Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Mustang saddle and wonder what the passenger's opinion of the difference (than the stock passenger pillion) is. Seems like the passenger pillion is shorter and stiffer on the Mustang. Any co-rider's input?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Interesting. I don't have a Mustang on my Voyager, but had one on my last bike. The Mustang passenger pillion was like 2 1/2 times as thick/padded than the OEM Yamaha V Star 1100 one was. Interested to see comments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had the Mustang wide touring seat with driver back rest on my Voyager last year. I loved it as it gave me way more support than stock seat with Grasshopper back rest. My wife hated the Mustang, said it was too hard. So I sold the Mustang and am back to stock.

·
Registered
657 Posts
My Mustang is now my "around town" seat, for rider only. My passenger hated it... It moved the rider back to give her even less room back there than ever, and was too flat, so that every bump shifted her forward on the seat. I had a good run with the Mustang's on the previous two bikes, but they missed the mark with the Voyager.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Answers I received from my question, are what I was concerned about. I too, have tried Mustang seats on other bikes, and jumped on this one because the previous owner used it only one week and traded his Voyager in on an Indian, at Sturgis. Sold it to me for $350. I tried it and like it as a rider saddle. Will take Wifey on it, to see her reaction. Appreciate replies from " auwing, Mike t, and peg" !

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rode with wife last night, and she said the Mustang seat was not as wide as original, and somewhat firmer, but was comfortable. She actually preferred it with my rider backrest in place. Thanks for feedback - looks like I didn't waste my money on it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My passenger has the same thoughts on the Mustang pillion seat as the others who posted. Her comparison is the Kawasaki Pillow Top gel seat. I put a gel pad for an office chair cut to fit on top of the seat and sometimes a bead seat on top of that for her if we are going on longer trips.
Boosts her up to be able to see over my head and I can still have my extra comfy wide Mustang seat with riders backrest. Best compromise we could come up with.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The passenger seat on the back rest model appears to be a little shorter than stock (to make room for the back rest post). And a little firmer (which is usual for Mustang). Strangely enough the only "complaint" one of my usual passengers had on the seat is that the shape and position caused some "good vibrations" for her when I hit the mid rpms on the bike. ;)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
Mustang seat does seem to allow passenger to slide forward on bumps and braking. Outside of that, I have had nothing but compliments on the comfort

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mustang seat does seem to allow passenger to slide forward on bumps and braking. Outside of that, I have had nothing but compliments on the comfort
Yes, my passenger noticed that, too. And that it seemed narrower. However, she said it was comfortable, overall. Especially the way it adds more cushion to dampen bumps ( although the suspension on these bikes is good, anyway). We went for several rides and she prefers the rider (my) backrest installed. Might be that stopped the "Forward-Sliding" feeling. As far as me, I feel it is an improvement over the stock saddle. I always seemed to need to reset my tail bone back into the stock saddle. That has been eliminated completely, with this Mustang saddle. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When installing the Mustang seat, you have to remove the latch mechanism from the stock seat, and install it onto the Mustang (just 2 bolts). I shimmed the space between the mechanism mounting-plate and the seat pan, with washers, when I transferred it to the Mustang saddle. That seemed to help the latch to "Click", more easily, when you push the seat onto the bike.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mustang seat (wide touring) for passenger is smaller both in length and width. The driver is pushed back giving less room. The sides roll down so there is less to sit on. I used OEM for two up riding.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mustang seat (wide touring) for passenger is smaller both in length and width. The driver is pushed back giving less room. The sides roll down so there is less to sit on. I used OEM for two up riding.
True, the Mustang gives me a more "Relaxed" feel, while my passenger feels more "Tucked-In". She said she likes it, and more-so, when the rider's backrest is installed. Reminds me of our Harley Road Glide, when we got the " Sundowner" saddle - she said the same thing (but we had no backrest on that one). The denser foam padding and custom shaping of the seat, makes Mustang and Corbin saddles feel differently, too. Obviously, riders buy these custom saddles for their own benefit. I wanted to consider "Wifey" and her comfort, as well, in this case. Thanks for the feedback - it helps to have other's opinions!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts