Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon from Houston Texas!

New owner of a 2017 Vulcan 1700 Voyager here and new to the forums.

I just bought the bike a little over 3 weeks ago and have been riding it about as much as weather will permit. I plan on having it a while, and wanted to get some suggestions / tips from the veterans on this forum regarding maintenance, upgrades, and whatever little nuances this particular model has that I should be aware of. She's got about 3,000 miles on her - so still pretty new.

Any sage wisdom out there that comes to mind? Any tips are appreciated - just trying to learn as much as I can about the bike from those who have been there before. I'm sure I'll have more specific questions in the future.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Spend some time reading the forums... This one, and the Vulcan Bagger Forums are where you'll find the best info, and there are Facebook groups as well if you're into that. With that reading, you'll soon figure out what the usual upgrades are. Number one on the upgrade list for me was a re-flash of the ECU by Ivan's Performance Products, but the first couple of things you'll want to take care of are likely an over-tight drive belt which will chirp, creak & squeak until it's loosened, and a rattle you might experience when decelerating at around 30mph from the front of the chrome tank trim. That's fixed with a little sponge rubber packing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'll second Peg's thoughts. Search the forum for whatever you think of first. Lotsa info buried here.
Aftermarket tires can last 15-20,000 kms. Not a darkside fan.
A rolled up sheepskin helps with seat position. Highway pegs a must.
Upgraded the suspension after a few seasons, stock is too soft, wallows a bit.
ABS saved bacon a few times on sudden turnpike slowdowns. (Portlandia?)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the 1700 Vulcan World. The Voyager is a great bike. Below is what I offer to new Voyager Owners -
Advise to new Voyager/Vaquero owners - Read through the Owners Manual - You will learn things #1 where the Accessory ports are as well as how to set the Clocks, Tripometers and Idle. #2. Learn how to check the OIL - It's more than pulling the dip stick. #3. When changing the Oil there are 2 drain plugs - both must be drained and both have crush washers. Keep track of your Crush Washers. #4. The Horn button isn't where your thumb thinks it should be. Practice blowing the horn. (It will also let your neighbors know you got a new bike). #5. Practice using the turn signals. The radio volume button is very close to the turn signals. I signaled right hand turns for quite a while by turning up the radio.. Most of all Have Fun - Ride Safe

·
Registered
11 Posts
Several other things:
#1 - The Ivan re-flash really is as good as they say. http://www.ivansperformanceproducts.com/vn1700.htm
#2 - Your rear tire will wear out around 7-8,000 miles (There are other longer lasting tires - I like Dunlop American Elite. I consistently get 15,000 miles rear wear)
#3 - Michelin Commander II will more than likely wobble in the front.
#4 - All Balls Bearings fixes the wobble. https://www.allballsracing.com/22-1039.html
#5 - Chuckster's Risers are a good things. https://chucksterscustoms.com/product/vn1700-nomad-classic-and-voyager-handlebar-risers/
#6 - Mirror Extenders help to see more of behind you than you in the mirrors. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-CNC-Mirrors-Riser-Extender-For-Kawasaki-Voyager-Vulcan-1700-09-14/151488374633?fits=Model:Voyager+XII|Make:Kawasaki&hash=item2345692769:g:XzgAAOxyUylTQg8b
#7 - Oil - Yes I said Oil. Many opinions on this one. Mobile 1, Amsoil, Canola, Kawasaki, Shell Rotella T6. The big thing here is that you should find an oil you like that had the JASO-MA/MA2 rating for use with wet clutches. I personally use the Rotella T6 and change it every 5 - 7,000 miles.
#8 - Brakes - OEM brake pads have worked the best for me - not the cheapest but they are clean. Tried EBC's once had Brake dust all over every thing. (Your mileage may vary)
#9 - Seats - Many choices here - Corbin, Mustang, Ultimate - For comfort the Russell Daylong is the winner for me. Actually, I keep jacking up my Daylong seat and sliding a new Voyager under it every now and then 09, 13 and 14. https://day-long.com/
#10 - F11 Top Coat is expensive but it's worth it. Keep that ride Bright and Shinny https://topcoat.store/collections/f11-products

Ride Safe - Have Fun
Mike Fay

·
Registered
754 Posts
Nice to see you here Mike!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I guess I must have missed this forum. The good thing is the conversation is the same and between you and I we have seen just about everything with these.

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? I did quite a write-up over on Facebook. Not sure if you were aware you could change them. Dirty-Dirty!

Nice to see you here Mike!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I guess I must have missed this forum. The good thing is the conversation is the same and between you and I we have seen just about everything with these.

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? I did quite a write-up over on Facebook. Not sure if you were aware you could change them. Dirty-Dirty!
I'm pleased you keep finding new things for us all to do Mike <rolls eyes> although I'll take some comfort from the knowledge that your fuel in the US can have a lot more crud in it than ours down here. That photo has me thinking it's certainly something I should take a look at though.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? I did quite a write-up over on Facebook. Not sure if you were aware you could change them. Dirty-Dirty! View attachment 240127
Mike where is this filter at in the tank on fuel pump?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts

Have you ever changed your fuel filter? I did quite a write-up over on Facebook. Not sure if you were aware you could change them. Dirty-Dirty! View attachment 240127
What bike is this from? My Vaquero manual doesn't show anything like this.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
On the brakes, they are linked brakes on ABS models. If you are the type that uses the rear brake a lot by itself, the right front is linked with it and will wear out faster than the left front. When applying he front brake, both front and the rear are applied. This linking does not happen at slow speeds, below 7 mph I believe it is. You may notice as you come to a stop, a slight pressure change in the rear pedal if front and rear brakes are used. Engineered Adapters is a great source for speaker and radio adapters to use after market radios and 6 1/2 inch front speakers. Many also add an amp under the fairing. You can find Engineered Adapters on facebook, and I believe he is on the VulcanBagger forum mentioned above.

·
Registered
754 Posts
The manual (produced by Kaw) says:

Fuel Filter Cleaning
○ The fuel filter [A] is built into the pump and cannot be
cleaned or checked.
○ If the fuel filter is suspected of clogging or being damaged,
replace it with the fuel pump as a set.
Ron Ayers parts fiche shows the OEM fuel pump at $654.06 :oops:

So I for one am extremely pleased that Mike has published his "how too" on Facebook, with a link to where to buy the filters ($15 a set of 3, free shipping within US). And I see that Quantum Fuel Systems sells a complete fuel pump kit for $70? That site is bookmarked! Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The manual (produced by Kaw) says:

Ron Ayers parts fiche shows the OEM fuel pump at $654.06 :oops:

So I for one am extremely pleased that Mike has published his "how too" on Facebook, with a link to where to buy the filters ($15 a set of 3, free shipping within US). And I see that Quantum Fuel Systems sells a complete fuel pump kit for $70? That site is bookmarked! Thanks Mike!
book marked the quantum site to. kawasaki is like honda, quite proud of their parts and think they are made from gold.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Who carries this filter ,I called dealership and service dept told me there is not a listing for filter seperate
Just to make sure you saw it - I started another thread called "
Fuel Filter Replacement - 1700 Voyager and Vaquero"
This has a pictorial on how to perform the fuel filter change and where to get the filters.
Hope that helped.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts