nice bike, but it doesn't even compare to the Voyager as a touring bike. Remember that the 1700s make peak torque and HP at higher RPMs than the Yamaha bikes. You got to rev these big V-twins.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Stratoliner is a great bike. Good friend has one but it doesn't fit me. I'm 5'7" and the ergonomics just don't work. Really looking at something for long distance touring, two up many times. Going to look at the 2010 and 2012 Voyager this weekend. I appreciate the input.

·
Registered
22 Posts
14 is a pretty good price - I just bought a 2010ABS model, for 14400. With the 2012 models out, you may get them to negotiate. There was the ECU recall, I have put about 800 MI on mine in two weeks, no known issues.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts